unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 20: at Penn State

uneblinstu

I'm growing tired of his antics. It's like playing 4 against 5 on the defensive end. I think at one time we had Briedenbach, Wilcher, Dawson, Lawerence, and KT on the court at one time. No Power 5 team should have a team like that on the court ever unless it's end of the game, mop up duty, waiting to get on the bus time. Hoiberg should be fired just for putting that lineup out there.

2 hours ago, huskercappy said:

I'm growing tired of his antics. It's like playing 4 against 5 on the defensive end. I think at one time we had Briedenbach, Wilcher, Dawson, Lawerence, and KT on the court at one time. No Power 5 team should have a team like that on the court ever unless it's end of the game, mop up duty, waiting to get on the bus time. Hoiberg should be fired just for putting that lineup out there.

Sam played 38 minutes.  Walker played 34 minutes.  That line-up was out there for a max of 2 minutes.  Without Bandoumel, Gary, Lloyd, McPherson, Keita that line-up has a chance to be out there every once in a while.

5 hours ago, basketballjones said:

HCFH has refused to coach roles and/or hold players accountable to them the entire time he’s been here. What makes you think he’s going to start now?

I would agree there have been instances in past years of players not being held accountable, but I don't think that is what is happening now in regards to Sam and Wilhelm.  Fred just has a fundamentally different philosophy than you.  He wants players like Sam and Wilhelm to shoot 3s when they are open.  In fact, he has stated publicly that he is instructing them to shoot more 3s.  Obviously, we can all disagree with that philosophy when the shots don't fall, but this is judging the philosophy on the results rather than the process, which is not the best way to judge something.

For instance, Wilhelm is currently shooting just 23% from 3, but that is the exact same percentage that Bando is shooting.  If Bando had not got injured, I doubt anyone would be wanting Bando to be told he must make his first 3 or stop shooting.  Dawson is currently shooting 36% from 3, but if I had to choose between Dawson or Wilhelm or Sam, I would take Wilhelm or Sam all day every day.  Frankly, I am shocked whenever Dawson makes a 3, his free throw form speaks volumes as to his shooting acumen.  

There were times in that game that I also wished we would have gone inside to Walker more.  But we can't do it every play.  PSU started doubling him and Walker has been turning the ball over quite a bit lately.  Walker currently has 6 more turnovers than anyone else on the team (Bando has 43), and Walker didn't even play in the first 5 games.  He needs some space to operate.  If Fred restricted everyone on the team except Keisei and CJ from shooting 3s, then opposing teams would quickly catch on to this and put even more defenders in the paint.  You can't assume that if we shot less 3s that Walker (or anyone else for that matte) would continue to be just as efficient as before, because by not allowing them to shoot 3s the defense is allowed to adjust and play more in the paint.  This is B1G basketball, opposing coaches aren't stupid.

With that said, I do agree that CJ should not force things so much.  He is more a catch and shoot player.  His attempts at playmaking have led to way too many turnovers this season.  

4 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

I would agree there have been instances in past years of players not being held accountable, but I don't think that is what is happening now in regards to Sam and Wilhelm.  Fred just has a fundamentally different philosophy than you.  He wants players like Sam and Wilhelm to shoot 3s when they are open.  In fact, he has stated publicly that he is instructing them to shoot more 3s.  Obviously, we can all disagree with that philosophy when the shots don't fall, but this is judging the philosophy on the results rather than the process, which is not the best way to judge something.

For instance, Wilhelm is currently shooting just 23% from 3, but that is the exact same percentage that Bando is shooting.  If Bando had not got injured, I doubt anyone would be wanting Bando to be told he must make his first 3 or stop shooting.  Dawson is currently shooting 36% from 3, but if I had to choose between Dawson or Wilhelm or Sam, I would take Wilhelm or Sam all day every day.  Frankly, I am shocked whenever Dawson makes a 3, his free throw form speaks volumes as to his shooting acumen.  

There were times in that game that I also wished we would have gone inside to Walker more.  But we can't do it every play.  PSU started doubling him and Walker has been turning the ball over quite a bit lately.  Walker currently has 6 more turnovers than anyone else on the team (Bando has 43), and Walker didn't even play in the first 5 games.  He needs some space to operate.  If Fred restricted everyone on the team except Keisei and CJ from shooting 3s, then opposing teams would quickly catch on to this and put even more defenders in the paint.  You can't assume that if we shot less 3s that Walker (or anyone else for that matte) would continue to be just as efficient as before, because by not allowing them to shoot 3s the defense is allowed to adjust and play more in the paint.  This is B1G basketball, opposing coaches aren't stupid.

With that said, I do agree that CJ should not force things so much.  He is more a catch and shoot player.  His attempts at playmaking have led to way too many turnovers this season.  

Well if you’re gonna go with all of that,  maybe recruit better shooters?    You can’t just stick to your “philosophy” when you don’t have the players for it.  

Edited by HB

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

For instance, Wilhelm is currently shooting just 23% from 3, but that is the exact same percentage that Bando is shooting.  If Bando had not got injured, I doubt anyone would be wanting Bando to be told he must make his first 3 or stop shooting.  

