MINNESOTA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

6 minutes ago, KLamp21 said:

You said Sam was the best in the last 7 years. I believe Allison is more athletic. I wasn't comparing us against any other team. 

I have had season tickets for over 10 years, so I have seen plenty B1G basketball. Sorry for having a different opinion. 

No need to apologize.  Have any opinion you want.  .  The discussion started with recruiting athleticism, and if you think we’re doing good in that department, own it.  

think back to when the clock was winding down at the of the 2nd quarter. Huskers had possession and an opportunity to hold for the last shot.  Sam shot too soon - leaving Minni with the last possession.  At which MM committed a needless foul after which MInni hit two free throws.  As has happened so often with this team, the opponent scored on a possession that never should have happened. 

We may be headed for a Wednesday play in game. A .500 record is where we likely end up.  We aren’t going to beat Iowa or Illinois and Northwestern is a toss up.  Zero adjustments on defense. Teams have no fear driving the lane as there is no shot blocking presence.  We lost this game through our poor defense.  

Our bench produced 3 points.  We have too many Summit League caliber players on the pines.  

Sam must not be nearly 100 per cent but who can you put in to be better? Her defense has slipped.

The future of this program is very troubled.  

As I've said before, I wonder if Coach William and her staff even teach defense.  Every game we see the same thing.  Opposing teams just drive down the lane and get easy layup after layup.  We leave shooters wide open.  We basically have the same team as last year and we are so much worse.  That shouldn't  happen.  Not using all your scholarships or getting some good transfers in was a killer for us.  I don't see with Williams that we will ever be higher than a middle of the pack team.  I told my wife before the game that we would probably lose this game\. I've pretty much lost hope in this team. I won't go to the Iowa game but will watch on tv.

I want to say that as valuable that Markowski and Haiby are to the team, I've never seen two players that miss as many bunnies or layups as they do.  I know they are trying hard but if they made half of these shots we'd have won a lot more games.  

Sigh. I think Amy Williams is now in over her head. Or, another way of saying it: she has hit her ceiling and has taken this program as far as she is capable of taking it, friends. 

If we somehow upset Iowa on Saturday (huge if), I feel confident that it won’t be because of anything that Amy does from a coaching standpoint. Can any of you honestly see Amy outcoaching Lisa Bluder? I can’t. 

What is hard to watch for me is both AM and MM work so hard to get good position on the blocks, and we do not attempt to get them the ball. When your bigs work hard like that you need to reward them and we just don’t seem willing to do that. Passing, defense. It’s like a broken record stuck in one spot. As close as I am, also not sure I want to watch the Iowa game in person. 

2 hours ago, longtimefan said:

As I've said before, I wonder if Coach William and her staff even teach defense.  Every game we see the same thing.  Opposing teams just drive down the lane and get easy layup after layup.  We leave shooters wide open.  We basically have the same team as last year and we are so much worse.  That shouldn't  happen.  Not using all your scholarships or getting some good transfers in was a killer for us.  I don't see with Williams that we will ever be higher than a middle of the pack team.  I told my wife before the game that we would probably lose this game\. I've pretty much lost hope in this team. I won't go to the Iowa game but will watch on tv.

I want to say that as valuable that Markowski and Haiby are to the team, I've never seen two players that miss as many bunnies or layups as they do.  I know they are trying hard but if they made half of these shots we'd have won a lot more games.  

They get one foul and get pulled. Execpt for certain players. Some get one foul and quit playing d all together.  Noted especially in todays game. Just pretend to put your hands up so you don’t get pulled. 

9 hours ago, longtimefan said:

We basically have the same team as last year and we are so much worse. 

While it is basically the same team as last year, there are some notable exceptions. We miss Bella more than I thought we would. We miss her rebounding, and she had some "fight" that seemed to have rubbed off on her teammates.  We miss Brown's enthusiasm on the bench - she seemed to be the leader of the entertaining 3 point conversion antics.  Mostly, though, we miss AW - this is anybody's guess, but I think three or four of this year's losses would have gone the other way had AW been on the court.  But while that is true, it has to be considered in the context of other teams also having had injuries to key players.  

I am coming to agree with those who say that this staff has reached its plateau and that middle of the Big 10 pack is the best we can reasonably expect unless changes are made. 

Its hard to say anything bad about MM or Markowski or Weidner. I think they got what it takes to make a big impact. I think we just need coaches that can teach in the BIG 10 league. I dont want to see any of them transferring as I think they got it.

Maybe Amy will get the same thing as Hoiberg. Switch up your assistants or your gone with them. I really do love Amy but something has got to change. We cant just be a middle of a pack team with the amenities we have to recruit good players. Husker Volleyball pulls a huge crowd and I know the Womens basketball could pull a huge crowd as well.