MARYLAND GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

15 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Again like I have stated before. I love Amy but Amy's teams will always be a middle of the pack team. I think its the way she recruits. Its perfect for a non power 5 team but I dont think the way she recruits fits BIG ten basketball.  I cant really say one thing bad about her personally cuz I really love watching her but the recruiting and coaching style is not a power 5 program style. 

I agree with this.  Passing, turnovers, live or die by the 3, game management, lack of recruiting expertise (or effort), player development, roster management, etc., are ongoing issues.  Either this staff finds another gear, or we have peaked.  Should Trev be looking for another HC?

2 hours ago, Neb Nets said:

NUtball, you are 100% on the money with your post. And I’m sorry, I don’t want to ruffle anyone’s feathers, but that’s exactly why I can’t bring myself to get overly excited about Kennedi Williams signing to play with NU. Nothing against her personally - she’s a very smart and talented player. But at 5’3”, she will be at a distinct and undeniable disadvantage against opposing perimeter defenders who are in the 5’10 to 6’1 range. I realize she has excelled at LSW and is playing at an elite level, but there is a huge difference between Nebraska Class A high school girls b-ball and B1G WBB. 

Kennedi might be the type kid you take as a walk-on, but agree, odds are long she would be a major contributor in the B1G.  Did I hear correctly, she is sitting out this WBB season with an injury?  

33 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

I agree with this.  Passing, turnovers, live or die by the 3, game management, lack of recruiting expertise (or effort), player development, roster management, etc., are ongoing issues.  Either this staff finds another gear, or we have peaked.  Should Trev be looking for another HC?

its very difficult to judge the recruiting aspect as no one really knows what goes on inside the program. i would argue that more than likely they shoot for many top notch players, however, the interest is not reciprocated. jmo. you have to show you can win on a pretty consistent basis.

I haven't seen Kennedi play, but if she has a quick first step and some speed, she could be the type of defender that I call a pest.  Those are the types that never leave you alone, are always buzzing around poking at the ball, they get some steals and oftentimes will be fouled by the person they are defending because of frustration (which can put the other team in foul trouble).  

I am all for taller players, but they must be athletic.  I define athleticism apart from skill.  I've seen way too many taller players (around that 6' mark) that can shoot a decent percentage, but they can't move their feet, are always a step behind on offense and defense, and they rarely get open long enough to get a decent shot off.  Those are the types of players we can't afford to have.  So the question is, where do you find these taller players with athleticism (overall speed, quick first step, jumping ability), that are also skilled enough (dribbling, defending without fouling, shooting) to play in the B1G?  And how do we keep them on our team (don't mean to beat a dead horse, but we had 3 of these types a few years ago and they all 3 left us)?

Kennedi can play at this level, no question.  That is if her healing and rehab continues to progress as anticipated.

Yesterday we were consistently a 1/2 second slow and always failed to make that extra pass or defend their extra pass.  Not sure how to fully explain that, but we were off.  

Add to that, Maryland seemed extra incentified.  Perhaps they always do it, but they did not come off the floor in pregame.  When the huskers came off, they continued to run drills.  They had a mental edge, to go along with their clear talent edge.

Not all is doom and gloom.  We have some young and talented players.  We had an off day.  But there is zero need for a total overhaul.  A few additional talented players will assist us to the next level.

17 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I haven't seen Kennedi play, but if she has a quick first step and some speed, she could be the type of defender that I call a pest.  Those are the types that never leave you alone, are always buzzing around poking at the ball, they get some steals and oftentimes will be fouled by the person they are defending because of frustration (which can put the other team in foul trouble).  

I am all for taller players, but they must be athletic.  I define athleticism apart from skill.  I've seen way too many taller players (around that 6' mark) that can shoot a decent percentage, but they can't move their feet, are always a step behind on offense and defense, and they rarely get open long enough to get a decent shot off.  Those are the types of players we can't afford to have.  So the question is, where do you find these taller players with athleticism (overall speed, quick first step, jumping ability), that are also skilled enough (dribbling, defending without fouling, shooting) to play in the B1G?  And how do we keep them on our team (don't mean to beat a dead horse, but we had 3 of these types a few years ago and they all 3 left us)?

tall, athletic players that can move (and score) give you a pretty darn good advantage, of course.

however, shauna green at illinois has done a great job in her first year. these are her main players: 5'6", 5'6", 5'9", 5'10", 5'10", 6'2", and 6'3". they can harass the crap out of you, and, can play pretty good offense. i believe they are sitting at 6-3 in the big ten.

7 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

tall, athletic players that can move (and score) give you a pretty darn good advantage, of course.

however, shauna green at illinois has done a great job in her first year. these are her main players: 5'6", 5'6", 5'9", 5'10", 5'10", 6'2", and 6'3". they can harass the crap out of you, and, can play pretty good offense. i believe they are sitting at 6-3 in the big ten.

Tall is nice, but they don't have to be 6 footers.  Jaz, Sam, and Allison do just fine.  Still, to play in the B1G at 5'3", it would take a special player.  Maybe Kennedi is that player.  Time will tell.

37 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

its very difficult to judge the recruiting aspect as no one really knows what goes on inside the program. i would argue that more than likely they shoot for many top notch players, however, the interest is not reciprocated. jmo. you have to show you can win on a pretty consistent basis.

I wish this staff was more transparent with regards to recruiting.  I enjoy reading about kids we are interested in. The articles drum up interest.

