uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 27: at Rutgers

uneblinstu

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

How many road wins against ranked opponents in program history?

How many road wins against ranked opponents this season?

I'm not guaranteeing that this is the complete list.

Date Opponent Conf Tm Opp OT Arena Coach
Sun, Dec 4, 2022 Creighton (7) Big East 63 53   CHI Health Center Omaha Fred Hoiberg
Tue, Mar 1, 2022 Ohio State (23) Big Ten 78 70   Value City Arena Fred Hoiberg
Sun, Mar 6, 2022 Wisconsin (10) Big Ten 74 73   Kohl Center Fred Hoiberg
Mon, Jan 14, 2019 Indiana (25) Big Ten 66 51   Assembly Hall Tim Miles
Wed, Dec 28, 2016 Indiana (16) Big Ten 87 83   Assembly Hall Tim Miles
Wed, Jan 20, 2016 Michigan State (11) Big Ten 72 71   Breslin  Center Tim Miles
Sun, Feb 16, 2014 Michigan State (9) Big Ten 60 51   Breslin Center Tim Miles
Sat, Feb 23, 2008 Texas A&M (22) Big 12 65 59   Reed Arena Doc Sadler
Wed, Feb 10, 1999 Kansas (24) Big 12 64 59   Allen Fieldhouse Danny Nee
Sat, Feb 22, 1997 Iowa State (7) Big 12 74 69 OT Hilton Coliseum Danny Nee
Wed, Feb 22, 1995 Missouri (14) Big 8 78 75   Hearnes Center Danny Nee
Sat, Feb 13, 1993 Kansas State (23) Big 8 80 59   Bramlage Coliseum Danny Nee
Sat, Feb 22, 1992 Iowa State (23) Big 8 80 70   Hilton Coliseum Danny Nee
Sat, Jan 26, 1991 Oklahoma (13) Big 8 111 99   Lloyd Noble Center Danny Nee
Sat, Feb 6, 1982 Missouri (1) Big 8 67 51   Hearnes Center Moe Iba

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Japanese grad student from Columbia who went to the game just to watch Keisei. Also lol at the fan at the end of the clip

This is how Google Translate puts those Asian words into English:

"Tominaga is coming to Rutgers University to watch the game! He scored 22 goals, but even more than that, I felt encouraged by the sight of a young Japanese man competing at this level in America. I don't know much about basketball, but his 3P has a dream."

I think the B1G did us an unintentional favor with their scheduling.  After last night's win, I'm thinking damn, let's play Saturday. But, in retrospect, a two day "respite" over the normal Wednesday/Saturday schedule is perfect for these Huskers this stage in their season.  Catch your breath, recover, and make the stretch run a thing of beauty!  GBR!

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Actually you/they are right. Northwestern was picked to be 13th and Collins has them at 2nd

When Northwestern’s two best returning players portalled (is that a word?) out, I figured they would be Minnesota level.  In my opinion Collins should be COY in the BIG.  Floored by the job he has done with their team.

17 hours ago, busticket said:

When Northwestern’s two best returning players portalled (is that a word?) out, I figured they would be Minnesota level.  In my opinion Collins should be COY in the BIG.  Floored by the job he has done with their team.

The one thing that shouldn't be overlooked in this age of portal/NIL: NW has a group of guards who have played together for multiple years. They played a bunch of freshmen four years ago and took their lumps. I thought they would have busted out last year, but they lost a lot of close games and finished 15-16. Losing Nance and Young in the offseason hurt obviously, but their guard play is high level and they're over the hump on winning close games.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The one thing that shouldn't be overlooked in this age of portal/NIL: NW has a group of guards who have played together for multiple years. They played a bunch of freshmen four years ago and took their lumps. I thought they would have busted out last year, but they lost a lot of close games and finished 15-16. Losing Nance and Young in the offseason hurt obviously, but their guard play is high level and they're over the hump on winning close games.

The Amish Sasquatch they have for a center this year turned out to be a better fit with their guard dominated offense than Young was.

Matthew Nicholson Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

20 hours ago, busticket said:

I would argue NW lost their two most talented players, but probably not their best players for what they want to do. Your best players are the ones that buy in and execute the game plan.  I would liken it to Bryce and Verge last year, definitely or most talented guys but their game/mindset didn't fit what Fred wanted to do.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:07 PM, Swan88 said:

This is how Google Translate puts those Asian words into English:

"Tominaga is coming to Rutgers University to watch the game! He scored 22 goals, but even more than that, I felt encouraged by the sight of a young Japanese man competing at this level in America. I don't know much about basketball, but his 3P has a dream."

This settles it for me, let’s go ahead and let AI take over.

On 2/16/2023 at 12:37 PM, busticket said:

Guard play of Buie and Audige is a big reason.  I agree, Collins has done a fine job.