Illinois (10-5) vs. Nebraska (9-7) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

1 minute ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Sitting here at PBA is what I was worried about with this team. Is that if a team gets hit against how we run our D we can get run out of the gym some nights. Like tonight also women behind me with the two nose rings just said we paid for this shit show. Guess she isn’t wrong

Obviously they haven’t attended a game in years… because we’ve paid for a lot of em.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

KT would be such a good role player on a decent team.  Sometimes we just need him to do too much for us.  He does a lot of good things.

I think a big part of it is not even being on a better team, but having just one ONE other shooter on the floor would help his game exponentialy

Just now, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Well fellas. Hope the guys can wash this out of their system quick. Can’t nope and hang their heads. From the refs to our lack of defense to our lack of hustle to our one on one hero forcing the ball, this one was UGLY

Unfortunately our “get right” games are Purdue and OSU.  It’s about to get ugly.

22 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Illinois is better than many of you here are giving them credit.  Do you really think we can pull this out without Gary for an entire half.  If we keep battling that is a positive.

But if they were missing those threes it would be a different situation. But that is why some times you just let the young ‘ ns go

Just now, hskr4life said:

Nebrasketballs like a bad stock that you invested in years ago.  It’s too late for you to get out now, so you’ve stayed in it hoping that it’ll moon.  There’s been some ups ever now and then when the market was hot, but overall it’s been and continues to be a slow drain.

I'd say it's sunk cost, but we all watched the game tonight...they couldn't sink anything.

5 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Well fellas. Hope the guys can wash this out of their system quick. Can’t nope and hang their heads. From the refs to our lack of defense to our lack of hustle to our one on one hero forcing the ball, this one was UGLY

The defense was no different than against Creighton, Iowa, or Purdue.  Illinois couldn't miss at times.  I did not like the body language tonight.  It felt like when they made shots, our heads kind of sank.  I haven't seen that much this year.

Illinois is by far the most talented team, especially when they move the ball like they did tonight.  

8 minutes ago, brfrad said:

The defense was no different than against Creighton, Iowa, or Purdue.  Illinois couldn't miss at times.  I did not like the body language tonight.  It felt like when they made shots, our heads kind of sank.  I haven't seen that much this year.

Illinois is by far the most talented team, especially when they move the ball like they did tonight.  

Well, maybe, but personnel wise we weren’t in tonight’s foul trouble against those three teams. So, the defense may have been the same but personnel was much different- Bandoumel and Walker sitting a lot of the first half and then no Gary most of the second…

4 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Well, maybe, but personnel wise we weren’t in tonight’s foul trouble against those three teams. So, the defense may have been the same but personnel was much different- Bandoumel and Walker sitting a lot of the first half and then no Gary most of the second…

I was just thinking they had the same amount of open shots as those teams.  The stat that is the most surprising was they were 8 - 29 from 3.  It did not feel like they shot that poorly.

3 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I was just thinking they had the same amount of open shots as those teams.  The stat that is the most surprising was they were 8 - 29 from 3.  It did not feel like they shot that poorly.

Their threes came at terrible times for us and seems to be grouped together:  they’d do like 3-4 and then miss their next 10.

It also doesn’t help when you give up 13 O boards.

I am not a Sky is falling pessimist about the team as they have already done more than I thought possible.  Illinois is a good team and the matchup was not favorable for us.  Hawkins and Mayer gave them two 6’8 wings that we couldn’t handle and Shannon is a good player.  Mayer and Shannon have Final Four experience.  

The loss of Gary really makes it difficult to rebound at both ends.  Dawson has much to learn and isn’t an offensive threat.  Could be ugly Friday night in Mackey.