uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 28: Maryland

HuskerFever

21 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

They were my second favorite, yep.  I just didn’t think the defense Doc was running with that group would be sustainable without 5 interchangeable guards.  Fred’s defense of running the three pointers off and then rotating with anticipation is so fun to watch for me personally. 

Loenser's defense.  And it is a blast to watch. 

3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I believe you are.  Loenser has  every scout and adjusts the defense accordingly.  We are playing a variety of defenses, but obviously Howard has had a huge impact as well.  

The defense we are playing, the base package, is 100%, entirely, completely, Howard’s matchup zone. Pass off first cutters, go with next guy and dribblers, Walker hard hedges or soft hedges ball screens while they pre-tag and then rotate top down, etc… this is entirely his defense. 

I’m sure Loesner scouts and whatnot and can make adjustments, but it’s assuredly not “his” defense. 

Within striking distance...

8-7 Illinois (v MN, v NW, @ OSU, v Mich, @ PU)

8-7 Michigan State (v IU, @ Iowa, @ NU, v OSU)

7-9 Wisconsin (v Iowa, @ Mich, v PU, @ MN)

7-9 Penn State (@ OSU, v RU, @ NW, v MD)

7-10 Nebraska (v MN, v MSU, @ Iowa)

3-13 Ohio State (v PSU, v Ill, v MD, @ MSU)

1-13 Minnesota (@ Ill, @ MD, @ NU, v RU, v UW)

6 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

The defense we are playing, the base package, is 100%, entirely, completely, Howard’s matchup zone. Pass off first cutters, go with next guy and dribblers, Walker hard hedges or soft hedges ball screens while they pre-tag and then rotate top down, etc… this is entirely his defense. 

I’m sure Loesner scouts and whatnot and can make adjustments, but it’s assuredly not “his” defense. 

He is the defensive coordinator.  Howards schemes obviously a large part of it. 

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I think we need to resurface this. Here is the current status of our predictions:

Total Wins (predicted at start of season):

88% predicted wins at or below 14 total wins

Remaining predictions: 15 (x2), 16 (x2), 19

Conference Wins (predicted in December):

97% predicted wins at or below 7 conference wins

Remaining predictions: 8 (x2)

I had picked 15 & 8. It was my hope for an even end-of-season record. It might not have been optimistic enough. GBR

20 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Certainly not trying to argue, but you were asking if you were missing something.  They brought it up on a recent broadcast how he was in charge of the defense.  Also Sam Hoiberg on his radio show earlier this year said the same thing.  He also has extensive defensive background going back to working with Larry Eustachy at Iowa St and S. Miss.  It also was fairly obvious to me that he took over the defense late in the year for Doc last year and the results showed it.  It coincided with DOC turning his back to the team on the sideline and ultimately being relieved of his role.  (yeah yeah, I know Doc wasn't a coach🤣). Obviously any good staff works together well, and I think he and Howard certainly are.  

Edited by royalfan

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Maryland fans think they got screwed too.

That's insane. The refs made sure to KEEP the Terps in the game in the 2nd half by calling some of the worst calls I've ever witnessed. There were some completely bogus calls that went all MD's way. Wow, that's a hot take "Maryland Fans."

Edited by AuroranHusker

3 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That's insane. The refs made sure to KEEP the Terps in the game in the 2nd half by calling some of the worst calls I've ever witnessed. There were some completely bogus calls that went all MD's way. Wow, that's a hot take "Maryland Fans."

Absolutely. There are certain fouls that mean more. That’s especially true with our lack of depth. We got absolutely screwed when the refs changed the way the called the game completely at half