Portal Watch

Tom Jones

5 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Hayley Van Lith from Louisville is in the transfer portal.  She has a deal with Adidas.  We should at least try to get her. 

Does Van Lith have an individual NIL deal with Adidas or are you referring to Louisville being an Adidas school? 

If she were to limit her transfer destinations to Adidas schools, I’m sorry, but I’d see her going to Indiana way before she would come to Nebraska. I think playing for Teri Moren would be a stronger draw. 

4 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Wishful thinking.....   Maggie Mendelson decides to play basketball full time .......  That would elevate the scenery considerably.  

Preach! 🙌🏻

As I said on another discussion thread, as long as Maggie tries to play both VB and BB, she’ll never reach her full potential in either sport. 😕
Now, she’s a good enough athlete that she can be a contributor for both teams. But realize her full potential in either sport? I just don’t see how. 

Edited by Neb Nets

Newcomers:

Because of the loss of Sam and Issie.....

If the three incoming freshman can be as effective as Markowski and Weidner were, when they came as true rookies.....

wouldn't that be huge.  Even with the portal.

(but hope the staff isn't banking on it to be our saviors.)

Edited by redsteve

Anyone else holding their breath waiting to see if any NU players throw their name into the portal?  There’s a player I’ve been wondering/worried about.  I hope that she decides to stay at Nebraska, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she transferred instead.  Nor would I hold it against her.  But then again, if she was going to make a move, I would think she’d have declared by now.  Just have to wait and see. 

On 4/8/2023 at 9:34 AM, Cazzie22 said:

Hayley Van Lith from Louisville is in the transfer portal.  She has a deal with Adidas.  We should at least try to get her. 

btw, Van Lith had a "do not contact" advisory. so, evidently she knew exactly where she was going. 

Reese from LSU tweeted "get the rings ready" and one of the pics included was of Van Lith. when Mulkey was at Baylor it was between Baylor and Louisville...we all know she chose Louisville. 

Iowa small forward Shateah Wetering has entered the transfer portal. Listed at 6 feet tall. From Montezuma, Iowa. 

Think the NU staff oughta pursue her, friends? We need help at the 4 and 5 positions but she may be a bit undersized to do what we need. She is described as a versatile, athletic player, though. 

Several posters in the past have noted that we need a portal 4/5 player.  I don't necessarily agree.  We have six players there including Coley and the 2 freshmen.  Unless one of the five after Markowski can't develop into a starting replacement for Issie we should be OK.  But we could use a high caliber taller  player at guard.  

https://fremonttribune.com/sports/college/nebraska-women-add-montana-state-transfer-darian-white/article_fa3bb6c8-83b0-53d5-bc2d-e3fd2295c58f.html

in a win against South Dakota State (who beat #8 USC in NCAA first round), White scored 16 pts with 7 assists and 8 rebounds.  

Edited by Tom Jones
left something out

Nebraska women’s basketball team has added its first known transfer of the offseason in former Montana State player Darian White.

Per Brent Wagner, 4/18, Lincoln Journal Star

The Nebraska women’s basketball team has added its first known transfer of the offseason in former Montana State player Darian White.

The 5-foot-6 guard announced her move on social media on Tuesday. This past season, she led Montana State in scoring (14.3 per game), rebounds (5.6) and assists (3.5) while starting all 31 games. The Bobcats had a 20-11 record but did not make a postseason tournament.

White earned first-team all-conference honors each of the past three seasons. She played four seasons at Montana State, and announced last month she would enter the transfer portal and play her final season elsewhere.

During her first season at Montana State, she was coached by new Nebraska assistant coach Julian Assibey.

From Boise, Idaho, White was the Idaho high school player of the year in 2019.

Stanford's transfer Lauren Betts to UCLA.

Maty Wilke from Wisconsin transfers to Utah.

wow.....rumors are swirling Duke's Celeste Taylor committed to Ohio State. if true, that is a huge addition for Ohio State. Sheldon and Taylor could create a big number  in the steal column next season.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

16 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Stanford's transfer Lauren Betts to UCLA.

Maty Wilke from Wisconsin transfers to Utah.

wow.....rumors are swirling Duke's Celeste Taylor committed to Ohio State. if true, that is a huge addition for Ohio State. Sheldon and Taylor could create a big number  in the steal column next season.

Was worried that Betts would transfer to Iowa to play with Clark. Which would have made Iowa even more imposing. 
Still no indication from Van Lith where she’s going? 

Wishful thinking we could be in the running for some of the top portal players. Williams and NE need to be in the top 4 of the B1G on a regular basis before we may get some of them to take a visit to Lincoln. Amy and staff need to do the ground work to find those players who may help that may go under the radar from other schools. 

1 hour ago, All About the Corn said:

Wishful thinking we could be in the running for some of the top portal players. Williams and NE need to be in the top 4 of the B1G on a regular basis before we may get some of them to take a visit to Lincoln. Amy and staff need to do the ground work to find those players who may help that may go under the radar from other schools. 

She has been doing that for years.  That is how she found Leigha Brown when she was lightly recruited and then after she had a successful 2 years many teams wanted her.