unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 16: at Minnesota

uneblinstu

36 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Hoiberg's losing streaks at Nebraska:

2019-2020: 2, 3, 17

2020-2021: 2, 9, 5, 3

2021-2022: 5, 10, 4

2022-2023: 2, 3, ...

I don't foresee us hitting those 9, 10, 17 types of losing streaks this season. This team is built different.

Longest losing streak we can have is.... 16.  We've officially eliminated the chance at a 17 game losing streak yesterday!  Let's beat those 20-21 and 21-22 numbers now!

Nebraska Postgame Notes. 

• Nebraska snapped a six-game losing streak in overtime games dating back to the 2019-20 season. 
  • The win marked Nebraska's first OT road win since a 87-82 win at Colorado on Feb. 17, 2001
  • the win was NU's third straight in the series against Minnesota, matching Nebraska's longest win streak in the series. 
  • Nebraska has now won four of its last six Big Ten road games dating back to last season. 
  • The win was Nebraska's first in Williams Arena since 2018.  Prior to today, the home team had won 15 of the last 16 meetings in the series. 
  • Derrick Walker tied a career high with 22 points, matching his total against Creighton on Dec 4. It was his third career 20-point game, all coming in 2022-23
  • Walker also finished with a career high seven assists, topping his previous best of six set on two other occasions.   
  • Juwan Gary finished with a season high 18 points (previous high was 17 vs. UAPB). It was one point shy of his career high set twice last season when he played at Alabama. 
  • Nebraska shot 50.8 percent from the field, the sixth time Nebraska shot at least 50 percent this season. 
  • Nebraska's 81 points is its highest total since scoring 88 against Boston College on Nov. 30
  • Nebraska went 16-21 from the foul line, the sixth time in the last seven games that Nebraska shot 70 percent or better from the foul line. 

One guy who I really believe has surpassed expectations is Gary.  I remember when he transferred and everyone was a bit confused on it, thinking if he could give us anything other than rebounding and defense but offensively I was expecting him to be so good around the rim or even crazier as good from deep as he has been.  Love how he is like the 3rd or 4th option on this team but demands attention from the defense because when they take their eyes off him it always seems like he’s draining a 3 or getting an offensive putback.  The one missing piece on this gram right now is getting Witcher/tominaga or both red hot from behind the line.

35 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

The one missing piece on this gram right now is getting Witcher/tominaga or both red hot from behind the line.

Have noticed that teams have been playing Keisei realllllly tight and not letting him get open for anything.  It's created some openness for others, but if you take that part of Keisei's game away, it really hurts his production.

20 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Have noticed that teams have been playing Keisei realllllly tight and not letting him get open for anything.  It's created some openness for others, but if you take that part of Keisei's game away, it really hurts his production.

If you were playing Nebraska, would you let him get any open shots?  I'm sure that on every scouting report it guard him closely all over the court.

37 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Oh I totally agree, I’m just pointing out the obvious.  Those guys start consistently hitting from behind the arc and we’re going to hit another level offensively and should open up the puck and roll/iso game even more when they have to leave the lane defensively. 

13 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Absolutely loving this no commercials with mic'd up coaches broadcast

They have done that with a few other games this year.  It is pretty cool to hear how the coaches interact with the players and ref's and what they say in team huddles.  Of course, they know they are mic'd up so guessing they keep what they say more PG rated as opposed to when they aren't wearing a mic