unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 20: at Penn State

uneblinstu

Free throws.  Free throws.  Free throws.

Breidenbach cannot be allowed to shoot another 3 the rest of the year.  Total momentum killer.  Just a wasted possession.

Sideshow Bob off the bench canning his 2 3's didn't help.

Both and-1's for Funk in the 1st half and the and-1 foul on Tominaga late in the game were absolute, unfiltered horseshit.

Great effort again after terrible start and losing Bandoumel.  These guys battle til the end - they just can't shoot.

They played about as good as I thought they could have on defense, but didn't score enough. Not really upset 

-Lawrence and Dawson both looked like freshman today, which I should've expected. 8 missed Ft's between the 2 of them. Split those and you have a different game. Both will learn from this, as I did like Lawrence's pressure on the rim and handling on the perimeter. Defenders tested his handle a bit with reaches and he didn't lose it. Just have to finish possessions with FT makes. Dawson wasn't really aggressive attacking the rim, which is needed sometimes. 

-If Bando is out an extended period, I think they'll re-inset CJ to the starting lineup, or WIlhelm. Lawrence will act as the backup lead guard to spell Sam. Wouldn't be upset if he starts to attempt to replicate Bando's defense. 

-Overall team doesn't quit despite being outgunned today. Pickett is a borderline All american and Funk is a 5 year college shooter, both of which showed today. Great effort, had chances to win though.

NW next tuesday (or Wednesday depending on what happens with their in house COVID issues). Defend PBA and get back above .500, which I expect. 

I don't think we ever led in this game.  We came out and got curb stomped; but then settled in and played respectable basketball.  We would crawl back to a basket or two, and then regress.   We could never get over the top.

We are still a team that at best, plays inconsistently.  We look good, then our brains leak and will do a stupid thing or two, or three and fall back.  I guess that is we are young...especially now with Juwan and Bando out.  I don't know, I just don't know.  

We could have won this one by simply making our lay-ups and free throws.  Crap.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Our dismal free throw shooting was courtesy of our freshmen.  Dawson and Lawrence finished 1 - 9.  The rest of the team was a respectable 12 - 15.

Our defense was worn down by the end.  Dawson played 39 minutes.  He played real well on defense in the 1st half.  Did not have the same energy in the 2nd half.  PSU was getting any shot they wanted in the 2nd half.

Wilcher and Keisei combined to go 5 - 12 from 3.  Need to have that if we are without Bandoumel for awhile.  Wilhelm needs to hit open 3's if he is going to take them.

Great effort.  Losing Bandoumel hurt on the defensive end.  I don't think PSU shoots 68.0% with Bandoumel out there.  I don't know if we win, but it sucks to lose him.

Edited by brfrad

I wish the coaching staff would limit what certain players are doing in certain situations.  It drives me nuts when players are allowed to not play to their strengths.  A few examples:

- Wilcher should be very limited in the ball handling department.  He should have the green light on open threes and quick lay ups on back doors.  When the defense recovers on the back door play and he tries work it, nothing good ever happens.  He should be told to immediately get the ball back to the perimeter.  He is a turnover machine so he really should be treated like a catch and shoot player.

- Wilhelm should be allowed one three point shot.  If it goes in, he can try again.  If it looks bad…no more attempts that game.  He hasn’t earned the right to keep firing them up.

- Sam is similar but I’d let him take 2 attempts. If neither drops, same deal as Wilhelm. 

- I have similar feelings towards Gary and Bando on offense except they bring so much to the defensive end I almost feel like you live with it with those two guys.

We really only have two three point shooters that are pretty good.  We are at our best when we let Walker facilitate from the high post.  There were some possessions today where he never touched the ball.  Penn State was weak in the post.  They had nobody that could stop Walker.

This is a team we can beat…we need to get them at home.

6 minutes ago, busticket said:

I wish the coaching staff would limit what certain players are doing in certain situations.  It drives me nuts when players are allowed to not play to their strengths.  A few examples:

- Wilcher should be very limited in the ball handling department.  He should have the green light on open threes and quick lay ups on back doors.  When the defense recovers on the back door play and he tries work it, nothing good ever happens.  He should be told to immediately get the ball back to the perimeter.  He is a turnover machine so he really should be treated like a catch and shoot player.

- Wilhelm should be allowed one three point shot.  If it goes in, he can try again.  If it looks bad…no more attempts that game.  He hasn’t earned the right to keep firing them up.

100%. With as limited as we are offensively, we need to cherish the ball and not waste any possessions. 

5 hours ago, NUtball said:

Free throws.  Free throws.  Free throws.

Breidenbach cannot be allowed to shoot another 3 the rest of the year.  Total momentum killer.  Just a wasted possession.

Sideshow Bob off the bench canning his 2 3's didn't help.

Both and-1's for Funk in the 1st half and the and-1 foul on Tominaga late in the game were absolute, unfiltered horseshit.

Great effort again after terrible start and losing Bandoumel.  These guys battle til the end - they just can't shoot.

Sideshow Bob off the bench canning his 2 3's didn't help.🤣

15 hours ago, busticket said:

- Sam is similar but I’d let him take 2 attempts. If neither drops, same deal as Wilhelm. 

- I have similar feelings towards Gary and Bando on offense except they bring so much to the defensive end I almost feel like you live with it with those two guys.

We really only have two three point shooters that are pretty good.  We are at our best when we let Walker facilitate from the high post.  There were some possessions today where he never touched the ball.  Penn State was weak in the post.  They had nobody that could stop Walker.

This is a team we can beat…we need to get them at home.

HCFH has refused to coach roles and/or hold players accountable to them the entire time he’s been here. What makes you think he’s going to start now?