IOWA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Not Surprising.

Elite Players & Elite Coaching vs Good Players and Good Coaching! :nod:

2-Point trys: ... IA - 39; NE - 31 .... (Shots Made: IA - 22; NE - 15)    😬
3-Pointers: ... IA - 20; NE - 33 .... (Treys Made: IA - 10; NE - 7)

FINAL:

image.png

image.png

Edited by Red Don

I'm always at least a little disappointed but obviously not surprised.  Most if not all of the posters here are pretty much on point.  Shots just needed to fall quite a bit more often than they did- some of that due to poor shot selection.  Made a 9-0 run by hitting 3 threes in a row but can't expect to live on that naturally.  Execution not good again for the most part- yes their defense has something to do with that as in every game but some errors were simply unforced which is endemic for this team.  Passes have to be smarter and crisper among other issues.  Offense seems mostly limited to inside post-up scoring or shooting 3s, which you need to be able to convert at a better % than we have.  Not saying all that would have made a difference in this game, simply an analysis of how to perform better overall in games.  Can they "bring it" at Illinois?  It's up to them to bounce back, tho as a fan I'd be a bit surprised to see a victory.  How much do they want to keep playing (into the postseason particularly)?  We shall see.  

Edited by mwm89

We shot  35%, ....they shot 55% overall

You can debate all kinds of other stuff, but when your that outclassed scoring....the games over.

Our 3 shooting was 19%...them 47%. 

But liked our efforts. Fought hard, did the best we could. It just won't happen when your shooting doesn't match the other efforts.

Nice crowd. Congrats to everyone involved. The girls toughed it out, no matter the odds. They should keep their heads up after that effort.

Edited by redsteve

30 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

33 of our 64 shot attempts were 3's, and we made 7.  That's a loser vs anyone. The 3 was meant to make the game more entertaining, but it makes us difficult to watch IMO. Too many players never TAUGHT to learn how to score any other way.   

Fixed it huskerfrank...but yes you right...not taught how to correctly shoot layups, and how to finish layups. shoot short jumpers (we rarely do) etc etc

I have to say I was excited for this season to start.  We had a pretty good season last year and had pretty much all the significant players coming back.  Unfortunately  this season is probably ending in a dud.  As for next year we are losing Haiby and probably Shelly and Bourne.  So unless Coach Williams finds 2-3 very very good portal players, I'm expecting another down season and maybe worse than this years.  I know there are a couple of freshman coming in but it's unrealistic to expect them to be impact players immediately if ever.  I guess we'll need some big time NIL money to get some good ones.

42 minutes ago, longtimefan said:

I have to say I was excited for this season to start.  We had a pretty good season last year and had pretty much all the significant players coming back.  Unfortunately  this season is probably ending in a dud.  As for next year we are losing Haiby and probably Shelly and Bourne.  So unless Coach Williams finds 2-3 very very good portal players, I'm expecting another down season and maybe worse than this years.  I know there are a couple of freshman coming in but it's unrealistic to expect them to be impact players immediately if ever.  I guess we'll need some big time NIL money to get some good ones.

Why is it unrealistic To have freshman impact players.Other teams do it all the time why should we be different. 

3 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Why is it unrealistic To have freshman impact players.Other teams do it all the time why should we be different. 

Other teams don't do it "all the time".  They do it occasionally. But it's clearly the exception, not the rule.  And, generally, they do it with top 25 or so in the nation HS players. And, again generally, teams who do this are adding these impact freshmen to an existing group of older high achieving players. 

Wait a minute on this freshman thing. Cain and Kissinger were a huge impact. Sam, Ashtyn, and Brown were impact. Issy was kind of impact, and for goodness sake Markowski was an enormous impact just last year. This might be about this year's freshman, but nothing more than that.    

Edited by huskerfrank

Just said senior day, nothing about their plans. We know Sam is done, Brady with her health problems should be done. For Jaz and Issie my guess is that they are not coming back. Seems like Sam, Jaz, and Issie are pretty tight knit group. Maybe the want to leave together?

Edited by All About the Corn

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

A side note....

Notice Blubber put in McCabe late in the game and had her shoot threes? Their whole bench was up and yelling when McCabe scored. It seemed pretty planned beforehand.

A little Iowa stick it to you (us).  Blubber wouldn't do that would she ?

No problem with it.  She was playing in front of friends and family.