2024 C John Bol -> Ole Miss

Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

You ever wonder where the phrase "don't go blowing smoke up my ass" comes from?

Hmm...just a quick search later...

When someone is "blowing smoke up your arse" today, it is a figure of speech that means that one person is complimenting another, insincerely most of the time, in order to inflate the ego of the individual being flattered.

Back in the late 1700s, however, doctors literally blew smoke up people's rectums. Believe it or not, it was a general mainstream medical procedure used to, among many other things, resuscitate people who were otherwise presumed dead. In fact, it was such a commonly used resuscitation method for drowning victims particularly, that the equipment used in this procedure was hung alongside certain major waterways, such as along the River Thames (equipment courtesy of the Royal Humane Society

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hmm...just a quick search later...

When someone is "blowing smoke up your arse" today, it is a figure of speech that means that one person is complimenting another, insincerely most of the time, in order to inflate the ego of the individual being flattered.

Back in the late 1700s, however, doctors literally blew smoke up people's rectums. Believe it or not, it was a general mainstream medical procedure used to, among many other things, resuscitate people who were otherwise presumed dead. In fact, it was such a commonly used resuscitation method for drowning victims particularly, that the equipment used in this procedure was hung alongside certain major waterways, such as along the River Thames (equipment courtesy of the Royal Humane Society

It was known as a tobacco smoke enema. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_smoke_enema

Was thinking Bol was on his visit when Dylan Raiola was also at PBA. Pissed me off that Raiola got most of attention and Bol was a complete afterthought. Probably made no difference but football and basketball went 0-fer that night.

Edited by roscoe

21 hours ago, roscoe said:

Was thinking Bol was on his visit when Dylan Raiola was also at PBA. Pissed me off that Raiola got most of attention and Bol was a complete afterthought. Probably made no difference but football and basketball went 0-fer that night.

It felt awkward to me as well:

• the strongest focus on Raiola came during a time-out toward the end of the game, and even basketball players in the huddle were looking around for what the disruption was all about; and
  • with a basketball recruit of Bol's stature in the house, who received no attention at all, it felt like a little shade in Bol's direction--after all, this is a basketball game and he's a basketball recruit.

Now that it didn't work out with the football player either, perhaps there should have been a stronger focus on basketball recruiting that night?

I'd say if there is an overarching change that people think should be made when we have a basketball recruit in house, that's one thing.  That conversation has merit.

Otherwise the argument that someone more famous shouldn't be as recognized as someone less famous really doesn't make much sense when you say it out loud.

Yeah, I am with the fans that were there at the time.  Also, it was sort of a "unique" situation.  A situation that could have gotten the football program in a little hot water.

Prior to the late game chants and fanfare, Raiola was sitting in a suite.  That suite is oftentimes occupied by ummm, football ahhh, dignitaries.  Cameras caught him, which drew cheers from some of the crowd.  BUT, here is the kicker, he was supposedly here on a social visit, and other than his uncle, he could not be contacted by staff.  Hmmm, what to do.  Sooo, they left the suite and had to be paraded through the crowd; past the students, behind our bench and in front of our basketball recruit.  Talk about an embarrassingly bad plan.  

Oh well, both are gonzo now.  Twice jilted by Raiola.  Hope his uncle turns our offensive line into something special, a unit his nephew will envy down the road.

But what were the fans supposed to do?  Ignore him?  

I guess the basketball staff could have had our dude walk up and down the sideline and throw the bones.  That likely would have elicited cheers as well.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I'd say if there is an overarching change that people think should be made when we have a basketball recruit in house, that's one thing.  That conversation has merit.

Otherwise the argument that someone more famous shouldn't be as recognized as someone less famous really doesn't make much sense when you say it out loud.

It  depends on who your audience is. Unless you're a fan of college recruiting then you don't know either of them. I'm sure there has to be lots of people that know Bol and would have no idea who the football guy is. Obviously, a football recruit is going to be more well known than a basketball recruit in the state of Nebraska. 

14 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

It  depends on who your audience is. Unless you're a fan of college recruiting then you don't know either of them. I'm sure there has to be lots of people that know Bol and would have no idea who the football guy is. Obviously, a football recruit is going to be more well known than a basketball recruit in the state of Nebraska. 

Valid point and one of my frustrations living in Nebraska is that Football is king and every other sport is an after-thought.  There is an old school mentality that UNL doesn't want any other men's sport to complete at the level of football and challenge it's place at the top.  I get so tired of social media comments like "does NU even have a basketball team?".  No doubt football bring in the most revenue but GREAT universities have overall good athletic programs across the board with winning football and basketball programs.  Even Trev has made comments like "we all know that Nebraska is a football school".  And sadly, we aren't even a football school anymore so there is nothing to fall back on.  

The idea of a football versus a basketball school is generally arciac at this point.  There are outliers such as Creighton (Big East) or Gonzaga; otherwise programs now realize you need quality teams throughout.  Many of the so called "blue bloods" in both basketball and football, now have enhanced both programs.  Examples include Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Florida, Kansas, et al.   

I guess my point is that Nebraska seems to want a balanced athletic program.  They have put money and support into all sports.  Results are not the best; but who knows...maybe we will soon have a Nebraska Renaissance in the very near future.

16 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I would recognize Bol but couldn't pick Raiola out of a lineup.  Many reasons for this.  I care far more about Husker basketball than Husker football, individual recruits are more impactful in basketball since they are 1 out 13 schollies rather than only 1 out of 85, a basketball player's face is visible in his highlight tape while a football player is wearing a helmet, etc.

In football, there are 250 players ranked 4 stars or better (by the major recruiting services.) Raiola is a 5-star and was the overall #1 ranked recruit. Nebraskans had good reason to believe that, with his family connections to the school, we had a legitimate shot at landing him. We made his final 3.

In basketball, there are usually around 110-120 players ranked 4 stars or better and Bol is currently a 4-star ranked #34. He said himself that his *unofficial* visit here was "great," "enjoyed every moment," and couldn't have gone any better. He releases a top 8 and we're not in it.

Are we really having a discussion about Nebraska fans giving Dylan Raiola a little love during a basketball game?