uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 24: vs Penn State

Red Don

Since nobody else seems to want to start the Thread!

Fred's GRIT; No QUIT, Huskers    :Salute:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1OwGWwrwRbWGQ

Keisei, Lawrence & Coach Hoiberg Post-game Presser @ the twitter link.  (sorry, I can't get the video to embed)

View full article

Edited by Red Don

46 minutes ago, busticket said:

Fred did an excellent job managing our rotation this game.  It’s almost like he has figured out who our reliable players are.  Lawrence really has taken a big step forward.  Sam Hoiberg is such a breath of fresh air…the kid is a very smart player.  Walker is still struggling a bit but we need the big guy.  

I thought Fred did an excellent job of minimizing the negative plays when Wilcher and Breidenbach were in.  As soon as the bad plays started happening the core guys came back in.  Really one of the best jobs managing the game that Fred had done here.

Very good point - have to believe the coaches used the extra couple of days between games to really dive into which rotations were hurting us. They minimized the number of minutes we had bad defensive groups out there together. Granted, it's also easier to do that when we don't have foul trouble.

Loved the urgency and pace we played with today on offense - probably another coaching tweak. Rather than burning shot clock with the weave up top that had little purpose, we were cutting and screening with urgency today early in the shot clock, especially the first 10 minutes. Not surprising we couldn't keep up that pace, but that early offensive burst basically won the game. 

Ultimately, even as good as Keisei and Lawrence were offensively, we won that game on D. Looked far more like what we did defensively with Gary & Bandoumel available earlier in the year. PSU did miss some open 3s, but we have to have that kind of help in most conference games. 

Only allowed 8 second chance points, 0 fast break points by limiting the live ball turnovers, and kept PSU off the FT line. That's a good recipe for this team, along with the extra offensive urgency.

I'm sure PSU took us pretty lightly, but we still had to go out and take advantage of that. Feels good to win in February - haven't done that very much the past few years.

Edited by throwback

KT is one of the more fun players we’ve had the opportunity to watch in some time.  His shooting + funny antics really make him a hoot.  Love the guy.  Can’t believe people wanted him gone.  He has completely taken on the role many thought CJ would play this year.  Both shooting and cuts to the hoop.

Today is what I think a lot of people had in mind when talking about taking advantage of our opportunities down the stretch.  There’s some wins out there to be had.

Remember all the games we started off slowwww and wondered “what if” later? Imagine had we did what we did to start today in those games.

Sam H could be a sneaky good role player in a year or two.  One to watch for sure.

Today doesn’t do much for me in terms of how I’m feeling about the season or how Fred’s done so far… but… great job and congrats to the coaching staff for picking this one up.  Realistically we could sneak in 14-15 wins if things really bounced our way.

Loved what Jamarques Lawrence brings to the table, he is a better-shooting version of a young Manny Bando. He'll get there eventually defensively to Bandoumel's status as an elite defender. Really has been a big sparkplug for NU to have him out there making plays along with Sam Hoiberg, as well, in that role for this squad. Also good to see that C.J. performing poorly has him seated firmly on the pine. Over the prior couple of seasons Fred had to play dudes who were significantly struggling & that affected results in a very negative light. Maybe Hoiberg has figured out how much "heart & hustle" it takes to get dubs in the Big Ten. I hope this team soars toward the finish line in 2023, despite the long odds, and wins a bunch in the final month plus.

Edited by AuroranHusker