NCAA vs. NIT

Tom Jones

Kansas just beat Missouri  75 - 47.  It was never really in doubt. KS looked much better than the team I saw go to triple OT here in the pre-season.  Also, it looked as tho that game, in Lawrence, was very well attended thus putting in question Lincoln being selected as the site for the NU-KU 3rd round game. 

Won’t be an easy game at all. Kansas likely hasn’t forgotten losing at PBA in December. 

Wasn't the KU gave the game where Allison Weidner got hurt?  No, I’m not saying her injury was the result of anything a KU player did. Allison was just making a great hustle play on defense, and fell out of bounds and collided knee first with a very unfortunately-placed cameraperson’s chair underneath the hoop. 

I only bring it up because the apparent severity of her knee injury put a damper on the satisfaction of NU winning that game. 

A repeat win is a very tall order indeed.  Compared to the 3 OT win in December, three things have changed.  1) the home court switch; 2) the revenge factor; 3) in December the Huskers had both Haiby and Wiedner - Thursday we will have neither.  This is a great opportunity for Callin and the two Kendalls to have career performances, carry that momentum into the rest of the tourney and come back as force factors in '23-'24.  

First order of business is finding a way to keep KU's post below 20 rebounds and holding the percentage of that total being offensive rebounds well below 50%.

Unfortunately, being on their court, the chances of Markowski getting 2 fouls in the 1st quarter rise significantly.

8 hours ago, NUtball said:

First order of business is finding a way to keep KU's post below 20 rebounds and holding the percentage of that total being offensive rebounds well below 50%.

Unfortunately, being on their court, the chances of Markowski getting 2 fouls in the 1st quarter rise significantly.

Yes, too bad we don't have another tough center that can play the position with the grit she has. She leads our team..... and the entire Big Ten in rebounding.   

And is second in big ten with double doubles, 15...one behind Catlin Clark.

Even with getting double teamed much of the time, she's near the top of the team in scoring. Also in blocks.

The center for Kansas is about 6-6 so will be a tall order for anyone to slow her down. 

Edited by redsteve

Totally agree with RedSteve about our need for a center to turn to when AM sits with foul trouble.  Something to watch for - both in this game and in the after season portal search - watch the comparative intensity of the KS center and the Husker's back up center (name withheld in interest of sensitivity).  Just before and when a shot ball approaches the hoop and the possibility of rebound becomes apparent, the KS center is not just "poised" to get it, she is focused, intense, enthused, and sometimes even ferocious in her drive to "get that ball!".  Ala Leah Brown and Bella Cravens. Will our prospective rebounder match that level of determination and effort? 

5 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

So just seen last night during the Bowling Green and Memphis WNIT game during the post game greet Memphis guard Jamirah Shutes punched Bowling Green's Elissa Brett in the face. Knocked her to the ground and had to be helped back to the locker room. BG won by the way.

Feel like in the past 2 seasons, we’ve seen way more egregious, flagrant fouls and/or fights and trash talking in the women’s college basketball game than ever before. 

16 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Well here I am.The handshake line is 1 of the dumbest things they do in basketball 90% of the kids don't even look at each other when they shake hands.

When I played, the line never existed.   I am sure it was established in the spirit of sportsmanship; but it still makes little sense to me.  Even little league munchkins do stupid things like spitting on their hand as they walk through.  

I just think it is an unnecessary procedure.   

Don't care when or where it happens. Before, during, or after a game.  This thug stuff (mens or womens) must be put to a stop. Have no use, or tolerance for it. It's gone to far.

Throw a few off the team, out of games. Out of leagues, or tourneys, and it will work its self out quickly. 

The Memphis Schutes may have been charged with assault ? If so...good.

Edited by redsteve