uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 23: at Illinois

HuskerFever

Let a really good opportunity slip away.  Unfortunately.  We won't get too many more opportunities.

- Refs stunk, but what else is new there.  22 FT's to 10 FT's and we didn't even foul late.

- Our TO problems continued.  Like what the heck.  29 TO's.  Walker has totally lost it with TO's.  Goodness.

- Gave up 9 offensive boards.

Look y'all-- Illinois, outside of their FT%, did not play well.  41%, 17%, 77% and turned it over 13 times themselves.  Sure, we were close for a good while, but we should have been.  The other team was playing terrible.  We're not going to get many more opportunities like this.  We need to win the ones we can.

Notes from UNL

•-Nebraska started three freshmen (Jamarques Lawrence, Denim Dawson and Sam Hoiberg) for the first time since Feb. 20, 2016. That night was the last of four straight games started by Glynn Watson Jr., Michael Jacobson and Jack McVeigh.
•-Sam Hoiberg becomes the 11th different Husker to start a game this season, as Nebraska used its seventh different lineup of the season. Hoiberg becomes the third Husker freshman to start at least once this season.
•-Prior to tonight, the last time that Nebraska had two Lincoln natives in the starting lineup was January 11, 2003, at Kansas (Jake Muhleisen and Andrew Drevo).
*-Blaise Keita saw his first action since Jan. 12, as he missed NU’s last four games with an ankle injury. Before tonight, he has played just eight minutes since suffering the injury against Queens on Dec. 20 He finished with four rebounds in 11 minutes.
*-Sam Griesel reached double figures for the 12th time this season and posted his second 20-point game of the season. It was his second 20-point game of the season and 15th of his career. It was his highest output since scoring 22 against Maine in the opener.
*-Keisei Tominaga had 11 points off the bench, his 13th double-figure game and 9th off the bench this season.Tominaga also matched his career high with three steals

Felt like Illinois cranked up the defensive pressure in the 2nd half and sped us up a lot, leading to atrocious offense and far too many turnovers. 

Scored 19 pts in the 2nd half and 9 of those 19 came in a span of about 51 seconds. Brutal. We'd have been better off on several of those possessions to just hold the ball and let the shot clock run out versus trying to run offense, turning it over or getting a shot blocked, and giving up a dunk. 

Good effort, all things considered, but Illinois is a terrible matchup for us, so not a surprising final score. Ultimately, another double-digit loss. Too many of those after the Gary injury. (It's 6 in 7 games for those counting.)

I think Saturday tells the tale of the rest of the season. PSU is going to be ripe to be upset - they'll probably be a 6 or 7-ish pt favorite Sunday, they handled us pretty easily the first time, they'll be coming off what'll probably be a pretty emotional / high energy game playing Purdue on the road tomorrow, and they haven't been a good road team of late. I'd imagine they'll take us pretty lightly. If we're going to steal a few wins down the stretch, it needs to start Sunday.

Edited by throwback

20 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Hoiberg with his welcome to Nebraska moment.  Complaining about the "ticky tack fouls on Walker"  Says the Big 10 allows the stars to get away with more except for Walker.  Which is true.

If anyone actually believes that Walker's fourth and fifth fouls were legitimate, I would suggest that person engage in a bit of self reflection, maybe get some counseling, and consider removing themselves from the gene pool.

13 hours ago, Tallbaby21 said:

Amazing that the toughest conference in college basketball rewards flopping and makes boxing out illegal. That said 18 turnovers, yuck. 

Watchng a lot of other conferences, no refs call more ticky tack fouls for the hell of it than the B1G. Starting to think this is why the conference seems to struggle in the tourney. You go all year playing with/anticipating these bs fouls until suddenly they don’t get called.

Edited by OmahaHusker

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

We've shot a combined 41% on 3s the last 2 games and lost by a combined 35 points. What happens if we revert to mean? Mon dieu!

