Decision time for next year

kldm64

Looking ahead to next year  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Fred to be retained as our head coach next year?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think Fred will be retained as our head coach next year?

• Yes
    • No

He made some necessary changes and I will favor an additional year.

Frank Solich was fired within one year of making some very necessary changes to his staff.  Our AD at the time felt that if he hadn't made the change, we would slip into mediocrity.   Lol.

Not sure that is an apple to apple comparison; but with a couple well thought out player additions we could be moving the right direction with Fred at the helm.  I am certainly not happily married to Fred...but we seem to have righted the ship.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I found it hard to vote with this year being incomplete. If we finish bottom 2 in the league again….I just don’t see how you run it back. 

You and I might not see how, but I think Trev does. I get the vibe that Trev isn't even throwing feelers out for a new coach at this point, and will just push everything till next year for a decision to be made. If he let Scott come back, he'll most definitely let Fred. 

I said yes to both.  Neither is made with conviction.  I don’t see much success the remainder of the season but I hope some younger players use their extra time to show development.  

If Trev decides to make a change I am afraid we take another step back (I know, how much further back can we go) in roster development.  Unless there is the miracle higher of a coach who attracts a plethora of high quality transfers.

Anyone who thinks it’s over already today is wrong.  There isn’t even rumblings yet really.  At least from those that might matter or who have the biggest voice.

Now— that isn’t to say that when the end of the year rolls around it won’t truly be over.  We need to show better the rest of the year than we did yesterday.  I don’t care if we’d have to trot out 5 walk ons.  If we play the rest of the season like last night, it’ll get so ugly it has to be over.

it really just depends what trev thinks and if the university thinks its worth spending money for a new coach.

fred has failed to get the type of talent here that he had at iowa st. i'm not sure how that changes next year unless some NIL money comes in for big time transfers, or you hire a coach that has had more recent recruiting success

Edited by FredsSlacks

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Putting this here for the few fans here who see this over already. I'll choose to see it as an opportunity to advance past the first day of the Big Ten tournament.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/basketball?iso=20230308T23&p0=64&msg=Imminent+Inevitability&font=cursive&csz=1

40 days, so like Lent.  I'm not ready to give up basketball ... yet.

8 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

I don't have the energy to go through another coaching change. As a fan, that sounds dumb, but it's true.

Maybe a more appropriate title for the Poll would be:  "Do you want to Go Through another wholesale change?" 

Changing Head Coaches would likely mean a complete turnover of the coaching and player rosters., i.e. starting over from square one.

I thought we already did that this season, with new asst coaches Adam Howard & Ernie Zeigler; player development director Emmanuel Tommy (and coaching staff Nate Loenser & Kurt Joseph new last year).

Still, early on, virtually nobody gave us Any Chance of winning more than a couple of conference games, until unheard of new players Juwan Gary and Emmanuel Bandoumel started playing and demonstrating their smothering defensive skills. All of a sudden we won some games where nobody gave us a chance; Some even opined we were an 'exciting' team to watch.

All this without Keyontae Johnson, currently tearing it up offensively at Kansas State, who was on the verge of transferring to Nebraska until UNL Administration nixed it. After Gary and Bandoumel, through no fault of their own are injured and out for the remainder of the season, we are back to being "the Bums" again, with zero chance of redemption? So we are going to throw everyone out and start over from square one again?

At this specific moment in time, I think I'd like Fred to get another year.  Ask me a different day and you may get a different answer.  I don't really expect any improvement next season, nor do I expect him to turn it around in the long-term.  Usually that combination would make me want to rip the band-aid off and move on.  But there aren't a whole lot of coaching names jumping out at me as great mutual fits, and I can't imagine the current funding to hire a new coaching staff is what we want it to be.  And with the way Trev has run his athletic departments (both at UNO and in Lincoln), I think he takes external circumstances into account.  It's not just as simple as asking whether Fred is the right fit or not.  In this case, I think Fred is the beneficiary of Trev looking around and seeing that it's not an ideal time to make the change and there are no slam dunk candidates waiting in the wings.  

I voted to retain, even though he doesn't deserve to return, based on merit. It seems more damaging to the program to fire somebody who the majority of fans want to give one more year. He's getting 75%+ backing here, and we're supposed to be the hard-core fans. Imagine the percentage is even higher for the people who are less rabid.

We're still arguing about Tim Miles 4 years later, and I don't want to have to listen to that with Fred if the next guy fails. Might be a stupid reason to keep Fred, but that's mine.

In my free time, I'm a weather vane.

Edited by Chuck Taylor
addition