Ten second rule

Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

What is the rule on being called for ten seconds. Does the player and ball have to cross half court, or can the ball cross with a pass? I have tried looking the rule up, but what I found made it more confusing.

Who knows.  Seems like there is no hard and fast rule with anything in College Basketball anymore.  NCAA doesn't feel consistancey is important and just focuses on the players and not the officials

16 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The 10-second violation in basketball is a rule that the player must cross half court in 10 seconds after their team inbounds the ball. If they do not cross half court in 10 seconds, possession is awarded to the other team. This is a rule for NCAA, WNBA and high school basketball.

Okay, thanks. That is what I read, but hgave seen different things happen on the 10 second rule.

I thought I would bring to the fore a few other misunderstood or inconsistant rules:

* Player control fouls;

* 3 second violation;

* Flop calls; and

* (and) one foul calls.

The first one has been discussed adnausiam.  Seems to still be a judgment call in most instances (with some clarity around the basket.)

3 second call should be abolished as it is rarely called.  If it is called, then I question the integrity of the referee.  Why did she or he call a violation at that moment, and not the twenty other times it occurs in any given game.

Flops, basically the same as above.  They seem to occur multiple times in any given game; but it is only called at select times and arguably can dramatically affect the game flow and/or outcome.

What we are now seeing more often is that a player goes for a lay up and makes it, a foul is not called.  But if it missed, then the ref blows a late whistle and assesses a foul.  WTH...it is a foul or it isn't.   That creates a situation where the refs whistle can control the game.  

I won't even get into the arm bars, the stiff arms, the extreme body contact (especially with the bigs going at it like rams fighting for the in-heat ewes.)  Meanwhile, a ticky-tac touch gets whistled.

Point being, the referees have a tough job.  BUT, they are the ones who are so inconsistent with their calls that create mistrust and integrity issues.  By the way, this is not just NCAA officials, this is officiating across the board.

Edited by Huskerpapa

15 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

What we are now seeing more often is that a player goes for a lay up and makes it, a foul is not called.  But if it missed, then the ref blows a late whistle and assesses a foul.  WTH...it is a foul or it isn't.   That creates a situation where the refs whistle can control the game.  

I was surprised to hear on the broadcast last night that it was a point of emphasis for referees to take their time

making a call.  That could be a reason why we’re seeing late calls.  I don’t like it as it makes it seem like “ope, ball didn’t go in, better call something.”

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I was surprised to hear on the broadcast last night that it was a point of emphasis for referees to take their time

making a call.  That could be a reason why we’re seeing late calls.  I don’t like it as it makes it seem like “ope, ball didn’t go in, better call something.”

On the surface it would seem the intention of this is to reduce the number of fouls called (i.e calling it only if it occurs), if a referee doesn't have to make a call "in the heat of the moment."  In effect I think it serves the opposite; to increase the number of foul calls (i.e. "if in doubt, call it out").

On 2/1/2023 at 8:46 PM, Huskerpapa said:

I thought I would bring to the fore a few other misunderstood or inconsistant rules:

* Player control fouls;

* 3 second violation;

* Flop calls; and

* (and) one foul calls.

The first one has been discussed adnausiam.  Seems to still be a judgment call in most instances (with some clarity around the basket.)

3 second call should be abolished as it is rarely called.  If it is called, then I question the integrity of the referee.  Why did she or he call a violation at that moment, and not the twenty other times it occurs in any given game.

Flops, basically the same as above.  They seem to occur multiple times in any given game; but it is only called at select times and arguably can dramatically affect the game flow and/or outcome.

I won't even get into the arm bars, the stiff arms, the extreme body contact (especially with the bigs going at it like rams fighting for the in-heat ewes.)  Meanwhile, a ticky-tac touch gets whistled.

Point being, the referees have a tough job.  BUT, they are the ones who are so inconsistent with their calls that create mistrust and integrity issues.  By the way, this is not just NCAA officials, this is officiating across the board.

Traveling calls are almost as bad as 3 second calls.  Right up there with offensive holding in football.