Illinois (10-5) vs. Nebraska (9-7) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

9 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I was a Senior in high school when this song was released. enjoy!!!

I know everyone has different tastes.  I'm the only one in our house that likes pickled herring. I know, right? Who are these heathens? Having said that, every time a Boston song comes on the radio, I hit the button.  Never have liked them, even though millions of people disagree with me.  Even though disco ruled the mid to late 1970's, there was some great rock and roll then. A song from my senior year...

6 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I know everyone has different tastes.  I'm the only one in our house that likes pickled herring. I know, right? Who are these heathens? Having said that, every time a Boston song comes on the radio, I hit the button.  Never have liked them, even though millions of people disagree with me.  Even though disco ruled the mid to late 1970's, there was some great rock and roll then. A song from my senior year...

How about this one Cip? it is also from my senior year.

Is this the biggest game of the Hoiberg era?

We're currently sitting at 2-3 and this game offers the chance to be 3-3 with our game @Purdue looming.  For the first time since the Tim Miles era, we actually have a semi-realistic path to an NCAA tournament.  I'm thinking we probably need to find 9 more wins.  While 9-6 in this conference certainly isn't easy, it's not completely "out there" either.

More than that though-- on a good day, we have shown that we can play with anyone in the conference.  Especially with our full staff of available players.  We should be at full strength tonight.  Can we get it done?  Can we turn a corner in this Fred Hoiberg era?

For the first time in a long time.  I'm excited about a game-- I've got some nerves.  I'm not dreading another schlaking at the hands of the Big 10.  We COULD do it.  Will we?  We'll find out in about 10 hours.

28 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

We're currently sitting at 2-3 and this game offers the chance to be 3-3 with our game @Purdue looming.  For the first time since the Tim Miles era, we actually have a semi-realistic path to an NCAA tournament.  I'm thinking we probably need to find 9 more wins.  While 9-6 in this conference certainly isn't easy, it's not completely "out there" either.

More than that though-- on a good day, we have shown that we can play with anyone in the conference.  Especially with our full staff of available players.  We should be at full strength tonight.  Can we get it done?  Can we turn a corner in this Fred Hoiberg era?

For the first time in a long time.  I'm excited about a game-- I've got some nerves.  I'm not dreading another schlaking at the hands of the Big 10.  We COULD do it.  Will we?  We'll find out in about 10 hours.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

It's isn't the biggest but it certainly can tip the scales on what happens the rest of this season and possible making post season.  Here is what we have left and honest prediction on outcome

Illinois - Win (10-7)

@ Purdue - Loss (10-8)

Ohio State - Loss (10-9)

@ Penn State - Win (11-9)

Northwestern - Loss (11-10)

@ Maryland - Win (12-10)

@ Illinois - Loss (12-11)

Penn State - Win (13-11)

@ Michigan - Loss (13-12)

Wisconsin - Win (14-12)

@ Rutgers - Loss (14-13)

Maryland - Win (15-13)

Minnesota - Win (16-13)

Michigan State - Win (17-14)

@ Iowa - Loss (17-15)

That potentially could get us in NIT but if we can just flip 2 of those losses to wins, we finish at 19-13 and with a few wins in Big 10 tournament, we are a NCAA bubble team.  So every game is extremely important the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

It's isn't the biggest but it certainly can tip the scales on what happens the rest of this season and possible making post season.  Here is what we have left and honest prediction on outcome

Illinois - Win (10-7)

@ Purdue - Loss (10-8)

Ohio State - Loss (10-9)

@ Penn State - Win (11-9)

Northwestern - Loss (11-10)

@ Maryland - Win (12-10)

@ Illinois - Loss (12-11)

Penn State - Win (13-11)

@ Michigan - Loss (13-12)

Wisconsin - Win (14-12)

@ Rutgers - Loss (14-13)

Maryland - Win (15-13)

Minnesota - Win (16-13)

Michigan State - Win (17-14)

@ Iowa - Loss (17-15)

That potentially could get us in NIT but if we can just flip 2 of those losses to wins, we finish at 19-13 and with a few wins in Big 10 tournament, we are a NCAA bubble team.  So every game is extremely important the rest of the season.

If we finish the regular season 19-12 (12-8 in conference) and win A FEW in the B1G tourney, our NET ranking will be reallyyy good, SOS will be top 20, maybe top 10, and we’ll be nowhere near the bubble. Would probably be around a 7 seed. A few wins in the B1G tourney might even mean an automatic bid, as 12-8 may be good enough for a top 4 seed this year. I think 19-12 regular season gets an at-large bid, regardless of B1G tourney. 18-13 will be cutting it close.

I agree, every game is now important. Just like the 2013-14 season - we were 8-8 (0-4) at this point that year! 
This team’s non-con resume will be much better than 13-14 team. 

Pretty much need to win out at home now and steal 1-2 on the road. 

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

19 wins and we’re in no matter what happens in the tourney.  18 and 0-1 in the tourney is bubble territory.

You guys scare me...as in putting the cart before the horse.  Nothing in our history should provide us that ability for wishful thinking.  Again, I would love nothing more than to place my rose-colored glasses back on; but we cannot afford to think beyond the next game.  Think KSU.  Think MSU.  Think St. John's.  

We cannot think beyond the game in front of us.  Can we beat Illinois?  Can we come out and out hustle, out physical and out play them and earn a win.  Then, and only then, can we worry about the next game on the schedule.  We shall see, game time is a bit over two hours away.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

You guys scare me...as in putting the cart before the horse.  Nothing in our history should provide us that ability for wishful thinking.  Again, I would love nothing more than to place my rose-colored glasses back on; but we cannot afford to think beyond the next game.  Think KSU.  Think MSU.  Think St. John's.  

We cannot think beyond the game in front of us.  Can we beat Illinois?  Can we come out and out hustle, out physical and out play them and earn a win.  Then, and only then, can we worry about the next game on the schedule.  We shall see, game time is a bit over two hours away.

Well I sure hope the team isn't looking past Illinois, but I can assure you us fans thinking beyond the next game will have no effect on the outcome of this game tonight. Part of the fun of being a college basketball fan is calculating what it'll take for your team to make the big dance and keeping track throughout the season. Been doing it my whole life, even as a die hard Nebrasketball fan. The past three years, and the majority of Miles' years, we didn't have that opportunity. So I'll have fun with it while it lasts, even if heartbreak will soon follow. 

Edited by millerhusker

12 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Well I sure hope the team isn't looking past Illinois, but I can assure you us fans thinking beyond the next game will have no effect on the outcome of this game tonight. Part of the fun of being a college basketball fan is calculating what it'll take for your team to make the big dance and keeping track throughout the season. Been doing it my whole life, even as a die hard Nebrasketball fan. The past three years, and the majority of Miles' years, we didn't have that opportunity. So I'll have fun with it while it lasts, even if heartbreak will soon follow. 

To add onto this, I don’t even think fans are that serious about it.  I know I’m not.  The odds of us reaching even 13-15 wins are long.

48 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

To add onto this, I don’t even think fans are that serious about it.  I know I’m not.  The odds of us reaching even 13-15 wins are long.

Yeah at this point its just nice to be able to continue to have these hypothetical post season message board conversations instead of having all hope removed and having the hypothetical who's the next coach gonna be message board conversations. 

8 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Yeah at this point its just nice to be able to continue to have these hypothetical post season message board conversations instead of having all hope removed and having the hypothetical who's the next coach gonna be message board conversations. 

It has been a while… and unfortunately we’ve not had many of these convos with football or baseball either in the past few years.  Just our one nice year that ended in Arkansas.