Portal Watch

Tom Jones

I don't think that is kosher.  I think the way that the way it works is that the player starts the process by informing his/her university that he/she is entering the portal. It's considered very bad form for one program to recruit/tempt/inquire of players from existing rosters of other programs.  There were rumors about UM hinting that they had a locker available for LB, but so far as I know nothing was substantiated. 

1 hour ago, Tom Jones said:

I don't think that is kosher.  I think the way that the way it works is that the player starts the process by informing his/her university that he/she is entering the portal. It's considered very bad form for one program to recruit/tempt/inquire of players from existing rosters of other programs.  There were rumors about UM hinting that they had a locker available for LB, but so far as I know nothing was substantiated. 

Not what I was thinking. I'm referring to those that enter the portal.  Is there any reason we couldn't make an offer as soon as they enter?  Others might need to wait until room is made on their rosters.

Edited by 12dozen

Word has it that Michigan football did the same thing with a linebacker of ours.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

PORTAL STUFF

I  tend to not get too wound up about the portal, when it comes to women's basketball. There's a million different factors that can make or break your chances at getting a better player than you currently have.

In general rough numbers, only about 25-30% are moved to a better situation than they left. About the same percentage just the opposite, and many don't get picked up at all so go to Jr College, or Div 2 or 3

2021-2022 Stats    Total transfer out 1,331  ALL CLASSIFICATIONS

Grad transfers                386

341 D-1 schools had at least one transfer

Power 5 ONLY  65 schools

transfer out 269

transfer in    182 so about 1/3 didn't get to a better situation into another Power 5 school, and end up at lower Div 1, 2 or 3 school

Non P5 

out 1062

in    643

Lastly....A small percentage return back to same school.

These stats can be off a little....just quick research.

What's all mean...?   

There were only 182 Power5 transfers in. So those that transfer either requested to contact a school, or were recruited to transfer from the portal. Mostly the top Power 5 schools can get highly rated transfers. They have superior recruiting ability, are top 25 rated schools. Example: Ohio State is on that list, does it a lot. The very best power 5 schools can get the pick of the litter so to speak. (and does so every year.)

So are we a top 25 rated school, are we a top recruiting school? Are we a desired destination program now? etc etc 

Trying to be realistic. The pickings are pretty thin.

We obviously have not been recruiting transfers.  It seems we just haven't tried particularly. Will their be a change of heart ?

There's lots more involved....this is a quick look.

AND to add some perspective......there were about 412,000 high school girls basketball players last year

Edited by redsteve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

They are leaving a great new Coach behind unless they were shown the door. 

There must be something that makes three players want to leave. and like Cazz says...maybe cleaning house is the answer but for a young proven quality player (RS freshman) like Wilke to leave?   Sometimes a new coach and an existing player just aren't on the same wave link... so to speak.

Be nice to be a fly on the wall...as has been said a million times.

Iowa State is up to 5 players entering the portal.  I grabbed the following info from the Des Moines Register.

Iowa State women's basketball players, including Lexi Donarski, have entered the transfer portal

Fritz became the fifth known player to enter the transfer portal since Iowa State’s sudden loss to Toledo in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. She joined guards Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw and Lexi Donarski along with post players Morgan Kane and Maggie Vick.

6 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Iowa State is up to 5 players entering the portal.  I grabbed the following info from the Des Moines Register.

Iowa State women's basketball players, including Lexi Donarski, have entered the transfer portal

Fritz became the fifth known player to enter the transfer portal since Iowa State’s sudden loss to Toledo in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. She joined guards Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw and Lexi Donarski along with post players Morgan Kane and Maggie Vick.

Iowa St had high hopes this season and the loss of their 6’6” transfer center certainly was a crusher.  They may have spent all their energy beating Texas in the conference finals.  Bill Fennely’s program isn’t going to drop in quality. 

10 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Iowa St had high hopes this season and the loss of their 6’6” transfer center certainly was a crusher.  They may have spent all their energy beating Texas in the conference finals.  Bill Fennely’s program isn’t going to drop in quality. 

They have an excellent class coming in.  I copied a segment from an article (below).  Not sure if this had anything to do with some of the transfers?

The new additions are forward Jalynn Bristow from Wichita Falls, Texas, forward Addy Brown from Derby, Kansas, center Audi Crooks from Algona, guard Arianna Jackson from Des Moines and guard Kelsey Joens from Iowa City. This quintet ranks at No. 10 in the 2023 ESPNw/HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings at the time of publication.

as of april 2nd....bigs in the portal:

i would take a look at Stoddard fr from Purdue and Williams from Vanderbilt

Arizona - Lauren Ware 6-5 Jr center
Boston College - Ally Carman 6-5 Fr center
Furman – Karie Whitaker 6-5 So center
Mercer – Detavia Salter 6-3 Fr forward/center
Michigan State – Brooklyn Rewers 6-4 So center
Miss State – Charlotte Kohl 6-5 Fr center
Oral Roberts – Elena Lijo 6-5 Fr Center
Princeton – Kira Emsbo 6-5 Sr center
Purdue – Lilly Stoddard 6-5 Fr forward/center
Sacramento State – Isnelle Natabou 6-5 Jr center, 6-4 Tautinei Puaina Jr forward
Samford – Sussy Ngulefac 6-3 So center
Vanderbilt – Amauri Williams 6-4 Fr center"

On 4/3/2023 at 5:57 AM, Cazzie22 said:

Lexi Donarski is high on my wish list. 

i see she may be visiting Minnesota...........Notre Dame and UCLA have been named as possible favorites.

If she would choose UCLA, possible opponent her senior year?

*update*...came across a rather "in depth" ND recruiting report that was updated as of April 3rd. no mention of Donarski. now, may mean something, may not. according to report, ND is set at the guard position.

Edited by whoopdeedoo