Coach Amy Williams on Sports Nightly (pre-Rutgers Game)

Red Don

6 hours ago, Red Don said:

Through about the first 55 mins of the broadcast.

Thanks for posting, Red Don 👍

So, was Trinity Brady officially diagnosed with a concussion from that earlier game? And she’s been held out for concussion recovery protocol this whole time? Seems like a long time. And like the fan said, Trinity hasn’t even been seen on the bench for several games now. Why? 
But true to form, Coach Amy was vague and nonspecific about the whole matter.  I feel like Coach Amy could improve at being a more direct, concise communicator. She can tend to drone on and talk for an extended period of time without saying anything concrete or highly informative. 

9 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

She did mention one thing about Allison.  Evidently, she has played in over 30% of our games, so does not qualify for a medical year.

True.  But the WBB program kept the fans in the dark for a week after that Kansas game regarding the nature/severity of Allison’s injury. 
Sorry, I don’t mean to sound like an overly critical, entitled fan. Just hungry for info about this program which is why I value this forum so much as an info resource. 

4 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

True.  But the WBB program kept the fans in the dark for a week after that Kansas game regarding the nature/severity of Allison’s injury. 
Sorry, I don’t mean to sound like an overly critical, entitled fan. Just hungry for info about this program which is why I value this forum so much as an info resource. 

I wasn't being critical of your post.  I've seen the question asked, if Allison could get a medical hardship.  I was just providing information.

55 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

So, was Trinity Brady officially diagnosed with a concussion from that earlier game? And she’s been held out for concussion recovery protocol this whole time? Seems like a long time. And like the fan said, Trinity hasn’t even been seen on the bench for several games now. Why? 
But true to form, Coach Amy was vague and nonspecific about the whole matter.  I feel like Coach Amy could improve at being a more direct, concise communicator. She can tend to drone on and talk for an extended period of time without saying anything concrete or highly informative. 

I was the one who texted in the question about Trinity but there was more to the text than what Matt read.  Here is the text in it's entirety:  "This is Larry from Lincoln presently in Arizona question for the coach is can you give us an update on Trinity Brady and Nia Dillard haven't seen them at any games for at least several weeks or on the Christmas theme picture."      Some where the text was filtered.  Amy probably didn't see the full text.

48 minutes ago, HUD said:

I was the one who texted in the question about Trinity but there was more to the text than what Matt read.  Here is the text in it's entirety:  "This is Larry from Lincoln presently in Arizona question for the coach is can you give us an update on Trinity Brady and Nia Dillard haven't seen them at any games for at least several weeks or on the Christmas theme picture."      Some where the text was filtered.  Amy probably didn't see the full text.

You are being kind.  For some reason, no one talks about Dillard.  Thanks for asking the question.

5 hours ago, Neb Nets said:

Yes she has been.

I was told that Bourne for sure wont be back next year. I think we need to move on past Brady and Dillard. And if I remember we have like 2 incoming freshman this next year. So I feel like we could use like 6 transfers next year. I have not been a fan of Amy with not using the scholarships she is alloted. I really really like Amy but I dont ever see her getting these girls to the top of the pack of the BIG 10. Not sure how long Alberts lets that go as I think we can afford a proven coach. But I also shouldnt complain about winning seasons either. 

29 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I was told that Bourne for sure wont be back next year. I think we need to move on past Brady and Dillard. And if I remember we have like 2 incoming freshman this next year. So I feel like we could use like 6 transfers next year. I have not been a fan of Amy with not using the scholarships she is alloted. I really really like Amy but I dont ever see her getting these girls to the top of the pack of the BIG 10. Not sure how long Alberts lets that go as I think we can afford a proven coach. But I also shouldnt complain about winning seasons either. 

I agree.  Trev, and WBB staff, should aim higher. 

Regarding Brady and Dillard, we wouldn't be abandoning them.  Dillard already has a degree and is a graduate student, without finding the court (through no fault of hers). Brady is in her 4th year. She played some at the beginning and end of her freshman year, but sat out the middle with concussion issues.  On December 6th of her sophomore year, she was injured, and sat out the next 2 years with various injuries. She is now in her 4th year, again missing games with concussion issues. It might not be in her best health interest, to keep playing. There are probably medical hardship type options, if more schooling is needed.  

Edited by 12dozen

On 1/9/2023 at 8:37 AM, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Been thinking about this post. If I’m being honest, I’ve also wondered if Coach Amy has “reached her ceiling” in terms of how far she is capable of taking the NU WBB program. Especially in a league as brutal as the B1G. But she runs a clean program and her players have always seemed to like and respect her.
Is it our job as fans to manage our expectations and be realistic about the program’s potential? A lot of us are NU VB fans and are a bit spoiled - we look at the sustained national success of that program and think, “well, why not the WBB program too? Why can’t NU be a perennial top 5 WBB program as well?”  
Not sure that’s realistic. 

