uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 28: Maryland

HuskerFever

We are 5 - 10 against tournament teams according to bracket matrix.  If we can win our final 3 + 1 in tournament, we should have something to watch on Selection Sunday.  

Right now, Wisconsin is the last team in according to the bracket matrix and they are 76 in the NET according to Warren Nolan. 

I have no idea how we won that game. And I don't care.

I thought Fred blew it by not bringing Griesel back sooner, but that group played some of the ugliest offensive basketball I've ever seen without losing any ground while he was sitting.

I'm not sure what Maryland was doing by having Scott try to guard Walker. Huge mistake when Emilien did so well against him at their place. Reese is really good at certain things, but he can't handle DW's strength, so I get them wanting to switch him off. But then you have to double him on the catch or something, because Scott had no chance. On a day we shot 19% from 3, that cost MD the game. I get not wanting to have us rain 3s, but we weren't hitting today, so I'd have taken my chances and ran a double at DW every time in the 2nd half.

I thought Keisei had his best defensive game today. He really worked on that end. We didn't have to junk it up as much on D because he was playing so hard and taking fewer chances. Being able to play straight up more often was a big help on the defensive boards.

Blaise was great again. Hope he can bounce back from the ankle quickly. 

Hoiberg having to guard Young should never have worked, yet he did just enough to keep us in it and then wins the game by baiting them into throwing that lazy pass in OT. That young man has been unreal. He deserves a scholarship, but I think dad can afford to pay his way.

I have never enjoyed watching a team more at any level.

I cannot believe what this roster is doing. 

I’ll tell you what though.  They are smart, unselfish, tough, and will not be outworked.  That‘s a whole lot of erasers for talent gaps.  

Absolutely brilliant coaching.  Both our offensive and defensive schemes are a gimmickless pain to deal with.  You have to have smart, disciplined, tough players to rotate that well defensively.  The foundation for sustained success is being put down in front of us brick by brick by these high character kids and I am HERE FOR IT.  

On 2/19/2023 at 7:58 PM, Nighthawk said:

Kind of wonder what the McGowens brothers were thinking.  "This could have been us had we not been playing me ball last year." 

I feel very confident in saying that those two -- or any of the individual players -- were not the problem the past 3 years.

Edited by throwback

Just now, hskr4life said:

I quite enjoyed Docs Mighty Might team that was the shortest in the nation.

They were my second favorite, yep.  I just didn’t think the defense Doc was running with that group would be sustainable without 5 interchangeable guards.  Fred’s defense of running the three pointers off and then rotating with anticipation is so fun to watch for me personally. 

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm not sure if Blaise will ever play in a game 35+ minutes but if he ever does he could pull down 20 boards. He's a vacuum out there

He’s an extremely smart defensive player for sure.  Good nose for the ball and his help defense is nearly perfect.  I hope Wilhelm can learn from him.  

So, quick background. My youngest son was born back in 2016 in the night we went up to MSU and won on the road, and he's been my basketball buddy since.  This year he's really been getting into(I'm also coaching his basketball team right now) and the 2 of us were both yelling and clapping at the TV the whole second half.  Anyway, this has been a really fun month, I can't believe we came back and won that.  I really thought that one trip for MD where they called us for approx 37 fouls including getting both Sam and DWalk their 3rd was gonna be the end for us.  These guys just do not give up.

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm not sure if Blaise will ever play in a game 35+ minutes but if he ever does he could pull down 20 boards. He's a vacuum out there

I thought he and Wilhelm were huge in the 1st half.  I think Maryland had 8 offensive rebounds early in the 1st half.  I felt Wilhelm and Keita cleaned up the boards once they came in the game.

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

I thought he and Wilhelm were huge in the 1st half.  I think Maryland had 8 offensive rebounds early in the 1st half.  I felt Wilhelm and Keita cleaned up the boards once they came in the game.

It's nice to have a big that can dominate boards for once. And is willing to get dirty on the floor going after balls. Blaise had a nice steal in the 2nd half where he had to go around his knees to get the steal.