IOWA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Other than the second qtr debacle...we were competitive and focused. Did a nice job really, just the second qtr. killed us when we lost momentum for about 5-7 min. 

When tourney time comes around, Iowa's not a strong defensive team, so other offenses will be tough for them. Particularly on neutral courts.

3 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

If you get the ball to AM and Bourne on the block they will score with anybody. I don't think its so much about moves or development as it is about getting them the ball when they have the defender on their back. 

I just don’t believe we are as effective in the post as Iowa.  

Not that anyone is interested in moral victories but hardly a bad loss when you lose by 4 at Iowa.  They kept fighting and competed no matter the score and that gave them a chance in a game that was going south in the 3rd.  Bring that with a bit better execution and they can win a lot of games going forward.  GBR!!

Edited by mwm89

Nebraska recruited Jan Jensen way back in the day, she's from SW Iowa but ended up at Drake. Bluder arrived her SR year as coach and they've been together since despite other programs offering her opportunities.

Nebraska is really talented with good size and shooting I'm really surprised and puzzled as to why they aren't higher up in the BIG with this group of players.

Saw Taylor McCabe sitting on the Iowa bench, not playing. Wonder how satisfied she is with her Hawkeye experience thus far. She would have gotten way more playing time this year here at NU. Would likely be a starter here next year with Sam gone, especially if Jaz doesn’t return.  Maybe she’ll transfer! 

13 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

I still think we can be Illinois twice and finish 10-8 in the B10. They have one great win, and it was vs Iowa. They also lost to Purdue and everyone else you would figure they would lose to. I just don't believe in them or that ranking yet, and think that will work for us.

I hope so.  And needless to say, NW too.

Final Stats:

After a hot start to Q1, leading by as much as 10 points, and on a roll, Huskers were cooled down by a 7 minute stoppage to correct a malfunctioning clock issue; giving Iowa time to Regroup image.gif😬 .

Down by Eleven at the Half, Huskers were down by as much as 17 points before clawing back to finish strong, losing by only Four Points. :Shout:

GRIT, NO QUIT HUSKER LADIES!!! :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

image.png

image.png

Edited by Red Don

All in all, I think this was the best performance of the year - i mean the best when playing a quality opponent.  JS was 1 for 7 on threes and AM 1 for 5.  They are better than that. If each of them had connected on one more three, it would have been a photo finish.  AM had her best game (again, against a quality opponent).  JS's last turnover under the basket was a killer. I am more disappointed than ever that MM just hasn't made a significant impact.  Her first couple games since joining the team, IMO, were her best. 

As usual, watched the game again. 

We were at our best when we were in a fast paced attack mode. We did a lot of attacking the basket and we scored well  Must have been the plan...knowing Iowa wasn't going to be tough (and foul) defensively.....inside the lane. If we sat and relied on the three, we weren't as effective\in many ways.

Their center did not try to block shots or defend the basket very aggressively.....no fouls is the name of their game.

Anyway, Just another thought....observation.... if it makes any sense.

Edited by redsteve

25 minutes ago, Redhac said:

I was wondering if Caitlan Clark could go to the WNBA to get her out of college women's basketball but,

"The WNBA "requires players to be at least 22, to have completed their college eligibility, to have graduated from a four-year college or to be four years removed from high school".   Darn!

And she won't be 22 until January 2024.  Hoping she graduates early, but with NIL money, and relatively low pay scale in WNBA, she might not be in any hurry.