ILLINOIS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Wow! How can we give up a 20-0 run at home?  Why can’t we get a timeout, set up a play and stop the momentum?

I was worried about Illinois quickness advantage on the perimeter.  They did it without Genesis Bryant!  Their guards did whatever they wanted and we couldn’t stop them.

We went away from our post attack but that’s a credit to Illinois and defensive adjustments.  

Crushing loss and the road isn’t easy.  I hope some veteran leadership keeps this team moving forward. 

12 minutes ago, fred1212 said:

I prefer NIT. 

Why wish to play a powerhouse and get blown out the first game.  I prefer playing more competitive schools from around the country and giving the team more experiences and seeing more games.

wh

I would agree with ya but we are pretty heavy stacked with experience already that doesn't show

Simply got beat by a better coached team, and she made adjustments going into the 2nd half.  And with quickness from their guards we couldn't keep up...they were to quick..and didn't quit.

We looked like ran out of gas too...and poor perimeter defense in second half. Too bad, we certainly had a good chance tonight. 

46 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Simply got beat by a better coached team, and she made adjustments going into the 2nd half.  And with quickness from their guards we couldn't keep up...they were to quick..and didn't quit.

We looked like ran out of gas too...and poor perimeter defense in second half. Too bad, we certainly had a good chance tonight. 

No question the team's a little tired. Hard schedule, tough Big Ten, no Weidner, three really physical teams in a row...just where it is. 

This was a super embarrassing performance by the girls and the coaches.  I don't remember seeing a game like this where almost all of Illinois points (other than 5 three's and freethrows) were layups.  They just dribbled right down the lane and had layups or post up layups.  Do the coaches not teach defense?  Since Illinois wasn't hitting their 3's and were getting all layups, I would think the coach mlght think about going to some kind of zone??  The one thing I can't blame the coaches on is our inability to make point blank layups.  This season has been so disappointing and I don't see it improving.

In the first half of the last three games we've had 2 in for post players and in the second half have had 1 in and the other post player hanging around the 3 pt. line.  We have given up the paint in the second halves of games which after 3 times in a row we should be able to see this clearly doesn't work.  It looks like we quit playing in the second half and try to stall out the clock in the second half rather than attack the basket.  This stall type play offensively also tends to carry over to defense where we also sit back and don't attack.

The real thing that bothers me with this team is the inability to play with any physicality.  I don't think the " Ew Don't Touch Me" style really works in any P5 conference.  We need to learn to put a body on them and Beat em until we beat them

8 hours ago, longtimefan said:

This was a super embarrassing performance by the girls and the coaches.  I don't remember seeing a game like this where almost all of Illinois points (other than 5 three's and freethrows) were layups.  They just dribbled right down the lane and had layups or post up layups.  Do the coaches not teach defense?  Since Illinois wasn't hitting their 3's and were getting all layups, I would think the coach mlght think about going to some kind of zone??  The one thing I can't blame the coaches on is our inability to make point blank layups.  This season has been so disappointing and I don't see it improving.

Our defensive footwork is terrible.  Watch the film, it don't lie.  And the lack of athleticism hits us the hardest on defense.  

9 hours ago, swmckewon said:

No question the team's a little tired. Hard schedule, tough Big Ten, no Weidner, three really physical teams in a row...just where it is. 

A potpourri of excuses.  Well done.

Edited by HB

yes, HB.  To paraphrase the famous line from Casablanca ... "round up the usual excuses".  Sam makes that comment as though unaware that our competition has also been taxed by having played a hard schedule, in a tough conference, against physical teams, and after losing players to injury. As for exhaustion and injury, I keep going back to wasted and unused scholarships resulting in a short bench.  I keep seeing opposing teams line up 12, 14, 15 players. Last night when IU lost a starter to injury, they had a bench player to turn to.  

While missed FTs hurt, (AM going 1-6 is a 56% FT shooter this year) and the 20-0 run they made really hurt, per the official stats we went from 1:43 in the 3rd and did not make another FG til 1:36 in the 4th. In that stretch a lot of missed in close shots where we could have turned it into a three point play when we was fouled and plenty of poor decisions (turnovers) as well. Sam, yes we have a tough schedule down the B1G stretch, and it will not get any easier but as talked about more going on with this team. AM looked pissed after the game and I am not sure she did the post exchange with everyone. She could not get through it fast enough. Another tough game to watch and I can understand not making a 2-3 hour drive to watch this in person. I am 40 minutes away plus work in Lincoln so it is easy from me but if I have a long drive in it just would not be worth my time. Would still watch it. 

