I can't shake the year 1 vibes I get from this team...

uneblinstu

• 11 months later...
30 minutes ago, huskerkid21 said:

Hows everyone feeling in "year 2"?

Well considering the fact that we'd have to lose out the rest of the way this season to not at least match last year's win total, and our KenPom ranking is more than 50 spots ahead of what it was last year at this time, I think we're progressing along fairly nicely in "year 2".

On 1/24/2023 at 12:47 PM, hskr4life said:

I am so torn.  I've stated multiple times that it was post season or bust for me this year.  The injury thing though has me reconsidering that just a little bit.  But at what point do we finally say "this is it and this is what you have to do"?  Obviously those are decisions none of us will be making.  At this point in time, I am torn.  I could go either way.  What do I still want to see the rest of this year?  I don't know. 

All I know is this has been the worst 4 year stretch I can remember watching and that's saying something being a Nebrasketball fan.  This year has been different in terms of likability, but in terms of W's/L's that has yet to be seen.  I'm sure we will win at least one more, so I guess you could say that's an improvement over previous years, but it shouldn't be hard to win 34 games to this point in time... KU Basketball won 34 games last year alone.

Feeling much better about this year.  I was post season or bust last year but understood why we’d give another chance after finishing how we did.

I’ve stated in other threads that I’m NCAAs or bust this year and I’ll stick to that.  Much improved and much more fun to watch!  Much more of a TEAM the past year and a half too.

We have a lot of building blocks for next year too if everyone who can stick around does.  If I’m not mistaken only Boogie, KT and Allick are out of eligibility.  Two of those guys will be hard to replace but it’s not like it will have to be a clean slate again.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.  

1 minute ago, Keenan9595 said:

We have a lot of building blocks for next year too if everyone who can stick around does.  If I’m not mistaken only Boogie, KT and Allick are out of eligibility.  Two of those guys will be hard to replace but it’s not like it will have to be a clean slate again.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.  

This is accurate

https://huskerhoopscentral.com/scholarship-matrix/

I’ve seen the best and worst basketball in 30 years of watching under Hoiberg.  It’s wild. 

But he figured out how to win, and he deserves to be around to see it through.   It’s an incredible adjustment and took a ton of humility to change his entire philosophy on both ends.  

We have a hell of a lot of talent coming down the pike.  

1 hour ago, Keenan9595 said:

In addition, without casting aspersions at anyone, I have to imagine there will be one or two portal departures. I'm not going off of inside information, just logic and intuition. 

The list of needs is shorter and more manageable than it was a year ago when I said the list was short and manageable.

25 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

In addition, without casting aspersions at anyone, I have to imagine there will be one or two portal departures. I'm not going off of inside information, just logic and intuition. 

The list of needs is shorter and more manageable than it was a year ago when I said the list was short and manageable.

For sure, like the glaring one to me is Blaise.  Not because when healthy I don’t think he can play or be beneficial to the team…but is he ever going to be able to play for extended periods again without getting hurt?  You are already going to lose Josiah and our freshman is very raw, you might want to look at getting two portal big men next year to go with mast and diop.  Just a thought.

Interesting:

Fred Hoiberg’s Record Thru First 87 Games:
19-20 (32): 7-25
20-21 (27): 7-20
21-22 (First 28): 7-21
Total: 21-66 (.241)

His Record Thru Last 56 Games:
21-22 (Last 4): 3-1
22-23 (32): 16-16
23-24 (First 20): 15-5
Total: 34-22 (.607)

14 hours ago, OurDecay said:

Interesting:

A lightbulb came on, and a new AD was there to witness it.

On 1/27/2024 at 1:16 AM, OurDecay said:

Interesting:

We’re going through the B1G like S**t Through a Tin Horn. 

14 hours ago, busticket said:

I think the AD turned on the lightbulb.

Team effort.  I said something like it last year.  The vision was put in place at the end of the 21-22 season.  We likely do have an AD viewing this closer to year 2.  Those first three years aren't important.  It comes down to continuing improvement and culture.

4 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

These next three games are huge. If we don't win any of them, barring some quality wins in the Big Ten tournament, we could be on the outside looking in. We just don't have a lot of opportunities left for Q1 and Q2 wins. Buckle up!

Nebraska's sole remaining Q1 opportunity at home is on Thursday night. It's basically a must-win at this point.

Edited by AuroranHusker