unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 17: Illinois

cornfed24-7

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Hate to say it but I think this is where the wheels start to fall off. I don't see anything better than 3-7 or 2-8 in our next 10 games. 

That's what I'm afraid of. And if we lose Gary -- which, I mean, given what we saw last night, could happen -- it could be cataclysmic. Apocalyptic, even.

I've been thinking a strong year, culminating in any kind of post-season bid, might give us the momentum we needed to be able to sell portal transfers on the idea of coming here to play for a program on the upswing.

If we crap the bed again, that will be a difficult concept to sell to anyone.

Fred might have earned an extra year, given the clear improvements made within the program.

However, I *fear* that an extra year would just be delaying the inevitable because, unless we hit the jackpot in the portal, we once again just won't have the horses to compete.

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Fred might have earned an extra year, given the clear improvements made within the program.

However, I *fear* that an extra year would just be delaying the inevitable because, unless we hit the jackpot in the portal, we once again just won't have the horses to compete.

Very much agree with this take.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's what I'm afraid of. And if we lose Gary -- which, I mean, given what we saw last night, could happen -- it could be cataclysmic. Apocalyptic, even.

I've been thinking a strong year, culminating in any kind of post-season bid, might give us the momentum we needed to be able to sell portal transfers on the idea of coming here to play for a program on the upswing.

If losing Gary is apocalpytic, we'll have at least 4 horses to compete. 

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I was on record being opposed to firing Tim Miles.

Who wins an NCAA tourney game first: Nebraska?; or whichever team Tim Miles is coaching?

Let's not go down the Tim revisionist history.  Its really easy now to look back when at the current time it was the right decision.

11 hours ago, hskr4life said:

This was part of the reason I asked how the fan turnout was last night.  This was a huge game and a few pictures I saw was spare 200 and even worse in 300 with multiple gaps in the 100.  Could have just been when the picture was taken.

We’ve been like top 20 in fan attendance for the past x number of years right?  Will that hold up this year?

They always go by tickets sold not actuall so we'll see

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Agreed.  Who comimg back next year is a true starter in this league that is a difference maker?  Gary?  Two RS freshmen or 2 current freshmen? 2 players at least leave and need to find many portal players which then again is the cycle of the team gelling.  I just dont see it working unless this team finishes strong which Trev really wants to happen.

4 minutes ago, Craytonhater said:

Let's not go down the Tim revisionist history.  Its really easy now to look back when at the current time it was the right decision.

I think you could have made a case either way for Tim actually.  You’re talking one of the only coaches to take us to the dance, multiple post seasons, had Cope not gone down a high likelihood of making a 2nd dance.

Now, you could say we should have done better too.  Which is why I say you could have went either way.  But

lets not act like there wasn’t reason to keep Tim as our coach.

23 minutes ago, Craytonhater said:

Not to be argumentative,  but not everyone agrees it was the right thing.  His legs were cut from beneath him prior to his final year...just saying.

That said, I drooled like a teething 2 year old when Fred was hired.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I think you could have made a case either way for Tim actually.  You’re talking one of the only coaches to take us to the dance, multiple post seasons, had Cope not gone down a high likelihood of making a 2nd dance.

Now, you could say we should have done better too.  Which is why I say you could have went either way.  But

lets not act like there wasn’t reason to keep Tim as our coach.

Just saying 5 out of 7 years in bottom four.  No way at the time if you could get Fred would you keep Tim

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Not to be argumentative,  but not everyone agrees it was the right thing.  His legs were cut from beneath him prior to his final year...just saying.

That said, I drooled like a teething 2 year old when Fred was hired.

Agreed on Fred.  I liked Tim and wanted him to succeed, but recruiting slipped, lots of turnover on staff, and hit his ceiling.  I wasnt excited for team he would have had if he came back.  It may have just been 1 more year with him anyways.

8 hours ago, Craytonhater said:

Agreed on Fred.  I liked Tim and wanted him to succeed, but recruiting slipped, lots of turnover on staff, and hit his ceiling.  I wasnt excited for team he would have had if he came back.  It may have just been 1 more year with him anyways.

Sounda eerily similar to where this year could head.

10 hours ago, Craytonhater said:

They always go by tickets sold not actuall so we'll see

Most teams go by tickets sold.

During the Lee B. era when the Devaney was a ghost town he beat up the athletic department so much that they would post actual attendance in the box score alongside paid. Believe they reset to just paid during the covid year

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Tim Miles was on the record about choosing Hoiberg over him at the end

I think his actual quote was "If Fred Hoiberg wants this job, he can probably have it." And I think the context was people were questioning his job security, and I think he was aware of the back-channel discussions. It wasn't a huge secret. I think his point was, "They're not going to keep me around if Fred Hoiberg wants the job."

30 minutes ago, Craytonhater said:

You said you were opposed to firing him because of a defestist attitude of who are we gonna get that is better.  The hire of Fred at the time was more promising then then Barry or Doc as head coaches.

Can't speak for Norm, but I'm sure that there are a few others in this board that share these two thoughts.

Sure, at the time Hoiberg > Miles. Looked like a great hire.

Miles was sand bagged by the administration. Not adding more years to his contract looks even more ridiculous today. At a time when length of contract mattered for recruiting.

You start Miles and Hoiberg from the point where the Huskers are today. Pfft Miles has the Huskers in the tournament before Hoiberg does. 

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Can't speak for Norm, but I'm sure that there are a few others in this board that share these two thoughts.

Sure, at the time Hoiberg > Miles. Looked like a great hire.

Miles was sand bagged by the administration. Not adding more years to his contract looks even more ridiculous today. At a time when length of contract mattered for recruiting.

You start Miles and Hoiberg from the point where the Huskers are today. Pfft Miles has the Huskers in the tournament before Hoiberg does. 

I do think it would have been interesting to see what Miles could have done on the recruiting trail with his personality, history AND some NIL money to throw around.

Edited by hskr4life