Hoiberg Amongst His Peers

HuskerFever

9 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

trev either needs to commit to him long term or let him go. i don't see the benefit of just leaving things in limbo after this year. recruiting has already started to dry up. 

I do agree with this.  We went through this same thing with Tim and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  As Nudiehard said, it's a tough enough job the way that is is.  We should never again make one of our coaches run the program with his hands tied like we did Tim.  

50 minutes ago, tcp said:

I'm old enough to remember when Orr bolted Michigan for ISU. They had zero for real tradition. He built them out of nothing, I believe. Even mighty Duke sucked once before K showed up. It really is a question of the "right guy". If you can turn Gonzaga into a powerhouse, you can work miracles anywhere. 

Duke didn't suck. They played in 3 Final Fours in the '60s and the 1964 title game against UCLA. They also played in the 1978 championship game against Kentucky, but the coach left after the next year and Coach K was hired. He won 17 games and went to the NIT his first year with his predecessor's roster and had 2 losing seasons after that, so yes, he did have a losing record after 3 seasons. However, he also had an unbelievable roster with Johnny Dawkins, Jay Bilas, Mark Alarie and ... Bill Jackman. No wonder he had a long leash.

The "Duke stuck with Coach K even though he had a losing record" narrative needs some context.

9 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Duke didn't suck. They played in 3 Final Fours in the '60s and the 1964 title game against UCLA. They also played in the 1978 championship game against Kentucky, but the coach left after the next year and Coach K was hired. He won 17 games and went to the NIT his first year with his predecessor's roster and had 2 losing seasons after that, so yes, he did have a losing record after 3 seasons. However, he also had an unbelievable roster with Johnny Dawkins, Jay Bilas, Mark Alarie and ... Bill Jackman. No wonder he had a long leash.

The "Duke stuck with Coach K even though he had a losing record" narrative needs some context.

Yeah, Duke maybe wasn't what one would call a "blue blood" when K started there, but they were still pretty elite already.

13 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

I go to every single home game.  I watch every away game live on TV.  Like everyone on this board, I certainly enjoy winning a whole lot more than losing.  I was standing at center court for no-sit Sunday.  The last 3 years were bad, you will get no argument from me on that.  This year was much, much more enjoyable until derailed by injuries.  It was not at no-sit Sunday enjoyable levels, but it was a solid and significant step in the right direction.

To answer your question, no, there is not any amount of losing "this year" that could change my mind.  This team is now decimated by injuries and it will be a miracle if they win 1 or 2 more games.  I would like to see more production from the younger players, but that is still not going to be a determinative factor for me.  

But the remainder of this year is not "forever" IMO.  Next season the team will definitely have to show progress, including in the W-L column.  I am not sure exactly what win/loss record that might be, but definitely better than these first 4 years.  

I want to keep Fred because I believe he gives us the best chance to win more games in the future than the next random mid-major coach.  I acknowledge I could be completely wrong about that, and I acknowledge that his record here has been so bad that others like you are justified in thinking differently, but for me personally, I would like to give him at least one more year and then see where we are at the end of next season. 

Since we're doing trivia today, Danny Nee's 5th team went 26-8.

Danny Nee's 4th team went 10-18.

Not saying that Ramel Lloyd is any Tony Farmer. BUT his dad is apparently buddies with Tony Farmer. So, there's a certain symmetry in seeing what Fred might do in year 5 with the son of a guy who's buddies with a guy who sat out as a RS on Danny's 4th team.

Do we have facilities?  Yes.

Do we have a fan base?  Yes.

Do we  have administrative support?  Yes, I think.

Do we have blue blood history?  No.

Do we a culturally diverse community?  Kinda-sorta.

Do we have NIL money and vision?  Yes.

Can players grow intellectually, spiritually, professionally here?  Sure.

Can coaches earn a decent salary/contract here?  Um, yes.

Are unfair expectations placed upon coaches and staff?  Perhaps.

So, specifically,  why (again) is Nebraska a difficult/bad coaching gig?

Edited by Huskerpapa

13 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

I want to keep Fred because I believe he gives us the best chance to win more games in the future than the next random mid-major coach.

