uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 27: at Rutgers

uneblinstu

8 minutes ago, roscoe said:

3. Does this husker team remind anyone else of a city league/town team type team.

Walker and Greisel play like the 38 year old guys that just know the game and frustrate the 22 year old former all stater with their smarts, positioning and humility.

Keisei is the guy that is super hyper and won't quit running. However those guys usually can't shoot in the rec league.

Lawrence is the guy you can't figure out because he doesn't appear to be doing that much but is just a "steady eddie" type.

Wilcher is the guy you guard at start but if he misses his 1st couple you let him shoot til he makes couple in a row.

Hoiberg is the guy who doesn't look like he will beat you. But a basket here, a rebound there then a steal and maybe an assist and you're calling him names.

Breidenbach is the guy that shows up late and has 2 different socks and elastic is shot in one of them so it's around his ankles. You also hope you get to guard him but then    he  "careers" you and your friends bring it up even at the mention of his name.

You nailed it 😂

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

I thought he hadn't been playing well, generally speaking, during the conference season. Tonight I was glad he didn't jack up a bunch of threes after his make. I tend to get on him about that part of his game as he isn't very proficient from the land of plenty, perhaps I've been too critical of Wilhelm lately... I hope he does well going forward, same for Keita whenever he plays.

I was worried after CJ did his heat check 3 and Breidenbach missed a 3 that it was going to lead to Husker demise.

Pikiell:  I'll bet an Andre Hyatt.

Hoiberg:  I'll see your Andre Hyatt and raise you a C.J. Wilcher.

Don't think many had those 2 going off for season best performances.  Thank the basketball gods that Wilcher chose tonight to come out of his funk.  Hopefully it gives him confidence going forward.

Now to work on his passing - oof.

20 minutes ago, roscoe said:

Going to comment on couple things I saw in game thread. 

1. Why the hell is the Rutgers AD patting CJ on the back to start 2nd half? Anyone not associated within the team should never touch a player unless player approaches them. And even if player does approach a fan he's facing a technical because of celebration of or retaliation of some sort.

2. Sam Hoiberg is fun to watch. When he was getting minutes during mop up duty I wasnt impressed with him. But man now that he is getting important minutes he's showing he belongs. And guessing early on he knew he was only playing in blow outs so he didn't prepare as hard but now that he's playing meaningful minutes he's into the game mentally and has a typical "coaches kid" mentality.

3. Does this husker team remind anyone else of a city league/town team type team.

Walker and Greisel play like the 38 year old guys that just know the game and frustrate the 22 year old former all stater with their smarts, positioning and humility.

Keisei is the guy that is super hyper and won't quit running. However those guys usually can't shoot in the rec league.

Lawrence is the guy you can't figure out because he doesn't appear to be doing that much but is just a "steady eddie" type.

Wilcher is the guy you guard at start but if he misses his 1st couple you let him shoot til he makes couple in a row.

Hoiberg is the guy who doesn't look like he will beat you. But a basket here, a rebound there then a steal and maybe an assist and you're calling him names.

Breidenbach is the guy that shows up late and has 2 different socks and elastic is shot in one of them so it's around his ankles. You also hope you get to guard him but then    he  "careers" you and your friends bring it up even at the mention of his name.

I think Sam H. has always prepared to play and play well. Those blowout situations he's entered into games with a bunch of dudes who never run their own offense. They're scout teamers who run the opponent's offense, so they often look terrible & often they're pressing to perform for Mom or whoever watching 'em at home. 

Sam H. reminds me of a shorter version of his father. Very heady player, never too high or too low. He's a baller out there, love to see it.

Edited by AuroranHusker

3 minutes ago, NUtball said:

Pikiell:  I'll bet an Andre Hyatt.

Hoiberg:  I'll see your Andre Hyatt and raise you a C.J. Wilcher.

Don't think many had those 2 going off for season best performances.  Thank the basketball gods that Wilcher chose tonight to come out of his funk.  Hopefully it gives him confidence going forward.

Now to work on his passing - oof.

I was worried C.J.'s boneheaded plays would affect him in other ways. Wilcher to his credit also had 4 assists tonight. He passed up shots to get Keisei open looks, which he connected on. Props to C.J. for getting out of his proverbial funk.

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Just so fun to watch right now.  What would be going on now if we haven’t have our two guys go down?

I love this version of Nebrasketball.  Just a fun, fun group of kids to watch.

I’ve thought about the what if with injuries .  We miss their defense and rebounding for sure.  But the reason we are seeing Keisei going off and Sam Hoiberg emerging as a valuable player is because of those injuries.  You could probably add Lawrence in there too.

My hope is that when Gary returns next year he will blend in with the guys and we keep this thing going.  

Also, had to love Keisei's 3 after picking up the loose ball at the free-throw line extended on the defensive end!  As the Rutgers guy moved away toward the other side of the court and the camera panned toward the other end, you knew he was going to shoot a bomb as soon as he made the first dribble - they left the whole side of the court open.

Another thing, did Brian Butch correctly identify either team the entire night?  Good lord, he was struggling.

Edited by NUtball

Is it just me or is Fred or perhaps one or more of the assistants, doing a much better job with player management (correct player with correct minutes).  Maybe it is just a mirage given our injuries.  But it just seems that the right buttons are now being pushed.

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

Is it just me or is Fred or perhaps one or more of the assistants, doing a much better job with player management (correct player with correct minutes).  Maybe it is just a mirage given our injuries.  But it just seems that the right buttons are now being pushed.

I think Fred's assistants have helped NU dramatically this season. They all seem to be very well connected with this squad. It's a beautiful thing.

26 minutes ago, HB said:

And in our giddiness, I don’t think anyone has mentioned the nice win by the Friars over the team 60 miles down the road.  Epic night!

Odda are low that it happens… but wouldn’t this be sweet…

We finish 17-14, win 2 in conference to get on the bubble at 19-15 and then finish as one of the last 4 in while Creighton finds themselves in the first 4 out.