Are We Where We Thought We'd Be? (PBA Edition)

HuskerFever

Are We Where We Thought We'd Be? (PBA Edition)  

55 members have voted

1. 1. In our first ten years at Pinnacle Bank Arena, we have:

• Significantly Exceeded Expectations
    • Exceeded Expectations
    • Matched Expectations
    • Underperformed Expectations
    • Significantly Underperformed Expectations

Believe it or not, the year is 2023. We have now rounded the corner and are about to wrap up our tenth season in Pinnacle Bank Arena. Given this key milestone, let's take a moment to reflect.

First Exhibition: November 4, 2013

Opening Night: November 8, 2013

Recap: https://huskers.com/news/2013/11/8/209302115.aspx

Roster: https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2013-14

Historical Home Game PBA Performance:

2013-14: 15-1 (8-1)

2014-15: 10-6 (5-4)

2015-16: 10-8 (3-6)

2016-17: 8-8 (3-6)

2017-18: 16-1 (9-0)

2018-19: 13-5 (5-5), 1-0 at home in NIT

2019-20: 5-11 (2-8)

2020-21: 6-9 (2-7)

2021-22: 7-12 (1-10)

2022-23: 6-1 (1-1)

Total Home Record: 96-62 (39-48)

Home Record Pct: 60.8% (44.8%)

NCAA Attendance:

2013-14: #13 in the nation; 15,419 (16 games: 246,702)

2014-15: #10 in the nation; 15,569 (16 games: 249,101)

2015-16: #11 in the nation; 15,429 (18 games: 277,739)

2016-17: #11 in the nation; 15,427 (16 games: 246,832)

2017-18: #11 in the nation; 15,492 (17 games: 263,367)
2018-19: #10 in the nation; 15,341 (18 games: 276,143)

2019-20: #11 in the nation; 15,605 (16 games: 249,677)
2020-21: No attendance at NCAA games (COVID)

2021-22: #10 in the nation; 15,283 (19 games: 290,371)

2022-23: TBD

Total Attendance: 2,099,932 (136 games, excl. 2020); 15,441 average attendance

You know what they say: Time flies when you're having fun...or drinking NyQuil. Either way, let's reflect upon these last ten years.

Back in 2013, where did you expect this program to be? Have they exceeded, matched, or underperformed versus where you thought we'd be today?

If by "we" you mean the fans, then we have met and oftentime exceeded expectations.

If by "we" you are referring to the team, then we have met expectations perhaps two of the years,  but underperformed about six of the years and grossly underperformed about two of the years.  😉 

Edited by Huskerpapa

I took it as how had Nebrasketball done.  Disappointing there.  Fans though.  Amazing.  Top 10 attendance for a bottom 10 Power Conference team most years.

Fan Attendance: A (Self-Explanatory)
W/L Record: C- (B- for Miles) (D- for Fred)

Amenities: C (Started ok, been rough the past two years.  Added beer!)

Parking: B (Cold walk, especially if you don’t have Garage access)

Intimidation Factor: B (A+ when we’re having success)

Edited by hskr4life

We have a beautiful arena in a great locale.  Unfortunately, bricks and mortar don’t mean success.  I misread the statement and put the wrong response.  We have not met expectations as a program with the facilities but this year’s team has exceeded my expectations.

Something does need to be done about concessions and the exit process from the arena.

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

Would be nice if it didn't have the massive black hole known as the Post Office right next to it, but yeah.  The whole Haymarket has been transformed by this development.

I heard a rumor that the post office could possibly be relocated, the building razed and replaced by a convention center.  Not sure if that is a person's wishful thinking or whether there is some meat on that bone.

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I heard a rumor that the post office could possibly be relocated, the building razed and replaced by a convention center.  Not sure if that is a person's wishful thinking or whether there is some meat on that bone.

That would be appropriate I think.  Wonder if there is enough hotel rooms nearby to support that though?

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

That was being looked at a few years ago but after they did an evaluation of the Omaha convention center, the plans have been put on hold.  

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

That was being looked at a few years ago but after they did an evaluation of the Omaha convention center, the plans have been put on hold.  

yup I got a call last year wanting to know about my thoughs of a convention center and locations since we had a convention here for 80 years before leaving for Kearney.  the locations were 1. Next to the Arena (I'm guessing Post Office). 2. the upcoming expansion to the Haymarket with Haymarket South or what ever they are calling it.  I said no as it would require people to lose their home...and it has pissed me off when Bryan expands and knocks down peoples homes. 3. the lot where the former US Bank Drive through is on 13th and L. 4. Somewhere out by I80. 

54 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

yup I got a call last year wanting to know about my thoughs of a convention center and locations since we had a convention here for 80 years before leaving for Kearney.  the locations were 1. Next to the Arena (I'm guessing Post Office). 2. the upcoming expansion to the Haymarket with Haymarket South or what ever they are calling it.  I said no as it would require people to lose their home...and it has pissed me off when Bryan expands and knocks down peoples homes. 3. the lot where the former US Bank Drive through is on 13th and L. 4. Somewhere out by I80. 

Kearney has a nice set up with their convention center.

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Kearney has a nice set up with their convention center.

Yup.  LCVB has asked when and if we are coming back.  Have just said not in the near future.  We have already moved to the brand new place at the Crowne Plaza.  Our last two years were at the Lancaster Event Center.  Our vendors didn't like it in the least.  We are now selling out our trade show in Kearney. 

11 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

God they. Don't need to elimate alcohol sales at any stands. They just need to open more stands.  That alone will take away all the pressure.  How is that so difficult to grasp. 

From my understanding-- they are are going to eliminate alcohol at some stands so that they can in turn hire people under 19 to work those specific stands.  I read it as "we're struggling to get people 19+ to apply for these jobs, so in order to hire people under 19, we're going to have to shut down alcohol at some stands."  If we want more stands open, we'll have to open some stands without alcohol so that those under 19 can work them.

17 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

From my understanding-- they are are going to eliminate alcohol at some stands so that they can in turn hire people under 19 to work those specific stands.  I read it as "we're struggling to get people 19+ to apply for these jobs, so in order to hire people under 19, we're going to have to shut down alcohol at some stands."  If we want more stands open, we'll have to open some stands without alcohol so that those under 19 can work them.

Ah ok..going to be interesting seeing how they handle it when they start hosting all the concerts this spring.

As someone who has been a spectator in the stands, a person on the floor and in the locker rooms I do like PBA.  It's location is great and it has really helped the downtown area.  It is a great arena.  With that being said, if it came down to just watching a game in the stands or on the floor, (and the food) I still like Devaney better.  Now Devaney would of course be another 10 years older as a basketball facility, but there was just something about watching the Huskers and state high school games there.  Maybe it is just nostalgia but I loved Devaney.