Injuries in Women's Basketball

Tom Jones

Read this article earlier today.  I guess it didn't surprise me, but it is alarming.  

In football, many linemen wear braces to prevent knee injuries.  Helmets and other protections are constantly designed or redesigned to reduce or prevent injuries.   I hope studies are in the works that could assist in reducing lower extremity injuries.

Do think the playing sports from a very early age can wear out joints, cartilage, etc     Read something while back about the same issues. One doctor pointed out the simple fact that women just don't have the muscle tone, and joint structure of men. Nothing sexist about it, just physiology (sp).... nature created us this way.

Joints are our weak like you might say. 

Way back when...the Iowa girls played 6 player basketball.  Three played offense, 3 on defense.  Archaic as hell...yes.  That said, it outdrew boys basketball.  

But I digress or meandered off my topic.  I remember a halftime hall of fame presentation.   My dad and I noticed the same concern...each and every woman who walked to center court was limping.  Everyone of them.  Why?

54 minutes ago, fred1212 said:

I thought it was because they have wider hips than the boys and their legs and knees operated at a less than optimal angle.

Have heard that too, also read or heard that women are more like to tear their knees up during their menstrual cycle…

Don't know if that is true but I have both to be true or at least a thought…

20 hours ago, fred1212 said:

I thought it was because they have wider hips than the boys and their legs and knees operated at a less than optimal angle.

That's part of it, and I think a lot of trainers try to train them like men, when there could be better ways to do things based on physiological differences.  But that's probably opening up a whole can of worms.