NCAA vs. NIT

Tom Jones

At this point, I prefer to see this team play in the NIT.  In the unlikely event that the Huskers are chosen to NCAA they would be one of (or near) the last teams chosen - meaning that in their first game they would be a 15 or 16 seed thus facing a 1 or 2 seed and likely would get blown out. 

In the NIT the Huskers would be with competition at their own level of ability and achievement.  For the older players in their last year, this would be an opportunity to go out winners and for the others a chance to gain experience.  

I get what you’re saying, Tom. Barring an unforeseen deep run in the B1G tourney, I don’t think NU goes to the NCAA. Maybe that’s a good thing - if NU somehow squeaked into the NCAA tournament, I feel that would give Coach Amy a false sense of security, a false sense of accomplishment and a false confidence that all is well with her program. Nope! Like many of you, I can see that all is NOT well with this program. This program is not trending upwards and as a head coach, Amy needs to do some deep soul searching this offseason, be accountable and be open to taking whatever steps to improve this program. 

Edited by Neb Nets

10 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

At this point, I prefer to see this team play in the NIT.  In the unlikely event that the Huskers are chosen to NCAA they would be one of (or near) the last teams chosen - meaning that in their first game they would be a 15 or 16 seed thus facing a 1 or 2 seed and likely would get blown out. 

In the NIT the Huskers would be with competition at their own level of ability and achievement.  For the older players in their last year, this would be an opportunity to go out winners and for the others a chance to gain experience.  

If we make the NCAA the lowest seed we would be is a 12 and have to play our way in. Power 5 programs are rarely lower than that as all the non power teams get 13 through 16 usually. And at this point I dont think the older players could care about going out as a winner. Last night it almost looked like Jaz and Sam are both out there just doing the emotions and taking in all the opportunities that come with playing D1 ball. I dont think they are on the train at all. 

If Jaz, Bourne, Sam, Dillard, Brady all leave and if a couple transfer. We bring in 3 new ppl next year. We are looking at like the possibility of about 6 to 8 people in the transfer portal that will need to be picked up. Thats a lot to come by in 1 year if you ask me. 

46 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

If we make the NCAA the lowest seed we would be is a 12 and have to play our way in. Power 5 programs are rarely lower than that as all the non power teams get 13 through 16 usually. And at this point I dont think the older players could care about going out as a winner. Last night it almost looked like Jaz and Sam are both out there just doing the emotions and taking in all the opportunities that come with playing D1 ball. I dont think they are on the train at all. 

If Jaz, Bourne, Sam, Dillard, Brady all leave and if a couple transfer. We bring in 3 new ppl next year. We are looking at like the possibility of about 6 to 8 people in the transfer portal that will need to be picked up. Thats a lot to come by in 1 year if you ask me. 

Who’s the third recruit we’re bringing in next year? I’m only aware of Nissley from ND and Potts from MO. 

Jessica Petrie, a 6-2 forward out of Australia, has announced her commitment to Nebraska WBB, class of 2023; she has been a member of multiple Australian national teams, including the one that competed at the FIBA U17 World Cup 2022

watched her video highlights.  she is good. 

4 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Illinois has made it work with numerous transfers.

some of you know i have been a cheerleader for Williams...........however, i am getting a feeling she may have plateaued. i hope i am wrong but seems like flags are being raised. have a feeling this season may have started the wheels turning in the AD's mind. we've watched how this season has unfolded and it is tough road down the stretch. just like Whalen from minny, next season may be a "make or break" for the coach. i wonder if Goehle and Mays might be in question here........however, Williams is loyal. i do not believe the AD would meddle at all in her assistant coach decision(s). 

unless you are/have a great recruiter, this season is not helping for the future. 

i pray i am wrong...........not getting any younger.

Green from Illinois would get my vote for "COY" but, probably will be Moren or Bluder depending how things go.

Yes, Whoop, I am with you - I too have been a Williams supporter having been harboring a feeling that the program has been on an upward trajectory. But that feeling is slipping away. The turning point, seems to me, was the loss of AW.  With her on the court, the team performed well enough to think we were on an upward path. But her loss has exposed vulnerabilities for which remedy is needed but will be difficult. And this is occurring in a competitive environment in which the other teams in the conference are improving while the Huskers are, at best, standing still. 

Unless the AD is content with the Huskers sinking to bottom four status in the conference,  I too foresee next year as "make or break" for the current staff.  The return of AW will help, but expecting an even trade by replacing Sam, Izzie, and maybe Jazz with three freshmen .... well that moves the needle away from "make" and towards "break". 

I don't like the portal. But it's the world we now live in.  And that's where the answer is for Huskers 2003-04. 

