MARYLAND GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

If Brady and Dillard are really gone (i hope so) and with Sam leaving for sure, then Huskers need to hit the portal hard regardless of what happens with Izzie and Jazz whose decisions affect only how many to try to take from the portal not whether or not to. Two incoming freshmen will clearly not be enough next year. 

On 1/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

geez.........i hate to be negative. however, i could easily see huskers going 3-6 down this stretch. minny being toss-up game. won't be easy at Williams. 💔 man, i hope i am wrong. just going with head instead of heart. GBR 

need to be huge on the road.

There's a big difference between being negative and being realistic.  After the Rutgers debacle, I looked at the schedule and was thinking it could be difficult to finish 0.500 overall.  I figured at best 2-2 in the games completed since then which has played out.  Lot of tough games left.

As of now, I see probable beatdowns by Iowa (2) & Michigan; probable losses to Illinois (2); probable split (hope for a sweep) with NW (best case in these 7 is 3-4, but I just don't see that happening - more than likely will be 2-5 or 1-6).  MSU almost beat Iowa a few days ago and I agree with you on the Goophers, so again maybe a split in those 2.  So, either 3-6 or 2-7 to finish 15-14 or 14-15, respectively.  Probably have to win a couple of B1G tourney games to see any further postseason action.

Now, if they can start making 3-pointers again, they can beat anybody, but the recent trend of horrendous shooting doesn't bode well for that scenario.  I think the Rutgers crapshow broke them.

OK trying to give some honest feedback here.

Viewing comments above I've seen a few on transfer portal, a couple on recruiting, a couple on 3pt. shooting.....

I think our biggest problem is player development.  Line up stats and let's be honest Issie this year or 2 years ago, Jaz last year or this year,  Alexis Markowski last year or this year,  Annika Stewart last year or this year.  As a program we have zero idea there is development past the three point line.  The difference between last year and this year opponents have decided to take away the three point line and see if we sink or swim.  Having our bigs play behind the line a good idea.  If you take away Markowski our bigs average 28% behind the line, I clearly have no idea why that's more valued than the lost rebounds, playing inside out and everything else with bigs playing big

29 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I think part of the play for our 5's is do we truly have a coach who understands what it takes to play with your back to the basket?

Yes, I believe we do.  I see a plethora of excellent post moves by our bigs.  I also see them being practiced in pregame.  Some days we are out-executed and some days we are out-schemed; but I do not doubt the staff's knowledge of coaching back-to-the-basket technique.