RUTGERS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

this was the one game that i thought would be a "for sure" road win.

i have mentioned this before, but, this team has had issues with layups in many games...even in games they have won. just don't stick out as bad. 

i hope coach williams was slamming her clipboard against the wall and doing some serious butt chewing. i'm not sure what her locker room demeanor is when confronted with these type of losses. 

IF, and that is probably a big if, they make the NCAA's....this is the type of loss that can do serious damage to seeding.

didn't get to watch the game, thought i would rush home and catch second half.....however, when i turned the game on the phone in the car and matt was mentioning the 3pt shooting (0-22) and how badly they were missing layups, i decided i might as well run errands instead. 

wow................just wow.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

Rutgers had us well-scouted.  Seems like they knew exactly what we were going to do, combined by a stone-cold shooting performance.

Husker Ladies lose by 12 Pts; 45-57.   ☹️

Final Stats:

image.png

image.png

Everyone has us well scouted because we try to the same thing every game.  No adjustments on offense. 

What in the tarnation. . . Nebraska against KU looked like a decent, tough-minded team, but then today at Rutgers & even parts of the game against Michigan, the Huskers basically look like UNO (as in when UNO played at Nebraska = 'brutal').

Amy Williams has to figure out how to piece this back together, missing Allison Weidner is a HUGE blow to this squad as she's the "glue" for the Big Red. Maybe A.W. needs to consider what a passing 'big' from the high post could do for offensive continuity, that type of flow has helped Fred Hoiberg's squad this year. I suspect that it wouldn't look worse than launching 22 threes and connecting on exactly none. That was a freakin' shame.

Well that was uglier and stinkier than dog poop on the soles of your shoes.  Other than a few good drives from Sam, I can't find the shadow of a hint of a whisper of silver lining.  For a couple years now I have been perplexed at HWBB inability to consistently convert on lay ups. I mean point blank lay ups.  I watched Iowa-Michigan and saw many many shots from the post tickle the nylon - and not just wide open shots.  Two games with 5 point quarters ???? There is too much talent on this team for that to ever happen.  But today it didn't show up. JS's misses on 3s were bad misses and she had no penetration game either. To my amazement AM was pretty close to a non factor.  To a tourney selection committee, this might look worse than blow out losses to Creighton and Drake. Hello NIT

The women's basketball performance at Rutgers was mostly horrific, in part to a head coach who does not know how to adjust, call effective timeouts,, or run an offense against a zone defense.  The current offense of tossing the ball around the perimeter with it usually starting by going to the right side in many cases ending up with someone hucking up a three point prayer and lack of offensive rebounding after that (outrebounded 46 to 35 by Rutgers).  Our 4's and 5's get too low to the basket when they do get a pass and rather than passing out to an open player, either get tied up or a turnover or put up a poor 
shot through a crowd.  Players generally lack movement on offensiv or are not shot ready if they do get a screen.  The team lacks 10-12 foot jump shot shooters (Weidner could) and people to drive the lane and possibly get fouled as well (Weidner  could).  Sam needs to do more on this (played 28 min against Rutgers0)and Shelley as well.  The team if they play like they did against Rutgers, Creighton, Drake, or the overtime against Indiana.   There are no pud teams to play in the Big Ten going forward, so the coaches and team need to suck it up with better plans and efforts!

34 minutes ago, Redhac said:
The women's basketball performance at Rutgers was mostly horrific, in part to a head coach who does not know how to adjust, call effective timeouts,, or run an offense against a zone defense.  The current offense of tossing the ball around the perimeter with it usually starting by going to the right side in many cases ending up with someone hucking up a three point prayer and lack of offensive rebounding after that (outrebounded 46 to 35 by Rutgers).  Our 4's and 5's get too low to the basket when they do get a pass and rather than passing out to an open player, either get tied up or a turnover or put up a poor 
shot through a crowd.  Players generally lack movement on offensiv or are not shot ready if they do get a screen.  The team lacks 10-12 foot jump shot shooters (Weidner could) and people to drive the lane and possibly get fouled as well (Weidner  could).  Sam needs to do more on this (played 28 min against Rutgers0)and Shelley as well.  The team if they play like they did against Rutgers, Creighton, Drake, or the overtime against Indiana.   There are no pud teams to play in the Big Ten going forward, so the coaches and team need to suck it up with better plans and efforts!

Does anybody feel that losing coach Love has anything to do with the post play this season. The new post coach does not seem to be getting much improvement from the posts.  

Edited by Fastbreaker

We all know the great mental toughness that Allison W. brought to the team.  That really seemed to be lacking yesterday as even Amy W. said as much.  The big question to me is was it just a one game occurrence or more going forward.  Outside of the Maryland game we have been poor on the road.

While everything mentioned previous is probably true, the game of course showed our dependency on three shooting. It may have also demonstrated our lack of the short to mid range shot. And driving to the basket.

We kind of got overwhelmed at Rutgers. Deer in the headlights look maybe. Need coaching and players that respond with fearless fight to win. (doesn't every team ?) 

Hopefully Coach Amy can get them out of the disappointed dumps, and fire them up. This teams a  pretty proud group, so see them turning it around.

With our offense anyone in the paint is on their own. Not many inside passes between fellow players. But we do show flashes of it. 

Lastly, like mentioned already, we do need the Weidner toughness, and fearless type player(s). Krull comes close in her temperament. Issie, Sam, etc etc. There are others too.

Edited by redsteve

Coach Love was Associate Head Coach at the end.  The quote below is from his bio on the Husker web site.

"Love, who oversees Nebraska's player development program across all positions, spent four seasons as an assistant women's basketball coach at South Dakota, helping the Coyotes to 96 victories, a trio of Summit League titles and four straight trips to the conference tournament title game. He helped USD to a 32-6 record and a 2016 Summit League regular-season championship. The 2015-16 season culminated with a 2016 Postseason WNIT championship. In 2014-15, the Coyotes also won the Summit League regular-season title and advanced to the WNIT."