Portal Watch

Tom Jones

may be some insight to why players are leaving ISU...

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2023/03/29/denae-fritz-reveals-why-shes-transferring-from-iowa-state/

“A faster-paced offense,” she told the Register. “That’s all I’m going to say.”

Iowa State’s offense is known for scoring points. The Cyclones scored 75.4 points per game. That was second only to Oklahoma in the Big 12 and among the Top 30 programs in the country.

But the Cyclones’ offense is built around halfcourt sets and the 3-point shot. Iowa State attempted 27 3-pointers per game this season, which was No. 11 in the country. From that distance the team shot 32.8 percent overall.

Fritz shot nearly 34 percent from the arc. Guard Emily Ryan led the team shooting 36.4 percent from that distance.

Fritz told the Register that it’s likely she’s not the only on that feels the way she does.

“I don’t think anyone’s leaving for any other reason,” Fritz said. “The people are great here. We love the fans. I can’t complain about that. But … I just don’t think that style of play fits how I want to play my career out.”

Fritz isn’t the only starter out the door. Lexi Donarski, a three-year starter, announced her intention to transfer last week. She followed forward Morgan Kane, guard Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw and forward Maggie Vick.

3 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Morrow from Depaul is in the portal. She would be a good get but I see her going to LSU or South Carolina to help them win their next championship!!

if i remember correctly, her dad wanted her to go to Nebraska, but, mom wanted her at DePaul. 

oh man, would be a great get!!!

probably right, KarlHessEatMy...., may be headed to a contender.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

49 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Should go on Twitter and look at all the replies on Morrows post... Iowa fans to glore asking for her to come play with Clark. Brink Morrow Clark on a team 😳😳😳

She has started to follow jazz Shelly.  See a couple pages have us as a possibility. 

that's a scary thought. Brink? read a bit on Stanford lately...i don't think she is going anywhere. Morrow? i could see her ending up at Iowa for the obvious reasons. one of them being development.

work on her Jaz!!!🙂

On 4/5/2023 at 7:51 AM, whoopdeedoo said:

Minnesota's Mara Braun with Badger transfer Maty Wilke attended a North Tartan practice very recently. 

*update*.....Wilke has gopher visit planned friday. Duffy from Marquette is interested also.

besides Gophers and Marquette......add Utah. wonder if Williams reached out to her?

Regarding portal activity, below is the type information shared by our Husker MBB program for the month of April.  This type info shows up in the OWH and LJS frequently. It also appears at Husker websites.  Why do we seldom see similar information from the WBB program?  Thoughts;  Program isn't being covered by media?  Information isn't being shared by WBB staff, different approach to recruiting?   There is no information to share?  Something else?   Your thoughts?       

Charlotte guard Brice Williams official visit April 7th

2023 Los Angeles (California) Harvard Westlake wing Brady Dunlap official visit April 14th

Siena point guard Javian McCollum official visit April 15th

Pittsburgh center John Hugley official visit April 17th    

12dozen, I think Amy Williams generally doesn’t prioritize transparency with the media or the WBB fan base. Especially not in the offseason. She seems to much more prefer to keep her cards close to her vest. Maybe that’s a bit of arrogance there on her part, I don’t know. I do wish there was a more regular flow of information year round from the WBB program to the loyal fan base just like there is with the NU Volleyball program and their fan base. 

(I know, I know, Neb Nets is bagging on Coach Williams again. What else is new?) 😏

32 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

12dozen, I think Amy Williams generally doesn’t prioritize transparency with the media or the WBB fan base. Especially not in the offseason. She seems to much more prefer to keep her cards close to her vest. Maybe that’s a bit of arrogance there on her part, I don’t know. I do wish there was a more regular flow of information year round from the WBB program to the loyal fan base just like there is with the NU Volleyball program and their fan base. 

(I know, I know, Neb Nets is bagging on Coach Williams again. What else is new?) 😏

I agree with your take.  She doesn't seem to go out of her way, to nurture a relationship with the average fan.  And yet, we usually have a top 20 attendance average.  We love our Huskers.  

3 hours ago, 12dozen said:

I agree with your take.  She doesn't seem to go out of her way, to nurture a relationship with the average fan.  And yet, we usually have a top 20 attendance average.  We love our Huskers.  

Question, Did Yori? and does Fred on the mens side prioritize transparency?

I join everyone hoping and wishing for information.   But that information really can't flow from the staff.  Staff members cannot comment on a player until she is signed.  Hey, maybe things/rules have changed, and I'm completely wrong; but I don't believe the information bottleneck is on Amy or the staff.  Information on football or men's basketball typically comes from recruiting sites, twitter or media members that follow recruits.  That information is then relayed to the public.  Yeah, I'm sure there are well placed leaks. 

So my question is what recruiting sites report on our women's teams?  Those sites should be filling us with information we seek.

Yes some topics are off limits til a player has signed. Where she can improve is with the players already here. How hard would it be for her to have said Brady is under concussion protocol and sometimes these things can take months to resolve, or Dillard still has not been medically cleared? Or with the games where we committed 20+ turnovers, her statement was she did not have an answer. How about the ball handlers are pressing, trying to do too much, or not letting the game come to them? There are places where she can open up more. Might help to be looked at in a better light among the fans who attend the games or support the program.

Edited by All About the Corn

27 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I join everyone hoping and wishing for information.   But that information really can't flow from the staff.  Staff members cannot comment on a player until she is signed.  Hey, maybe things/rules have changed, and I'm completely wrong; but I don't believe the information bottleneck is on Amy or the staff.  Information on football or men's basketball typically comes from recruiting sites, twitter or media members that follow recruits.  That information is then relayed to the public.  Yeah, I'm sure there are well placed leaks. 

So my question is what recruiting sites report on our women's teams?  Those sites should be filling us with information we seek.

That makes a lot of sense.  On3 covers the WBB games, but very little (if any) recruiting.  Not sure what other subscription forums cover.

48 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Question, Did Yori? and does Fred on the mens side prioritize transparency?

Not sure about Fred and Connie.  In my original post, I asked for opinions on why we don't see more WBB info.  Do you have an opinion to share?

My first suggestion was regarding media.  Huskerpapa gave an excellent response.  

Holding my breath that we'll get someone, Need a power forward, etc. etc  There are a lot of good players available. 

But still don't get any vibes we're trying to get a portal recruit(s).  Would love to be proven wrong. 

Being a mid pack team, even in the B1G, doesn't help entice a proven talent. But, hopefully we can make a positive change through the portal.

...and with some good new freshmen, that look good on paper anyway, we could be at least as capable as we are currently. ....If that makes you happy.  Getting Weidner back might/will be huge, looking at the big picture.

Hoiberg, with all the related news every day, is obviously going full guns in the portal.  Like we've said a million times...the women's BBall silence, is deafening.

Edited by redsteve