Recruiting 101, you bring players in or you don't.   Looking ahead, we have two open scholarships, plus Sam and Izzie are leaving.  Have Dillard and Brady run out the clock?  What if Jazz doesn't return, or someone like Coley/Stewart decides to hit the portal?  That is a ton of open scholarships to fill.

2 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Again like I have stated before. I love Amy but Amy's teams will always be a middle of the pack team. I think its the way she recruits. Its perfect for a non power 5 team but I dont think the way she recruits fits BIG ten basketball.  I cant really say one thing bad about her personally cuz I really love watching her but the recruiting and coaching style is not a power 5 program style. 

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

I wish this staff was more transparent with regards to recruiting.  I enjoy reading about kids we are interested in. The articles drum up interest.

Recruiting 101, you bring players in or you don't.   Looking ahead, we have two open scholarships, plus Sam and Izzie are leaving.  Have Dillard and Brady run out the clock?  What if Jazz doesn't return, or someone like Coley/Stewart decides to hit the portal?  That is a ton of open scholarships to fill.

i just think it was a mistake to depend on either one of these two (due to medical issues from the beginning). i still scratch my head on the decision to offer the gal from out east that had surgery on her legs to try and help with the pain. apologize, but her name slips my old feeble mind. i checked in on a couple of her games last season and she hardly had any playing time there.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I think we need a new women's coach, but Williams is not a priority with the way the men's basketball team fails!  This last game, granted we were gwtting buzzed, but Williams did not call a single time out!  She did not show up on post game radio so maybe they were having a come to Jesus meeting!  It is needed!  Jaz need to drive more or take pull up jump shots as well!  Our bigs are playing too low to effectively get a pass and shot

28 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i just think it was a mistake to depend on either one of these two (due to medical issues from the beginning). i still scratch my head on the decision to offer the gal from out east that had surgery on her legs to try and help with the pain. apologize, but her name slips my old feeble mind. i checked in on a couple of her games last season and she hardly had any playing time there.

Makenzie Helms.  Once she did heal up, she left.

18 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

The one thing that bothers me is no Brady and Dillard with the team on the bench. Allison has missed only one game (PSU) as she had her surgery on the 10th. How can you win or lose as a team when two of them are excused(?) from being on the bench but appear to still be part of the team.

Dillard might be working on a Doctorate by now (mostly kidding).   The open scholarships bother me more.  If nothing else, I think unused women scholarships affect available men scholarships (Title IX).

As was pointed out earlier, Trevor Lakes is her boyfriend, one time Husker MBB player and now went back to IN (home state) for his SR. season to play for Southern Indiana. Issie is in her 4 year at NE so maybe they want to be together after this season. Watching yesterday and some of the fouls and the one where the Maryland gal lost her balance and Issie was called for her 5th got me thinking...well Issie has had more than her share of odd calls against her so maybe it is just time to move on with life. 

19 minutes ago, Montana_85 F said:

So I've seen several times that Issie is leaving... how do we know this? I'm just curious cause I haven't heard this anywhere else.

I'm not sure.  I guess I'm basing it on a post from the Penn State Game Day Thread (below).  Not sure if there has been anything else posted.

"congratulations to izzie 1000+ career pts.....and, congrats to coach williams for #300!!!

i did read an article that stated izzie will not be back. i hope the columnist got the info wrong.....time will tell."

We are a fun team to watch when we are hitting shots.  Hitting shots doesn’t necessarily mean you are playing well.  A team can move the ball crisply, execute the offense, get open looks, not turn the ball over and still miss shots. Good shooting overcomes plenty of shortcomings.  I want our girls to succeed and when we put everything together we are competitive.  It’s a challenge to put it all together each time out.

geez.........i hate to be negative. however, i could easily see huskers going 3-6 down this stretch. minny being toss-up game. won't be easy at Williams. 💔 man, i hope i am wrong. just going with head instead of heart. GBR 

need to be huge on the road.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

6 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Again like I have stated before. I love Amy but Amy's teams will always be a middle of the pack team. I think its the way she recruits. Its perfect for a non power 5 team but I dont think the way she recruits fits BIG ten basketball. And then the whole subbing in and out ever 3 or 4 minutes and she always has a tendency to sub out the girls that were on a run or had just made a big play which in turn kills the momentum if you ask me. I cant really say one thing bad about her personally cuz I really love watching her but the recruiting and coaching style is not a power 5 program style. 

I've talked about the non stop subbing issues several times before. Certainly you need subbing occasionally but when there's no rhyme or reason to.....yeh it has always been a head scratcher.

I get she want's to play everyone, but is it beneficial to the game in the end ?  

Most teams, mens and womens, particularly good ones, just don't do that. Entirely a Coaches decision. And said it recently...is a .600 record ok..and/or acceptable ultimately. Sure it's the B1G and a tough road. But it is what it is, and the team is hopefully able to match up and be competitive.

While I''m whining...the failure to start strong many times, is a repeated problem. When we start well our chances of winning is great, but start slow...we're just not strong enough to over come usually.  

Just disappointing to see a squad with this much talent do what's been doing this year.  Disappointed for the kids most of all. Injuries has sent in the wrong direction too.

There's too much talent in the transfer pool to not seemingly.... take advantage. maybe coach is paying attention to it...we'll see.

OK enough......no claim to be an expert...just frustrated I guess.

Edited by redsteve