uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 25: @ Michigan

HuskerFever

Maybe we felt compelled to speed things up to try and get easy buckets in transition but ultimately felt like Michigan controlled the pace which makes it all the more difficult for the type of effort defense we run.  Do people feel like we weren't closing out on shots well enough or do people feel like Michigan was just making shots?

So, if Michigan shoots their regular percentages, they score 72 points.   They would be 17 - 33 from 2, and 9 - 26 from 3

I don't think we closed out very well on shooters.  Our adjustment was to stop doubling the post and that led to them getting in the lane.  

Walker had his best game in quite awhile 15 points 7 rebounds 8 assists 1 turnover.  Add in Keisei, and we have a chance down the stretch in a bunch of these games, if Keisei and Walker play like that.

Lawrence and Dawson played their worst game.

I've been alright playing Wilcher until tonight.  I was hoping, like the coaches were hoping, that he would find his shot.  He hasn't and I don't think he is going to find it.  Maybe in mop-up duty, he will find it.

47 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Maybe we felt compelled to speed things up to try and get easy buckets in transition but ultimately felt like Michigan controlled the pace which makes it all the more difficult for the type of effort defense we run.  Do people feel like we weren't closing out on shots well enough or do people feel like Michigan was just making shots?

I'm rewatching the first 8 minutes here and Dawson and Lawrence weren't sharp and Michigan made us pay.

Then it was us throwing zones out there and they went over like Charlie Sheen's pitches in Major League II, specifically the eliminator, the humiliator, and the out-of-stater

13 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I was hoping post-game Jake would ask this question more pointed to FH. FH said that Michigan was way too "comfortable" on the offensive end. That probably leads to confidence on your shots and more makes. It highlights that, even with the good scheme, when you have KT, CJ, or even DD running at you on a 3 attempt instead of EB or JG, you probably don't feel as threatened.  EB or JG are probably in Howard's face on those 3 attempts, not a step or two away.  Walker is not a rim protector, and SG is tall but gets beat a lot off the dribble.   Just no physical presence on defense - probably leads to the "comfort" FH talks about.

1 hour ago, 89Husker said:

I was hoping post-game Jake would ask this question more pointed to FH. FH said that Michigan was way too "comfortable" on the offensive end. That probably leads to confidence on your shots and more makes. It highlights that, even with the good scheme, when you have KT, CJ, or even DD running at you on a 3 attempt instead of EB or JG, you probably don't feel as threatened.  EB or JG are probably in Howard's face on those 3 attempts, not a step or two away.  Walker is not a rim protector, and SG is tall but gets beat a lot off the dribble.   Just no physical presence on defense - probably leads to the "comfort" FH talks about.

Agreed.  Losing Bando really hurts on the perimeter defense.  He is an A+ defender.  Way better than I expected him to be.

Dickinson has always been a nightmare matchup for us.  Massive dude we have to double to stop who is also an excellent passer.  Double him, he finds open shooters.  Don’t double, it’s like me playing against a 4th grader.  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t with that guy.