I am just so confused on the fact we are almost through the season and we look like we are still at preseason conditioning status. I feel like that is what is killing us in the 2nd half of late. I havent looked back at stats but I feel like the starters are starting to get more minutes like they should but I dont think the season has prepared them for it. The Kendalls are just not ready for Power 5 basketball sadly. Then you through Mendelson in there who is not up to speed and all we have left for meaningful subs is Stewart and Hake. That is just not enough to keep up with ppl. Basically playing 7 ppl. Which can be done if conditioned right look at UCONN. They have been doing it and it just caught up to them a couple days ago as well.

But I do believe what Geno has been saying is correct. The refs just arent consistent. It went from a normal game in the first half to a shove fest in the 2nd half and it was let go. I seriously feel like the NCAA has told the refs this year that thats how they want the games to be reffed. It goes from Basketball to street basketball between halves. And we dont have 1 girl that would stand up for themselves on the team. Maybe Hake is about it. 

11 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Sam, have you ever asked why there are 2 open scholarships, and another two occupied by players that don't play?  (not to mention one going to MM, a part time player) Maybe with a deeper roster, fatigue wouldn't be as big a problem.

3 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Sam, have you ever asked why there are 2 open scholarships, and another two occupied by players that don't play?  (not to mention one going to MM, a part time player) Maybe with a deeper roster, fatigue wouldn't be as big a problem.

Bingo. I’m beginning to shudder looking at the prospective roster next year .  We lose Sam for sure. Yes, we’ll get Allison back. But by all accounts, Bourne is not expected to return. And if we lose Jaz as well? And with only 2 freshman recruits signed to join next year’s squad? Yikes. If we don’t bring in a few talented transfers this offseason who are capable of significantly contributing? Friends, we’ll struggle to go .500 next year. 

I agree about the Kendalls.  Also the player whose performance has suffered the most when Allison went out is Jaz.  The stats don't lie.  That all being said when you are in close games like last night plays earlier in the game can have a big impact.  For example when an Illinois guard intercepted a bad pass from Kendall Moriarity and went down for an uncontested easy layup that was a potential 4 pt. play.  Maddie Krull later drove into the lane with no clear path of what to do next  and attempted a pass to Alexis with no chance of completion.  Not to pick specifically on her but we have several others that do the same thing.  Where are the pull up jumpers.  Sam and Allison are about our only players that do that.  Illinois had a large amount of scoring from 10 to 15 foot jumpers.

Edited by HUD

In order for us to win we pretty much have to have our "A" going for 4 quarters.   Good teams can usually get by with their "B" games against lesser opponents. We can't.  Our bench is pretty weak. This is a result of poor recruiting.  Not too bag on Maddie Krull, but for  a transfer, she is not an impact player.  Coach Williams really needs to go get a couple of impact players for next year and beyond.  If she doesn't, we'll always be in the lower half of the league.

Here is the blow by blow of how NE went from 10 up with about 1:40 in the third quarter with 51 points to staying at 51 points until 4:37 in the 4th quarter while meanwhile Illinois scored 20 points!

1:43

Nebraska

51 (+10)

GOOD JUMPER by KRULL,MADDIE(in the paint)

FOUL by LOPES,GEOVANA

MISS FT by KRULL,MADDIE

--

REBOUND DEF by BOSTIC,KENDALL

FOUL by MARKOWSKI,ALEXIS

1:27

GOOD LAYUP by BOSTIC,KENDALL(in the paint)

Illinois

51 (+8)

--

ASSIST by PEEBLES,JADA

1:07

FOUL by KRULL,MADDIE

1:07

TURNOVER by KRULL,MADDIE

0:49

GOOD LAYUP by BOSTIC,KENDALL(in the paint)

Illinois

51 (+6)

FOUL by MARKOWSKI,ALEXIS

GOOD FT by BOSTIC,KENDALL

Illinois

51 (+5)

0:38

TURNOVER by HAIBY,SAM

0:38

STEAL by RHODES,KAM'REN

0:13

GOOD JUMPER by ODEN,JAYLA(in the paint)

Illinois

51 (+3)

FOUL by HAIBY,SAM

GOOD FT by ODEN,JAYLA

Illinois

51 (+2)

