ILLINOIS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

34 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

you might be right with Coley..........although, she seems to have accepted her role. don't remember, but, did she barely crack the top 50? i may be thinking of someone else. just to add, she isn't the one i am thinking of.

Coley came to us highly touted out of Minnesota. I believe she enrolled a semester early as a senior in high school and she joined the team in January. If I remember right, she was close friends with Kennedi Orr, the VB setter who was also from MN, and Kennedi was one of the main reasons Coley decided to play b-ball at NU. 

Regarding Coley’s development, I’m dumbfounded as to why she isn’t playing more. For whatever reason, I guess things just aren’t clicking for her in Amy’s system. But I watch her on the bench and she seems to be an amazing teammate. She’s very engaged and enthusiastic watching the games, she’s very excited for her teammates’ successes when they do something good on the court. She seems to have a great attitude. But still, I can’t imagine she’s satisfied with her lack of playing time. 

ESPN had her rated 49th.  I have been watching her closely when she gets in.  She seems somewhat mistake prone on both offense and defense.  Some what like a deer in the headlights at times.  Both her and Kennedi both make good plays followed by bad ones.  Seem to lack consistency.  Just my observation which doesn't mean much.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

I have no information, just a feeling that Coley along with Bourne and Shelly won't be back.  Sam of course runs out of eligibility.  That would leave us with 7 returning players plus the 3 incoming freshman.  That leaves 5 open scholarships.  Amy needs to take several steps up the transfer ladder next season for us to challenge the upper tier of the Big Ten.  

And Maggie doesn't report until volleyball season is completed. 

26 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

And Maggie doesn't report until volleyball season is completed. 

Once WBB is over she will have a good Idea what is involved in playing both VB & BB at the major college level.  She will miss the spring VB season including the beach games in California and Hawaii.  It's not just playing for each sport during the season but all the extras ahead of time.  One problem is that she is on a BB scholarship and according to my calculations we are full up in VB with no seniors on the roster for this fall.  I wish her the best in figuring it all out as she is very talented.

Is it fair to say that with Coley’s body and skill set, she’s really not a pure 3 nor a pure 4? And that she’s kinda stuck in this no-man’s-land in the middle of the two positions? Seems like Amy hasn’t been able to carve out a niche for Coley in her offensive system. (If “system” is the word you want to use for whatever it is that Amy is trying to do on offense) 

13 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I had high hopes for Coley. She did come in early. Looked promising to start with but think she doesn’t seem to grasp both offense and defense very well. Notice she sometimes gets direction from her teammates when on the court. 

Brings us back to the "Player Development" concerns, expressed by many in this forum.

21 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Brings us back to the "Player Development" concerns, expressed by many in this forum.

I would be interested in people's interpretation of player development and at what level we are struggling?

A player comes into a team setting (really at any level and age) with certain abilities, limitations and intangibles.   There are then certain people and tools available to elevate that players skill set.  At Nebraska, and likely most other universities you have facilities, nutritionists, strength and conditioning coaches, video, assistant coaches, peers, head coach, administration, and of course your own self motivation.  There then has to be accountability and responsibility to improve and leverage your mental and physical growth/improvement.

The last few years on the men's team, it was felt by many that the area lacking was not necessarily development of the player (although there may have been individual players where development may have been part of the problem); rather, it was with accountability and responsibility.   Players could make errors or play outside the team concepts, and they were not being visibly held accountable.   A certain player even stated this publicly. 

I guess my point is that I am not convinced development is as much an issue as player responsibility and accountability is.  If a player blows a defensive assignment is she pulled from the game?  Is making a bad pass punished?  There are so many game nuances that must be done in certain ways, and if they are not done correctly, the team fails.  Are we doing those little things?

My interpretation of development is probably too basic.  On the court, I'd like to see a players impact on a game, become greater from year to year.  There are extenuating factors for sure, but I'd like to see stats improve from one year to the next. If a player is the reason for regressing, she should be put on the right path, or encouraged to find another.  Everything comes to rest on the head coaching desk.  Improve the players skills to succeed.  And, those skills aren't all confined to the court.  Hard to quantify, for sure.  All we have to go on, is a W/L record and what we see watching them play.

For the Michigan State game Nebraska's field goal percentage was 0.327 and the 3 point level was 0.238.  Below are some field goal percentage information for this year versus last year:  The team Big Ten Shooting percentage YTD is lower than for last year.  Reflected also are our main players for all of last year and this year to date field goal percentages which are lower.   Is this coaching, the offense being run , the defenses, or whatever?

13 games in Big ten YTD   18 games in Big Ten Last Year
Field Goal % 0.397       0.429    
3 point FG % 0.316       0.331    
Ave points 69.2       74.8    
Opp ave   67.2       68.1    
  Av win pts 2       6.7    

Individual players  year to date vs last year        
22-23----24 games ytd     21-22---33 games    
    FG ave% 3 point Ave% FG ave% 3 point Ave%  
Sam 14 games  0.359 0.286   0.401 0.244    
Shelley   0.370 0.336   0.425 0.406    
Alexis   0.469 0.358   0.492 0.500    
Bourne   0.483 0.294   0.515 0.371  

• 2 weeks later...

DANG!    and, ummm, this team beat Iowa!  What I hope to see now is one or two wins in the BIG tourney and then march thru the NIT the way they played tonight.  Would be great fun for the seniors and something good to look back on when practice starts next summer.  Heck, if they had a ton a fun in a post season tourney maybe Izzy and/or Jay would think, "dang, that was fun - maybe I am not thru with this team"

12 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

DANG!    and, ummm, this team beat Iowa!  What I hope to see now is one or two wins in the BIG tourney and then march thru the NIT the way they played tonight.  Would be great fun for the seniors and something good to look back on when practice starts next summer.  Heck, if they had a ton a fun in a post season tourney maybe Izzy and/or Jay would think, "dang, that was fun - maybe I am not thru with this team"

Wrong Illinois game thread.

11 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

They’re gone after the season.