OHIO STATE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Ho hum.  Just another game surrendered in the first 5 minutes.  Whatever the pregame ritual is, it needs some serious adjustment.  Nebraska, when not completely stuck in the mud, looked completely lost and uninterested in the 1st quarter.  You're not going to win many games digging a double-digit hole in the first quarter, let alone against a top-5 team.  The consistency of not being ready to play is a huge, huge problem for this team.

Played them even the rest of the way.  Completely dominated the first 8 minutes of the 3rd quarter, but missed FTs and layups allowed the suckeyes to win the quarter by 2 points.  Get it to 4 or 5 points going into the 4th, you might have a shot.

Career day by their tank certainly didn't help.  Whatever she threw up was going in, but very few of her shots were contested in any way.

12 minutes ago, HUD said:

We need more minutes for Maggie M. and less for Anika S. and Kendall Coley.

I’ve always considered Stewart to be a liability on the defensive end but at least she was a good outside shooter. Although lately, she’s in a shooting slump, so…yep, I’d agree with you.

As for Coley, see my previous comments in this thread. I’m truly mystified as to why she isn’t producing more offensively and defensively. Lack of player development? If so, then isn’t that an indictment of this coaching staff?

First quarter killed us, I darn near turned the channel.  We win the other 3 quarters by 4 points or so.  Why can't we start games on fire?  Instead, I see us driving into traffic, chucking up a shot that oftentimes doesn't hit the rim.  What are we doing?

Also, JS couldn't get going in this game, which could be why we started so slowly.  SH was trying, but her shots weren't falling early.  And, of course, everything OSU chucked up went in, so that didn't help.  But there were a number of times where we didn't have a defender anywhere near their shooter early in the game, making it easy on them.

If we could wipe out the first 5 minutes of the game, we might win this.  

One other thing, and this is for people that go to the games:  Has there been a drop-off in the camaraderie on the bench that we were used to seeing last year?  

Edited by huskerchode

4 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

First quarter killed us, I darn near turned the channel.  We win the other 3 quarters by 4 points or so.  Why can't we start games on fire?  Instead, I see us driving into traffic, chucking up a shot that oftentimes doesn't hit the rim.  What are we doing?

Also, JS couldn't get going in this game, which could be why we started so slowly.  SH was trying, but her shots weren't falling early.  And, of course, everything OSU chucked up went in, so that didn't help.  But there were a number of times where we didn't have a defender anywhere near their shooter early in the game, making it easy on them.

One other thing, and this is for people that go to the games:  Has there been a drop-off in the camaraderie on the bench that we were used to seeing last year?  

Whitney Brown might have been the leader there.

1 hour ago, HUD said:

We need more minutes for Maggie M. and less for Anika S. and Kendall Coley.

I only looked at the last 5 games, but Kendall Coley has had the fewest minutes played, in each of them. Not sure you'll find many minutes there, to give to Maggie.  My guess, when MM has a better grasp of the system, her assignments, her minutes will increase.

1 hour ago, Neb Nets said:

I’ve always considered Stewart to be a liability on the defensive end but at least she was a good outside shooter. Although lately, she’s in a shooting slump.

In the last eight games she is 3 for 24 (12.5%) in shooting threes.  

Edited by HUD
addition

Agree on Stewart, her offense has been non existent for some time. Think part of Coley’s problem is she has spent too much time playing out if position and it has slowed her growth as a player. Hate to say this but I would not start Krull. She adds nothing on the offensive side for us. I would start Hake in her place.

14 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Agree on Stewart, her offense has been non existent for some time. Think part of Coley’s problem is she has spent too much time playing out if position and it has slowed her growth as a player. Hate to say this but I would not start Krull. She adds nothing on the offensive side for us. I would start Hake in her place.

I agree about starting Hake.  We need to have better offensive production at the beginning of the game.  

Interesting game!  Positives included 12 NE turnovers to OS's  18; NE steals of 11 to their 6; and NE rebounds of 21 offensive and 18 defensive (39 total) to their 10 and 30 (40 total).  Meanwhile, NE had 76 shots and made 28 for 36.8%;  while OS shot only 56 and made 29 for 51.8%.   So NE shot 20 more shots and lost by 9 points.  Meanwhile, Williams called a time out in the first quarter and then not again until there was 2:45 left in the game and NE behind by 16 points!    What kind of a coach does not try to effectively use timeouts to try to inspire the team or give them ideas on plays to run!!! (or if nothing else to give them a breather!!!!)    As mentioned elsewhere, the coach does not have the team tuned in and ready to go at the start of games so we are working out of a hole from the get go!!

7 hours ago, huskerchode said:

image.png

https://twitter.com/Abby_Barmore/status/1614378520016465920?s=20&t=JZHrnqPmUyWBqmZRlwzQiA

Been said already but....

Watched the game again on BTN+.......

The difference in the 1st qtr was we just didn't make the shots and they did. They got a fast start and we shot poorly. After 1stt qtr, it was a battle fought pretty evenly.

On to the next one.... GBR

Edited by redsteve

29 minutes ago, HUD said:

That's where we really miss Allison.  She was the one that usually got us going early.  Both on defense and offense with great hustle.

OSU had too many shots early in the game where they were wide open, either under the basket or at the 3 point line.  We certainly do miss AW.  When your shots aren't falling, you step it up on defense (or at least that's what I was always told).  

I don't understand why so many of our shots under the basket were complete misses, sometimes not even touching the rim.  I realize there was contact on some of them, but, still, I expect to see a better percentage there.

This team needs to start the game with a nasty attitude on defense.  Try to keep the other team from scoring on their first 3 possessions, or something like that.  And stop trying to pass the ball through two defenders.

Let's start with the elephant in the room.  Starting slow has been a problem basically all year.  Adding to the slow start, if we are being perfectly honest OSU does have the best set of guards in the league and we were without our best defending guard in Miss Weidner.

Get past that and it's pretty much all positive.

1. Sam looked like Sam again while driving the ball

2. Miss Haake is really starting to shine

3. AM in my opinion won the post game

4. Despite the poor start and playing without our best defender, we pushed the number 3 team in the country until the end of the game

I noticed in todays LJS, the OSU coached mentioned not pressing as much as normal.  He said, they have been riding the kids hard lately, and wanted to rest their legs in this game.  (something like that)   Not sure if he's being honest or not.  Seemed to me, they were getting after it.