unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 16: at Minnesota

uneblinstu

Felt like we made that outcome much harder than we needed to, as seemed like we were clearly the better team over the final 20 / 25 minutes. But nice to see the guys gut it out.

It's a win we just had to have. Tough to see a reasonable path to the postseason without winning this one.

Much better rhythm offensively today - DW was far more decisive and aware of teammates. Everything on offense feels better when FTs are going in, too.

Gary getting those putbacks late in regulation and late in OT were huge. That's the kind of S#&@ that usually happens to us, so nice to have the shoe on the other foot for a change.

Hope nobody bet the minus-3.5. Bad beat, especially when we should've probably covered both in regulation and in OT.

It'll be nice to be home Tuesday - time to go get another one.

All big ten wins are good wins. All big ten road wins are really good wins.

Loved the heart, effort, and mental toughness. A lot to clean up, made some dumb plays, and forgot to box out a few times. That being said, winning is a skill, and we had some huge free throw makes in overtime to put the game away.

GBR, let’s get the place rocking on Tuesday.

Illinois with a tough one against Wisco today.  They are currently up,  but barely.  If they lose, they’ll be coming to PBA at 0-4 and a win over them would put us 2.5 games ahead. Safe to say that’s a big one for us.

Great to win today.  A lose kills our post season chances.  A win, while it doesn’t push us over the edge, puts a tally in the  W column which we really needed.

Glad we pulled out a much needed victory.  I wish we would have played straight up man defense at the end of regulation but we wound up giving up a three.  Minnesota was prepared for our double teams and moved the ball crisply to get open looks.   Improved FT shooting saved us today plus Gary’s follow shots were critical.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Illinois with a tough one against Wisco today.  They are currently up,  but barely.  If they lose, they’ll be coming to PBA at 0-4 and a win over them would put us 2.5 games ahead. Safe to say that’s a big one for us.

Great to win today.  A lose kills our post season chances.  A win, while it doesn’t push us over the edge, puts a tally in the  W column which we really needed.

Need to hold serve at home, but that one worries me. They aren’t playing well right now for whatever reason but their top 7 guys are as talented as anyone. Beat UCLA on a neutral court and beat texas in Austin. They are capable of getting hot and making 15 threes. 

Strange game.  2 offensively challenged teams making around 50% of their shots in a pretty physical game.  Goofers have 7 fouls at 14:20 in 2nd half and only 3 or 4 the rest of the way until late in the OT.

As mentioned, defense (or lack thereof) on the 3 at end of regulation was inexcusable.  Need to be aware of the situation, but I guess it's hard to shift from help-mode defensive mindset that you've been playing 39 minutes and 55 seconds.  Non-flop call on Garcia on the other end to give Minnesota the possession to tie was bad.  They'd let that 'contact' go the entire game.  Typical inconsistent and WTF officiating.  Glad NU could finally make some FTs.

Garcia was like a fish out of water...flopping back and forth.  He seemed more interested in trying to drawing fouls at both ends of the court rather than playing the game.  

Derrick probably has a lot of bruises on his chest from Garcia and Payne "backing him down".  Those 2 were throwing their shoulders into him and the refs just let that contact go.  

Glad we got out with a win, though.  

My irrational hope and joy continues! Man these games age me. I was 41 when this season started. I am now 173. Walker is so fun to watch. I remember there being discussions he's done playing basketball after college. No one will convince he couldn't make some nice money overseas if he continued playing professionally. I could totally see him in a quasi Draymond Green role. 

First time we've been over .500 16 games into the season in Fred's tenure. (And guaranteed to be over .500 after 17 games as well.)

Sunk below .500 for good in game #11 in 2021-22; game #9 in 2020-21; and game #9 in 2019-20.

Considering all that, nice to be 9-7. Also nice to have the head-to-head tiebreaker against another 9-7 team. That never hurts in the eyes of the committee.

Tough ass win against a struggling but gutsy team.  Really liked that we limited the number of 3's that we shot.  Really liked taking the ball to the paint.  Really liked our work at the stripe.  Good effort and a good win.

We are the better ream, but didn't always act or look like it.  

Need to keep the MOJO going and tske care of a struggling Illinois team.

8 minutes ago, throwback said:

First time we've been over .500 16 games into the season in Fred's tenure. (And guaranteed to be over .500 after 17 games as well.)

Sunk below .500 for good in game #11 in 2021-22; game #9 in 2020-21; and game #9 in 2019-20.

Considering all that, nice to be 9-7. Also nice to have the head-to-head tiebreaker against another 9-7 team. That never hurts in the eyes of the committee.

The committee?!

THE COMMITTEE?!

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

You want to see some bad basketball, watch the women on now.

On the men’s side, I would submit the Michigan/Michigan State rugby match on wood. Under 100 total points was very much in play with 8 minutes to go in the 2nd half. What an awful display of basketball.