MARYLAND GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Glad we are finally sitting Jaz as there is no need for her to be out there and Markowski might as well sit it out.  Turnovers that are unforced continue to kill us.  Keep Coley in the game as she is at least showing some effort. 

It will  be even uglier in Iowa City.

Final: Maryland by fifteen points: (54-69)

Maryland avenges their twenty-three point loss (90-67) to the Husker Ladies (@ their house) on Dec 6, 2022.

Despite never leading, and being behind 20+ points most of the game, the Husker Ladies continued to hang in there and fight to reduce the final deficit to fifteen points.

GRIT; NO QUIT HUSKER LADIES!!! (their Hallmark :Salute:)
:Shout::Shout::Shout:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Red Don

With only 2 scholarship freshmen joining this team next fall, Amy and staff need to work the transfer portal this spring and summer like nobody’s business. Need to bring in a couple of 4s and a solid 5 who can readily contribute since we don’t get Maggie M until mid December at the earliest 

25 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Final score is very misleading.  Maryland is far superior to us.  5’8 guards don’t stand a chance against the length and athletic ability of our opposition and we have to cut down on our unforced turnovers. 

I've been thinking about this for quite awhile.  It's not that Nebraska's guards are bad players, they are just physically at a disadvantage across the board against most of the conference competition.  2-3 inches shorter also usually translates to shorter wingspan and makes it quite difficult for them to do what they need to do on the court on both ends, but especially when they face a little defensive pressure.  I think the focus of recruiting guards needs to look more at the 5'11" to 6'1" type of player.

1 hour ago, Neb Nets said:

With only 2 scholarship freshmen joining this team next fall, Amy and staff need to work the transfer portal this spring and summer like nobody’s business. Need to bring in a couple of 4s and a solid 5 who can readily contribute since we don’t get Maggie M until mid December at the earliest 

Jaz is going to be missed. Who will be our playmaker?  

25 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Not sure but with Bourne leaving it seems reasonable that she would leave.

Obviously don't wish either of the Aussies to leave. They are great players. Great representatives of UNL. Just great people.

As much as their meaning to the team is extremely valuable, they're still young women, that have lived away from home 3+ years....far away from family and friends...you can't go home for a long weekend when ever you feel like it. 

Will miss them when they go, but fully recognize what they have given the Team and University......and equally what they have given up.

Edited by redsteve

2 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Obviously don't wish either to leave. They are great players.

As much as their value to the team is extremely valuable, they're still young women, that have lived away from home 3+ years....far away from family and friends...you can't go home for a long weekend when ever you feel like it. 

Will miss them when they go, but fully recognize what they have given the Team and University......and equally what they have given up.

Izzy is dating Trevor Lakes, Who was on the mens basketball team last year.

as i approached this game, there were four self inflicted errors that I didn't want to see: 1) lazy passes or attempting to pass the thru two defenders that result in turnovers; 2) missed bunnies; 3) getting a defensive rebound 90% secured and then losing it to a slashing quick handed defender; 4) AM getting fouls when what she was trying to do wouldn't have been effective anyway.  Those were the four.  The first three of those were committed in the first 60 seconds and the 4th was not far behind. 

I have to give up on bemoaning the lack of traveling calls. I guess that the practical meaning of traveling (not as defined but as called/applied) has changed and I have not yet changed with it. 

This team should be performing better - considering the available talent 

14 hours ago, NUtball said:

I've been thinking about this for quite awhile.  It's not that Nebraska's guards are bad players, they are just physically at a disadvantage across the board against most of the conference competition.  2-3 inches shorter also usually translates to shorter wingspan and makes it quite difficult for them to do what they need to do on the court on both ends, but especially when they face a little defensive pressure.  I think the focus of recruiting guards needs to look more at the 5'11" to 6'1" type of player.

NUtball, you are 100% on the money with your post. And I’m sorry, I don’t want to ruffle anyone’s feathers, but that’s exactly why I can’t bring myself to get overly excited about Kennedi Williams signing to play with NU. Nothing against her personally - she’s a very smart and talented player. But at 5’3”, she will be at a distinct and undeniable disadvantage against opposing perimeter defenders who are in the 5’10 to 6’1 range. I realize she has excelled at LSW and is playing at an elite level, but there is a huge difference between Nebraska Class A high school girls b-ball and B1G WBB. 

Edited by Neb Nets

This team does too much standing and little to no movement on offense. Part of it is because we do too much dribbling. As pointed out too many lazy passes and late passes. Yesterday was tough to watch. Looking ahead we could/should win 4 more games (NW (2), MSU, and MN) but with this team that is no sure thing. Could be a long rest of the year. 

Again like I have stated before. I love Amy but Amy's teams will always be a middle of the pack team. I think its the way she recruits. Its perfect for a non power 5 team but I dont think the way she recruits fits BIG ten basketball. And then the whole subbing in and out ever 3 or 4 minutes and she always has a tendency to sub out the girls that were on a run or had just made a big play which in turn kills the momentum if you ask me. I cant really say one thing bad about her personally cuz I really love watching her but the recruiting and coaching style is not a power 5 program style.