0:02

MISS 3PTR by MORIARTY,KENDALL

--

4th Quarter

9:45

MISS 3PTR by COOK,MAKIRA

--

REBOUND DEF by HAIBY,SAM

9:33

MISS 3PTR by MARKOWSKI,ALEXIS

--

REBOUND DEF by ODEN,JAYLA

9:19

GOOD JUMPER by ODEN,JAYLA(in the paint)

file:///C:/Users/HRLQCC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png

9:06

FOUL by BOSTIC,KENDALL

MISS FT by MARKOWSKI,ALEXIS

--

REBOUND DEADB by TEAM

MISS FT by MARKOWSKI,ALEXIS

--

8:48

GOOD JUMPER by MCKENZIE,ADALIA(in the paint)

53 (+2)

file:///C:/Users/HRLQCC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png

FOUL by SHELLEY,JAZ

GOOD FT by MCKENZIE,ADALIA

54 (+3)

8:31

MISS JUMPER by MARKOWSKI,ALEXIS(in the paint)

--

REBOUND DEF by MCKENZIE,ADALIA

8:19

TURNOVER by MCKENZIE,ADALIA

8:19

STEAL by MARKOWSKI,ALEXIS

8:11

MISS 3PTR by BOURNE,ISABELLE

--

7:47

GOOD LAYUP by ODEN,JAYLA(in the paint)

56 (+5)

7:42

TIMEOUT 30SEC by TEAM

7:42

TIMEOUT MEDIA by TEAM

7:30

TURNOVER by SHELLEY,JAZ

7:30

STEAL by MCKENZIE,ADALIA

7:05

MISS LAYUP by COOK,MAKIRA(in the paint)

--

REBOUND DEF by SHELLEY,JAZ

6:48

TURNOVER by HAIBY,SAM

6:31

MISS 3PTR by SHOUP-HILL,BRYNN

--

REBOUND DEF by HAIBY,SAM

6:14

MISS JUMPER by BOURNE,ISABELLE

--

REBOUND DEF by MCKENZIE,ADALIA

5:55

GOOD 3PTR by ODEN,JAYLA

59 (+8)

file:///C:/Users/HRLQCC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png

--

ASSIST by COOK,MAKIRA

5:36

TURNOVER by HAKE,CALLIN

5:36

STEAL by MCKENZIE,ADALIA

5:16

GOOD JUMPER by COOK,MAKIRA(in the paint)

61 (+10)

file:///C:/Users/HRLQCC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image005.png

--

ASSIST by BOSTIC,KENDALL

5:06

TIMEOUT 30SEC by TEAM

5:06

TIMEOUT MEDIA by TEAM

4:44

FOUL by COOK,MAKIRA

4:37

FOUL by ODEN,JAYLA

61 (+9)

file:///C:/Users/HRLQCC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image007.png

GOOD FT by HAIBY,SAM

61 (+8)

file:///C:/Users/HRLQCC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image007.png

GOOD FT by HAIBY,SAM

NE in 3rd quarter 4-15, 1-5 on 3's, and 5-7 on free throws .   In the 4th quarter 1-10 on field goals; 0-5 on 3'ss, and 11-14 on free throws.   Yikes!!!!

So much is made of recruiting to Amy’s culture, and it seemingly had some success last year.  But it’s more or less the same players as last year so the importance of culture now seem overblown.  This team lacks quickness, athleticism, development, basketball IQ and toughness.  Every single player has seemingly flatlined or regressed from last year.

20 hours ago, Neb Nets said:

Bingo. I’m beginning to shudder looking at the prospective roster next year .  We lose Sam for sure. Yes, we’ll get Allison back. But by all accounts, Bourne is not expected to return. And if we lose Jaz as well? And with only 2 freshman recruits signed to join next year’s squad? Yikes. If we don’t bring in a few talented transfers this offseason who are capable of significantly contributing? Friends, we’ll struggle to go .500 next year. 

i wouldn't be shocked if there is another decision that might be made.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

40 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i wouldn't be shocked if there is another decision that might be made.

I have no information, just a feeling that Coley along with Bourne and Shelly won't be back.  Sam of course runs out of eligibility.  That would leave us with 7 returning players plus the 3 incoming freshman.  That leaves 5 open scholarships.  Amy needs to take several steps up the transfer ladder next season for us to challenge the upper tier of the Big Ten.  

2 minutes ago, HUD said:

I have no information, just a feeling that Coley along with Bourne and Shelly won't be back.  Sam of course runs out of eligibility.  That would leave us with 7 returning players plus the 3 incoming freshman.  That leaves 5 open scholarships.  Amy needs to take several steps up the transfer ladder next season for us to challenge the upper tier of the Big Ten.  

you might be right with Coley..........although, she seems to have accepted her role. don't remember, but, did she barely crack the top 50? i may be thinking of someone else. just to add, she isn't the one i am thinking of.