IOWA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

3 hours ago, huskerfrank said:

Wait a minute on this freshman thing. Cain and Kissinger were a huge impact. Sam, Ashtyn, and Brown were impact. Issy was kind of impact, and for goodness sake Markowski was an enormous impact just last year. This might be about this year's freshman, but nothing more than that.    

Edited by huskerfrank

I guess it depends on how one defines "impact player".  Cain, Kissinger, Haiby, Veerbeek, and Brown were all on the same team. And Eliely was as valuable as most of those. It doesn't seem plausible to me that a team can have six impact players and have a 14-16 season.  Five or six impact players on one team - that would be like the most successful UConn teams. 

I totally agree on Markowski having had an enormous impact.  Maybe my definition is off base, but I think of Kelsey Griffin, Jordan Hooper, and Lindsey Moore as being impact players

10 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

I guess it depends on how one defines "impact player".  Cain, Kissinger, Haiby, Veerbeek, and Brown were all on the same team. And Eliely was as valuable as most of those. It doesn't seem plausible to me that a team can have six impact players and have a 14-16 season.  Five or six impact players on one team - that would be like the most successful UConn teams. 

I totally agree on Markowski having had an enormous impact.  Maybe my definition is off base, but I think of Kelsey Griffin, Jordan Hooper, and Lindsey Moore as being impact players

I wish I could "Like" your reply, multiple times.  Spot on (IMO).

14 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

This started out being about why we don't have freshmen who impact the program, specifically talking about Amy's recruits. This year it is an issue because Hake gets the most time of the freshman, but certainly not a lot.  So I named a bunch of players who Amy recruited in previous years who either started or played a lot  beginning their freshman year, that was the only criteria. Nicea was not one of Amy's recruits so I didn't include her, Shepard, Whitish or Simon.   

(Game Recap)

Here's the 'Good' News

Huskers Shatter Attendance Record :thumbsup:

(Here's the 'Bad' News (other than we Lost) - A lot of 'em were from Iowa)

image.png

https://huskers.com/news/2023/2/18/womens-basketball-huskers-vs-iowa.aspx

Same 'Ole Story (this season). Treys kept us in the game in the first half, but falling progressively behind in the Second when they quit falling (Nebraksa's 9-0 run (3-treys) at the end were vs Iowa's scrubs), with Iowa running downhill, seemingly 'scoring at will' in the paint, in transition, well executed plays, Clarke Taunting.

This is not to denigrate the ALL GRIT, NO QUIT, Huskers who continued to play to the Final Buzzer. I saw some criticism of Coach Amy leaving starters like Jaz in the game after it was clear we'd lost, but thinking about it that'd be quitting, wouldn't it (And I'm sure Jaz wouldn't want to be pulled). Lady Huskers are a Good Team and well-coached. But the truth is Iowa is an Elite Team, better coached.

Question IS: What Are We (Admin) Going to Do About It?

Not losing Allison to a freak injury would have helped us in many ways which we have already discussed.  A couple of additional portal players with experience would also helped as well. We lost 6 close games this year where our lack of depth really hurt. In the time Amy has been here she hasn't been very successful in getting quality transfers or players in the portal. It will be interesting going forward to see if that changes.

:ph34r:  By not being very successful, do you mean Duds like Jaz Shelley, Maddie Krull, Bella Cravens, Mi'Cole Cayton & Ashley Scoggin.  😉

But I hear what you're saying; players we haven't seen much of, like Nailah Dillard & Kristian Hudson.  Your point being we have a couple of open scholarships that we might have benefited from filling via the portal.

Yes she has had a few good ones in Jaz, Maddie and Bella. The rest not so much. That's not enough in 7 years. There is never a guarantee that they will work out but especially with new coach Keller who has been around a lot of programs I would have rolled the dice to pick up a couple of more for this season.  We started the season with 9 healthy scholarship players.

8 hours ago, Red Don said:

(Game Recap)

Here's the 'Good' News

Huskers Shatter Attendance Record :thumbsup:

(Here's the 'Bad' News (other than we Lost) - A lot of 'em were from Iowa)

image.png

https://huskers.com/news/2023/2/18/womens-basketball-huskers-vs-iowa.aspx

Same 'Ole Story (this season). Treys kept us in the game in the first half, but falling progressively behind in the Second when they quit falling (Nebraksa's 9-0 run (3-treys) at the end were vs Iowa's scrubs), with Iowa running downhill, seemingly 'scoring at will' in the paint, in transition, well executed plays, Clarke Taunting.

This is not to denigrate the ALL GRIT, NO QUIT, Huskers who continued to play to the Final Buzzer. I saw some criticism of Coach Amy leaving starters like Jaz in the game after it was clear we'd lost, but thinking about it that'd be quitting, wouldn't it (And I'm sure Jaz wouldn't want to be pulled). Lady Huskers are a Good Team and well-coached. But the truth is Iowa is an Elite Team, better coached.

Question IS: What Are We (Admin) Going to Do About It?

My concern is Jaz plays more minutes than anyone and why risk injury when the game is no longer in doubt?  

wish i was a little wiser with this computer stuff. anyway, on 93.7 the ticket this morning, there was a little discussion of women's basketball. bill busch, who imo is a fantastic addition to the program, is a funny, smart man when it comes to sports. he has an interesting story on amy williams. if you can find the podcast, its around the 25+minute mark. wish i was better with this stuff, but, he gives some food for thought.

21 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

wish i was a little wiser with this computer stuff. anyway, on 93.7 the ticket this morning, there was a little discussion of women's basketball. bill busch, who imo is a fantastic addition to the program, is a funny, smart man when it comes to sports. he has an interesting story on amy williams. if you can find the podcast, its around the 25+minute mark. wish i was better with this stuff, but, he gives some food for thought.

https://www.fmradiofree.com/podcasts/early-break

21 minutes ago, HUD said:

When I clicked on this I only got 22 minutes so no conversation on WBB.  What was the summary of the discussion?

I think it's in the first segment of the day.  Look down the page for

8336 - PBA was packed on both Saturday and Sunday for Husker hoops…did Nebraska get blanked this weekend or pull through in men’s hoops?