Maybe.....Bo Ryan, Fran McCaffery, Matt Painter, Scott Drew were all random mid major coaches. More recently guys like Pikiell, Dennis Gates were random mid major coaches. Kinda hard to say Fred is better than any random Mid Major coach.

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading that we can't expect to win games going forward unless we extend Hoiberg's contract. Hoiberg is under contract until 2027 and I'm fine with us rolling the dice for another year if that is what happens. If I'm painted into an artificial corner about that contract not being enough to operate, then fire Hoiberg when he gets off the plane tonight in Lincoln.

13 hours ago, jayschool said:

Iowa State's all-time record is 1412-1376, a .506 winning percentage.

Nebraska's all-time record is 1535-1417, a .519 winning percentage.

Nebraska leads the all-time series with Iowa State 131-103.

Since the 1980-81 season (first year for Moe Iba and Johnny Orr):

Nebraska 700-634 (.524), 7 NCAA Appearances (0-7), 2 teams ranked in final AP poll

Iowa State 763-583 (.567), 20 NCAA Appearances (20-20), 10 teams ranked in final AP poll

Since 1999-2000: 

Nebraska 351-392 (.472), 1 NCAA Appearance (0-1), 0 teams ranked in final AP poll

Iowa State 449-321 (.583), 11 NCAA Appearances (13-11), 7 teams ranked in final AP poll

2 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Tang is such an ironic example.  Is he an elite coach, or is he the benefactor of an administration that allowed him to sign Keontae Johnson?  And even if he proves over time he is 100% the real deal, for every Tang there are 20 Doc Sadlers (good but not elite). 

K-State will be below .500 next year and Tang will never be mentioned again. I truly believe that. That offense is 100% reliant on individual isolation plays from Johnson, Nowell and Sills. Two of those players just happen to be All-American caliber. The rest of their players are long athletes with no basketball skill. When only one of those three guys is in the game, it's frustratingly stagnant. I'm not impressed with Tang's scheming at all. They'll probably still be good defensively, but you have to score points in the Big 12. 

Edited by millerhusker

34 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Nebraska 700-634 (.524), 7 NCAA Appearances (0-7), 2 teams ranked in final AP poll

Iowa State 763-583 (.567), 20 NCAA Appearances (20-20), 10 teams ranked in final AP poll

Since 1999-2000: 

Nebraska 351-392 (.472), 1 NCAA Appearance (0-1), 0 teams ranked in final AP poll

Iowa State 449-321 (.583), 11 NCAA Appearances (13-11), 7 teams ranked in final AP poll

Subtract Greg McDermott's 59-68 record at Iowa State and they would be even better. 

51 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

And all of that AFTER Hercle Ivy!

One good thing about the era of transfers is there shouldn't be as much urgency to extend coach contracts in this type of scenario.  Our best players have been transfers for, what, a decade now?  The sell of "I'm going to be here for your entire collegiate career" doesn't carry nearly the weight it used to.  It really didn't carry much weight at ISU (Transfer U) either.  

I have a hunch we'll get a couple killers next season to play alongside Gary and end up with a decent team.  I do think next season you have to set a .500 mark for Fred if you're Trev.  This year should be a pass because the coaching has been phenomenal, but the depth hasn't been ready for B1G attrition.  That's also a component of coaching.  

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Two fun stats for the day. 

1. Prior to 2019-20, Nebraska had never had a 20 loss season in program history.

2. My research shows, no P5 HC has ever had 4 straight 20 loss seasons.

🤔

Need 3 more in the regular season

On 1/31/2023 at 1:39 PM, ConkintheCorner said:

How about Rodney Terry?

Interesting situation for Texas: Terry has them playing well, but he came to UT this year after a total flop at UTEP. The record of hiring interim coaches who did well isn't a good one. Most recent example I can think of is Wichita State, which has fallen off a cliff under the guy who succeeded Marshall.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Two fun stats for the day. 

1. Prior to 2019-20, Nebraska had never had a 20 loss season in program history.

2. My research shows, no P5 HC has ever had 4 straight 20 loss seasons.

🤔

Uhg this is depressing. Hoiberg is more likely to string that to 5 in a row than have the Huskers above . 500 next year. I am amazed so many people think what Hoiberg did this year is enough to run this back a fifth time. I get it injuries.