PURDUE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

If we are going to win more games, Jaz has got to change her mind set.  We need her to start thinking about scoring.  She seems to just want to dribble all over the court and look for someone to pass to.  So many times she is in the lane and has a decent shot but she passes it out way too often.  I also agree with some others that Coach Williams needs to get better inbounds plays.  I said this a few years ago about the coach.  We seldom get a good shot on an inbounds play so at least have a safe inbounds play to just get it in.  Good to see Krull thinking more about scoring than just dribbling and passing  to someone else.

Lots to like - in the fourth quarter anyway.  The recurrence of some long standing problems is troubling. High among them: lazy floating passes that are pick off bait for quick and active defenders; failing to execute the last step of rebounding - securing the ball.  Several times, AGAIN, our bigs were reaching for the ball when an opponent with quicker hands and feet stepped right in and grabbed it away.  Perhaps watching film of Cravens' "that ball is mine and you can't have it" effort last year would help. 

1 hour ago, Tom Jones said:

Lots to like - in the fourth quarter anyway.  The recurrence of some long standing problems is troubling. High among them: lazy floating passes that are pick off bait for quick and active defenders; failing to execute the last step of rebounding - securing the ball.  Several times, AGAIN, our bigs were reaching for the ball when an opponent with quicker hands and feet stepped right in and grabbed it away.  Perhaps watching film of Cravens' "that ball is mine and you can't have it" effort last year would help. 

As has been stated by others, we have missed Bella’s inside presence this season more than anyone realized we would when she left 

1 hour ago, Tom Jones said:

Lots to like - in the fourth quarter anyway.  The recurrence of some long standing problems is troubling. High among them: lazy floating passes that are pick off bait for quick and active defenders.

Agree.  Passing, leading to turnovers, is concerning.  Have to admit, we are better now, than some of the Whitish years.  Baby steps?  

Another thought.  The game looked sloppy.  How much did the officials have to do with that?  They were so inconsistent on how the game was called.  For a time, you could clobber someone, and no whistle.  Then other times, breathe on someone, and a foul was called.  (Not to mention, the many calls they flat out got wrong).

I was impressed on how well our ladies kept their composure.  The 4th quarter was a gem.   

Edited by 12dozen

gonna have to watch the rerun, however, in that 4th quarter (around that 7-8 minute mark?) i saw a camera shot that showed a look on Alex M's face haven't seen in awhile. it gave me the feeling that the rest of this game is gonna go through Alex---win or lose. it was on her shoulders. just a huge, huge effort by Alex. 

agree with many of you...........when is the last time huskers got a layup or a real short jumper off a throw-in from the baseline??? those lob passes into the back court drive me crazy. 

anyway, just a really big win that the huskers had to have. 

On 1/20/2023 at 4:49 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

gonna have to watch the rerun, however, in that 4th quarter (around that 7-8 minute mark?) i saw a camera shot that showed a look on Alex M's face haven't seen in awhile. it gave me the feeling that the rest of this game is gonna go through Alex---win or lose. it was on her shoulders. just a huge, huge effort by Alex. 

agree with many of you...........when is the last time huskers got a layup or a real short jumper off a throw-in from the baseline??? those lob passes into the back court drive me crazy. 

anyway, just a really big win that the huskers had to have. 

Through my eyes, Alex M is our main stud.  She has been giving tremendous effort.  Hopefully, as the season progresses, MM will provide more relief and assistance.  This Purdue game, I was reminded, Maggie is very young, and does not have a lot of bball practice under her belt.  Potential?  You bet.  The sky is the limit.