Maryland (18-8) vs. Nebraska (13-14) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Maryland (18-8) vs. Nebraska (13-14) Game Thread

Last game vs. Maryland, NU shot 53% FG and 43% on 3s, while Maryland shot 45% FG and 35% on 3s, yet NU lost by 19 points.  The contributing factors were:

1. Turnovers (NU-15; MD-10)

2. Offensive Rebounds (NU-4; MD-11)

3. Free Throws (NU 9-15; MD 24-26)

Maryland plays 2 bigs that aren't great 3 point shooters.  Julian Reese is 63% on FG, but hasn't made a 3 all year.  Donta Scott is 40% FG and 30% on 3s. 

Seems like this might be a game to bring back the twin towers of Keita and Walker.  This would help even out the rebounding, and it might help limit the fouls because the NU perimeter players would know they have help in the middle if their guy gets by them so they don't have to hold them or hack them at the rim. 

The question for Fred is whether he wants to muck up the game and try to out muscle them with our bigs, or whether he wants to see if the offensive explosion with the smaller team can keep up its recent trend.

3 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Last game vs. Maryland, NU shot 53% FG and 43% on 3s, while Maryland shot 45% FG and 35% on 3s, yet NU lost by 19 points.  The contributing factors were:

1. Turnovers (NU-15; MD-10)

2. Offensive Rebounds (NU-4; MD-11)

3. Free Throws (NU 9-15; MD 24-26)

Maryland plays 2 bigs that aren't great 3 point shooters.  Julian Reese is 63% on FG, but hasn't made a 3 all year.  Donta Scott is 40% FG and 30% on 3s. 

Seems like this might be a game to bring back the twin towers of Keita and Walker.  This would help even out the rebounding, and it might help limit the fouls because the NU perimeter players would know they have help in the middle if their guy gets by them so they don't have to hold them or hack them at the rim. 

The question for Fred is whether he wants to muck up the game and try to out muscle them with our bigs, or whether he wants to see if the offensive explosion with the smaller team can keep up its recent trend.

Let’s fight Fire with Fire, I’d even Start Blaise & Derrick…

As I remember the first meeting, DW had no problem scoring against and drawing fouls against Reese. It was their backup big (Emilien?) who completely stopped DW - the backup was a thicker dude, less of a shot blocker than Reese. DW seems to have better success vs shot blocker types. Maybe we go with 2 bigs when the backup comes in so we can get DW matched up against the 4?

Regardless, we only took 14 3s in that first matchup - we've been at 20+ 3s in each of the last four games, including 28 at Rutgers. We'll be giving Maryland a far different look offensively than we did the first time.

Found an early line - Turtles by 7.5 - seems high to me. I thought it'd be in the 3 or 4 pt range. I get it though, the final score the first time around made it look like MD kicked the crap out of us.

EDIT: Just noticed MD is 17-9 ATS this season. The line makes way more sense with that information in hand. NU is 10-17 ATS.

Edited by throwback

22 minutes ago, throwback said:

Found an early line - Turtles by 7.5 - seems high to me. I thought it'd be in the 3 or 4 pt range. I get it though, the final score the first time around made it look like MD kicked the crap out of us.

EDIT: Just noticed MD is 17-9 ATS this season. The line makes way more sense with that information in hand. NU is 10-17 ATS.

I'm only talking victories.  In February, the Huskers are 3-1.  Have a good chance of being 6-1 ATW.  These guys are in the middle of a great month, against the wind!  GBR!

45 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

While heading east on I 80 Friday west of Lincoln, I passed a semi that had Breidenbach Trucking on the cab door.  I'm guessing someone with that last name will have a great game tomorrow for the Huskers. 🙂

I thought it was a long & lonesome highway East of Omaha…

Bill Selfish just was talking about how the crowd played a huge factor, but it took the team making big plays to get them going.

Tomorrow we need the crowd to bring it even when we are down. There likely will be a couple bad segments of the game. This is when they absolutely need the crowd the most. When our energy gets low, the crowd absolutely needs to bring them back.

I have a good feeling about tomorrow, but it’s gonna take a great game by the team and the fans.

GBR! Let’s have some fun!