- I am in the camp Bando should limit his three point shooting.  Sometimes he takes them very early in the shot clock.  We need to keep the ball moving and try to find better shots.

There were times in that game that I also wished we would have gone inside to Walker more.  But we can't do it every play.  PSU started doubling him and Walker has been turning the ball over quite a bit lately.  Walker currently has 6 more turnovers than anyone else on the team (Bando has 43), and Walker didn't even play in the first 5 games.  He needs some space to operate. 

- I understand your point.  However, going inside to Walker doesn’t necessarily mean forcing a shot up.  Derrick had been doing an outstanding job lately passing out of the double team.  He is the one guy on the team I absolutely trust to make a decision.

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

If Fred restricted everyone on the team except Keisei and CJ from shooting 3s, then opposing teams would quickly catch on to this and put even more defenders in the paint.  You can't assume that if we shot less 3s that Walker (or anyone else for that matte) would continue to be just as efficient as before, because by not allowing them to shoot 3s the defense is allowed to adjust and play more in the paint.  This is B1G basketball, opposing coaches aren't stupid.

- The problem with this is coaches aren’t stupid.  If you have bad shooters out there, a good coach will dare that player to shoot. Just because the guy may put the shot up doesn’t mean they are going to focus on him defensively.  They want that player to shoot.  

6 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Kiesei is absolutely good enough to play on the offensive end of the floor. 

Can you give any more context?

KT was called for a foul with 7:54 left in the game. And he pulled the middle finger out on the left side of his leg.

Edited by Bugeaters1

47 minutes ago, HB said:

Well if you’re gonna go with all of that,  maybe recruit better shooters?    You can’t just stick to your “philosophy” when you don’t have to players for it.  

Obviously having better shooters helps.  But it also isn't that simple.  Trevor Lakes absolutely torched the nets for 3 years of college ball at a lower level school.  But in the B1G, he was helpless, both on offense and defense. I imagine Sam Hoiberg could rock in a game of horse shooting 3s, but it's a different animal in games at the B1G level.  Keisei is an elite shooter, he shot over 49% on 3s in two years of junior college ball--but now is shooting 37% in the B1G.  The defenders in this league are taller, quicker, stronger and faster and the coaching is elite.  

Nebraska is currently ranked #234 in number of 3 point attempts per game, so it's not like he is telling his players to fire away at will.   I agree Fred dealt his own hand with recruiting, but he has to play that hand in the most strategic way possible.  If only 2 players ever are allowed to shoot 3s, highly unlikely it would improve the overall scoring because the paint would become a perpetual traffic jam.  No doubt we are all frustrated with the players lack of making 3s, but Griesel and even Wilhelm are decent shooters, and they should have the ability to make 30-35% from 3, which is just enough to keep teams off-balance.  And player confidence is important, if a player thinks a coach is going to yank him the first time he misses a shot, that player will never thrive.  

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

KT was called for a foul with 7:543 left in the game. And he pulled the middle finger out on the left side of his leg.

There were some technical free throws right after that. Was that what it was called for? I thought I saw it was called for a flop warning. I just saw a highlight package and it didn't show it. I'll see if I can find a broadcast tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

There were some technical free throws right after that. Was that what it was called for? I thought I saw it was called for a flop warning. I just saw a highlight package and it didn't show it. I'll see if I can find a broadcast tomorrow.

The T was for a flop.

16 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Wasn't it Carl McPipe who went into the Missouri student section in the late seventies? Also, didn't some of our football team sit behind the Antlers in the 90's to keep them quiet?  I have no gripe with Tominaga. Who knows what the hecklers were saying.  

It was Carl McPipe and Andre Smith at Oklahoma State. Both had fouled out and no one got punished. KU players had a much more significant incident with Missouri fans underneath the basket in 1961. I think Bill Bridges and Wayne Hightower were two of the players. 

Edited by jimmykc

2 hours ago, 49r said:

OMG, y'all are really gonna obsess over this?  Really??

I'm not, The wife was doing a rewatch of the game. when see noticed  KT did the mioddle finger. She asked me if I had seen it, I said no. So I thought I would ask the board if anyone had caught it. Nothing more and nothing less than that to me.  

Edited by Bugeaters1

18 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I'm not, The wife was doing a rewatch of the game. when see noticed  KT did the mioddle finger. She asked me if I had seen it, I said no. So I thought I would ask the board if anyone had caught it. Nothing more and nothing less than that to me.  

I wana see it if someone has the clip. 

Post game notes from UNL

*-Penn State was Nebraska’s 13th game against a Quad 1 or Quad 2 team this season.
*-Derrick Walker finished with a team-high 20 points, his fourth 20-point game of the season. Walker also paced NU with six assists, one shy of his career best
*-Sam Griesel recorded a career-high five steals, the most by a Husker since Wilhelm Breidenbach had five against South Dakota last season.
*-C.J. Wilcher finished with 11 points, his first double-figure effort since Dec. 29
*-Keisei Tominaga had 13 points, his third straight game in double figures and 11th double-figure day of the year.
*-The loss snaps Nebraska’s two-game win streak in State College
*-Denim Dawson finished with a team-high nine rebounds and has had 17 in his two starts this week.
*-Emmanuel Bandoumel played just 6:35 before leaving with a knee injury