Saturday morning rant... 

When Trev was looking for a new head coach, replacing Scott Frost, he mentioned expectations.  Among them were the level of work ethic, ability to recruit, organization/communication skills,  etc.  Most Husker fans are optimistic, Rhule is the guy.  Are the expectations the same of other Husker head coaches?  

That brings me to our WBB program.  Why isn't it more transparent?  What kind of work ethic do they bring to the table? Do they spend the needed time on the road recruiting? Are they hosting official visits?  Are they building relationships with local coaches? Are they making official offers? Are they holding clinics, attending clinics?  Do they have open practices? What are they doing?  The lack of information, makes one wonder.  What kind of effort is being made to improve this program?  How are you going to increase interest, sell more tickets, if nothing is shared?  Is this a lack of effort by media, or lack of access by staff?  Hard to get on the Amy bandwagon, with so little information to go on.  

20 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Saturday morning rant... 

When Trev was looking for a new head coach, replacing Scott Frost, he mentioned expectations.  Among them were the level of work ethic, ability to recruit, organization/communication skills,  etc.  Most Husker fans are optimistic, Rhule is the guy.  Are the expectations the same of other Husker head coaches?  

That brings me to our WBB program.  Why isn't it more transparent?  What kind of work ethic do they bring to the table? Do they spend the needed time on the road recruiting? Are they hosting official visits?  Are they building relationships with local coaches? Are they making official offers? Are they holding clinics, attending clinics?  Do they have open practices? What are they doing?  The lack of information, makes one wonder.  What kind of effort is being made to improve this program?  How are you going to increase interest, sell more tickets, if nothing is shared?  Is this a lack of effort by media, or lack of access by staff?  Hard to get on the Amy bandwagon, with so little information to go on.  

Excellent points, 12dozen. Given what NU pays the WBB head coach (which I’m sure is very competitive with other programs in the B1G), given the b-ball facilities at Nebraska (PBA and the Hendricks Training Center), and given how willing the fans would be to come out and support a consistently winning program (13,000 Hoosier fans came out and supported the #2 ranked Indiana WBB team against #5 ranked Iowa on Thursday night. That kind of turnout could totally happen at PBA if NU WBB was ever ranked in the top 5 or top 10), anyway, given all those factors, is it unreasonable for us to expect a better product than where the WBB program currently is after almost 7 full seasons with Amy Williams at the helm? I don’t think it is unreasonable. 
Having said all that, we could get a new WBB HC, and they could turn out to be a spectacular flop and we’d be stuck looking back fondly on the days of the Amy Williams tenure where we were a .600 win percentage, middle of the pack team in the B1G. Just never any guarantees in sports. 

4 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

Yes, Whoop, I am with you - I too have been a Williams supporter having been harboring a feeling that the program has been on an upward trajectory. But that feeling is slipping away. The turning point, seems to me, was the loss of AW.  With her on the court, the team performed well enough to think we were on an upward path. But her loss has exposed vulnerabilities for which remedy is needed but will be difficult. And this is occurring in a competitive environment in which the other teams in the conference are improving while the Huskers are, at best, standing still. 

Unless the AD is content with the Huskers sinking to bottom four status in the conference,  I too foresee next year as "make or break" for the current staff.  The return of AW will help, but expecting an even trade by replacing Sam, Izzie, and maybe Jazz with three freshmen .... well that moves the needle away from "make" and towards "break". 

I don't like the portal. But it's the world we now live in.  And that's where the answer is for Huskers 2003-04. 

The only mention of Issie leaving I have seen was some poster on here. Not exactly for sure until I see more verification 

18 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

The only mention of Issie leaving I have seen was some poster on here. Not exactly for sure until I see more verification 

read a column where the writer was told Issie will not return. he didn't give his source......and, the media is always correct🤣

(just a little joke at the end, Sam and others)

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 2 weeks later...

If we make it somehow into the NCAA playoff great.  If not the WNIT can be a good launching platform for the future.  For example Michigan won it in 2017, Indiana in 2018 and Arizona in 2019.  All 3 of those teams subsequently made deep runs in the NCAA tourney with Arizona getting beat by Stanford by 2 the championship game in 2021.

• 3 weeks later...

Nebraska should be in.  I honestly can say I don't follow women's basketball.  However, all the metrics say we should be in.  They give Illinois and Purdue bids.  We beat Illinois by 33 on the road.  We beat Purdue on the road.  Took #1 seed Indiana to OT on the road.  Purdue had 8 Q1/Q2 wins.  A better non conf SOS.  A better NET.  7 Q1/Q2 wins.  I want to know their criteria.