Decision time for next year

kldm64

Looking ahead to next year  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Fred to be retained as our head coach next year?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think Fred will be retained as our head coach next year?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

We? I think it's just me.

Yeah, I'm still kinda salty about that one.

No it’s me too. We won 22 then 19 games & suddenly that wasn’t “good enough.” Tim actually accomplished something Tubby Smith NEVER did, post a Winning B1G Conference record. 

17 minutes ago, 49r said:

Me too, although I will readily admit I was excited by the Hoiberg hire and thought it was the obvious step forward for us as a program.

Man how wrong I was though.

Yeah, I mean that was the thing that made Tim‘s termination somewhat palatable, the idea that we were replacing him with what should have been an upgrade.

I’m sure there’s a baseball analogy there somewhere of trading off a solid pitcher that you really liked and picking up last year’s Cy Young winner on the free-agent market only for that guy to tear his rotator cuff while the guy you traded away wins 20 games.

6 hours ago, hal9000 said:

For me it comes down to, "Do you think FH can eventually build a winner here?"  I think he has it in him.  

Not sarcasm… but what in the last 4 years has given you this feeling?  Like he hasn’t even been able to build a .500 winner…. There are teams with the same number of wins in 1 year that he had in his time here.

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Not sarcasm… but what in the last 4 years has given you this feeling?  Like he hasn’t even been able to build a .500 winner…. There are teams with the same number of wins in 1 year that he had in his time here.

Obviously I can't use Fred Hoiberg's record here thus far as an argument in his favor.  I would only point out that initially he had faith in his system, with Matt Abdelmassih as his lone recruiter.  He stayed faithful to his plan for 3 years.  How long should one trust the system will work before they realize it won't?  I don't pretend to know, but I feel like FH believed they finally assembled the right players last year to execute his plan, and of course we know what happened.  

I believe he now knows what it takes to be competitive in the Big Ten, and it's not with players like Teddy Allen, no disrespect intended.  It's difficult enough to kick-start a perennially bad team into becoming a winner, let a lone have to do it in the Big Ten.  Steve Pikiell got it going in year 4, a year ahead of Fred, and who knows what could have been this year with all hands available.  One sliver lining is next year our reserves will be a lot more seasoned from day one.  

If next year we're playing on Wednesday again in the Big Ten Tourney, then my gut feeling was flat wrong.  I hope I'm not.  

Edited by hal9000

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I decided to vote so we could keep Sam - providing we don't lose all the rest of our games. Viruses and injuries have definitely played a role in Hoiberg's lack of success thus far. Let's hope the transfer portal is fruitful for next year's effort. 

This really got me thinking, which is dangerous. Did some digging and I'll post a thread on something related to this shortly.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:16 AM, Handy Johnson said:

No it’s me too. We won 22 then 19 games & suddenly that wasn’t “good enough.” Tim actually accomplished something Tubby Smith NEVER did, post a Winning B1G Conference record. 

Coach Miles success worked against him. Year two was so special, he had set the bar high. Hoiberg kinda has the opposite thing going right now. Years 1-3 were such a train wreck, that 1 month of competent basketball has people believing.

23 hours ago, hal9000 said:

For me it comes down to, "Do you think FH can eventually build a winner here?"  I think he has it in him.  He's very intelligent, has a great basketball mind, has good coaches, and I think he found something this year with trying to change the culture.  Hope he stays. 

While your descriptions seem accurate, you missed one key word:  Recruiting.  Fred doesn’t do much of it.  

2 hours ago, HB said:

While your descriptions seem accurate, you missed one key word:  Recruiting.  Fred doesn’t do much of it.  

I’m with you here.  

I’m barely on the side of having him back based on the philosophy he’s rolled out this year, but he’ll have to bring in a couple of killers in the portal who can really score it to go with the decent role players he’ll have back.  We don’t really know if this staff can recruit.  They can certainly coach.  

On 1/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, aphilso1 said:

In this case, I think Fred is the beneficiary of Trev looking around and seeing that it's not an ideal time to make the change and there are no slam dunk candidates waiting in the wings.  

FH was a slam dunk hire. 

100% with you on your post… just wanted to point that statement out. 

11 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I’m with you here.  

I’m barely on the side of having him back based on the philosophy he’s rolled out this year, but he’ll have to bring in a couple of killers in the portal who can really score it to go with the decent role players he’ll have back.  We don’t really know if this staff can recruit.  They can certainly coach.  

I tend to agree with the jury being out on recruiting, but this staff did bring in Juwan Gary, Bando, and got Griesel to transfer here. Also, I was just watching the coaches show and FH stated that Juwan Gary has two more years left…I thought he had just 1. Two more of him would be nice. 

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I tend to agree with the jury being out on recruiting, but this staff did bring in Juwan Gary, Bando, and got Griesel to transfer here. Also, I was just watching the coaches show and FH stated that Juwan Gary has two more years left…I thought he had just 1. Two more of him would be nice. 

Yep.  I'm just not sure which assistants recruited them.  I know Griesel for sure was recruited by a coach who is no longer here.  I'm not sure who got a foot in the door on the others, but I have my guesses.

That said, I'm floored by the actual coaching of the assistants so it's worth a shot to see what their roster looks like next season.  We certainly have some nice role players.  

I’m curious if Fred’s restructure had expectations tied to it like Frost’s did? I believe it came out that 6 wins and a bowl were frost’s targets. If we do end up at 12-20, it feels like we would be well below any expectations that Trev would have set for Fred. 

EDIT: I found my answer. Per the LJS “Like Football, Hoiberg will have undisclosed metrics he and the team will have to meet next season”

Edited by The Polish Rifle

9 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I’m guessing Trev will also consider the injuries and marked difference in on the court playing style and attention to hustle, defense, and always fighting too. Those things weren’t always a given last year. Actually, they rarely were…

I will say the context around the metrics was getting to a place where “results matter” - that’s quoting Trev. Maybe Fred has more leeway than Frost does. 

22 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I will say the context around the metrics was getting to a place where “results matter” - that’s quoting Trev. Maybe Fred has more leeway than Frost does. 

Fred has more leeway if for now other reason he didn't make the university write out a contract.  

If I was reading these metrics correctly, Frost had to make a bowl game to get his contract back to full, not to keep his job.

Seemed like he needed to show "incremental improvement" to keep his job which he's done in part because the first 3 years were so terrible.