I don't think we revert to the mean - we're having to play our better 3-pt shooters more with Gary & Bandoumel out, but we give up so much on the other end and on the boards that the better 3-pt shooting is not helping in the final result.

There's probably some interesting analytics somewhere that show what our 3-pt shot frequency looks like with and without Walker in the lineup the last few games, as well as our turnover percentage on possessions and points per possession with and without Walker in there. 

Clearly what we're trying to do offensively isn't generating enough points. We haven't scored more than 67 points in regulation in a Big Ten game yet. But with the way our defense is struggling, 67 and fewer points isn't going to win like it did earlier in the year. Including the game Gary got hurt, we've given up fewer than 72 points once in the last seven games. Not a winning formula.

We may need to adjust our offensive philosophy again to try to take advantage of what we have on the floor now versus what we had a month ago. I think we've already seen some of that, and the 3-pt percentage is up accordingly. We also may have to really look at which players are on the floor together and try to control it so we have certain guys running together more. (Foul trouble messes those plans up in a hurry, though.) The coaches have some extra time this week with the Tuesday/Sunday schedule, so maybe they can come up with some good offensive tweaks.

One other thing - loved that Fred rolled the dice with Walker and his 2 fouls for the final 5-ish minutes of the first half. Not something he normally does, but the game was getting away from us, and it felt like that move allowed us to get back into it before the break. Have to make some non-traditional moves like that the rest of the way to give this short-handed team a chance. 

I was worried about coming back with Walker on that late possession we had with 45-ish seconds left, but he ended up getting the assist on the Keisei 3 to get us within 1, so it ended up being another great move. 

We need to find a way to leverage Tominga more frequently offensively and defensively.   He goes chunks of time without touching the ball on offense.  I have extreme confidence in his shot selection...even 30 feet from the basket.  The majority of our shots need to come from DW, Sam, Lawrence and of course, Tominga. 

Tominga is also sneaky good with his off-ball defense.  He gets exposed with his on-ball defense.  I guess that may be why we are seeing more zone concepts...but then our rebounding suffers.  Man, why can't we just have it all!

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The unfortunate thing about Denim Dawson and his lack of shooting/scoring is that this is the first year of the Hoiberg era where he's not complimenting a guy who dominates the ball when on the court.

Yeah, his skill set would've been great in previous year's style & pace. Play D & rebound, ability to rise & finish on the break and a couple times a game when the D forgets he exists after not touching the ball for multiple possessions.

Couldn't watch the game.

Check-in on the ESPN app from time to time.

At half-time, it's a close game.  I say, "Cool."

At the 12:00 minute mark in the second-half, we are ahead.  I say, "Wow . . . maybe?!"

Next time I look, we are down by 6--check the box score and see Walker has four fouls.  I say, "Uh-oh."

Next time I look, the last ESPN entry says "Foul on Walker."  I say, "Oh-no!"

Next time I look, we lose by 16.  I say, "As usual."

32 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We need to find a way to leverage Tominga more frequently offensively and defensively.   He goes chunks of time without touching the ball on offense.  I have extreme confidence in his shot selection...even 30 feet from the basket.  The majority of our shots need to come from DW, Sam, Lawrence and of course, Tominga. 

Tominga is also sneaky good with his off-ball defense.  He gets exposed with his on-ball defense.  I guess that may be why we are seeing more zone concepts...but then our rebounding suffers.  Man, why can't we just have it all!

I actually love Keisei in a zone.  He has realllllly good basketball instincts and knows where to be/where he should be.  He just isn’t quick enough to get there sometimes.

I’d take a KT type of player on my team anyyyy day.

21 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

We need to get something from Keita/Breidenbach. 

Agree.   Was nice to finally see Keita back on the floor but he was obviously rusty.   I am about to give up hope of Wilhelm being a solid contributor.   He does some good things but just too many obvious mental mistakes and that doesn't seem to be improving.