I think it is somewhere between "Amy has not reached her ceiling - there is room to grow" and "becoming a perennial top 5 or 10 program is not realistic".  I think NU WBB can be an often ranked team that from time to pulls an upset and seldom or never embarrasses itself - such as the clunker at Rutgers.

I keep coming back to this - after a coaching staff and facilities, the next thing a team needs is players - both quality and quantity of players.  And it seems like every year the quality is good enough to be that team that plays consistently solid, but it runs out of players.  I watched the Michigan-Iowa game and counted 15 players on both teams.  Same with other teams that come here.  Yes, losing AW was a blow, but injuries happen to other teams too but when a player goes down, they have choices re which bench player will be asked to step up.  As already discussed here, the Huskers repeated have scholarships available but unused as well as used scholarship being occupied by players forever on the injured reserve list. I don't know if multiple offers have been made to potential recruits who got away and there was just not any HS or JC players left.  Maybe that's it.   

And in this regard, next year doesn't look any better. We lose Sam for sure, probably Izzy, and Jazz possibly. So we are looking at losing two or three and adding only two. Bottom line - we need transfers. It would be interesting if Amy - on one of her radio shows - were asked why we have unused scholarships. 

Something else that we haven't mentioned much - as the season wears on I come to think that losing Cravens was more impactful than I expected. 

WBB can and should be a top 25 team every year. I do think there is room for Amy to get better as a coach. Part of her growth I think can come from not only her years on the bench but also from her assistants. As has been talked about here, Keller has been a nice addition. But this has been her first change in quite sometime. I do think we should be dancing almost every year and those off years should be rare. 

Unless you bring in a guy or two, might have been hard practicing 5 on 5.  13 players on the roster, including Dillard, Brady, Mendelson (volleyball), Sam (injured early) and Allison (injured now).  Izzie was out a bit.  I'm sure others have had issues.  Bodies would help, even if preferred walk-ons.  Are the numbers a result of staff preference? Recruiting? If recruiting, why?  Effort? Staff isn't that good at it? Program doesn't have the recruiting support system needed? Budget restraints?  Who knows.

We sure could use a win tonight.  My posts are much too negative as of late.  Sorry.

To put it simply, Coach has about a .625 record while at Nebraska, doing things under her direction.  Player coaching, team offensive and defensive schemes, game management, recruiting, roster management, etc  etc. 

Such that it is.... Is that what is needed for the program to be successful in the long run? Is it where it needs to be going forward?

On this forum we can be pretty demanding, and real disappointed when we lose.  Fan expectations to high?

The BIG is a tough conference.  Had better record while at previous schools. 

5 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

WBB can and should be a top 25 team every year. I do think there is room for Amy to get better as a coach. Part of her growth I think can come from not only her years on the bench but also from her assistants. As has been talked about here, Keller has been a nice addition. But this has been her first change in quite sometime. I do think we should be dancing almost every year and those off years should be rare. 

I agree with this.  I had grown accustomed to the previous coach getting us to the NCAAs most years, with a few WNITs sprinkled in (except for her first year and one really off year after we lost a lot of the team after our almost-undefeated season).  I feel that having the same expectations of Williams as I did of Yori is reasonable.  I will also note that I have largely lost interest in watching this team, happened about 2 or 3 years ago for me.  Not having a player connection to the program is part of it.  Another part is that I watch more and more non-NU WBB, and then when I switch to a game of ours that is actually televised, it seems like a drop-off.  TBH, I prefer to watch Creighton, and I never thought I would say that.  So one of my questions is this - how much longer does NU wait?

53 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I agree with this.  I had grown accustomed to the previous coach getting us to the NCAAs most years, with a few WNITs sprinkled in (except for her first year and one really off year after we lost a lot of the team after our almost-undefeated season).  I feel that having the same expectations of Williams as I did of Yori is reasonable.  I will also note that I have largely lost interest in watching this team, happened about 2 or 3 years ago for me.  Not having a player connection to the program is part of it.  Another part is that I watch more and more non-NU WBB, and then when I switch to a game of ours that is actually televised, it seems like a drop-off.  TBH, I prefer to watch Creighton, and I never thought I would say that.  So one of my questions is this - how much longer does NU wait?

So when you ask how much longer does NU wait, are you saying that you feel it’s time for NU to move on from Williams? 
I’m on the fence. Check back with me in mid-March. 

Does anyone have the specific numbers for scholarships this year.  It looks to me like the team had at least 13 players on scholarship at the beginning of the year.  That did not leave a lot of flexibility for the coaches.  So it seems as the numbers might be an issue of injury/circumstance.

4 of the 6 years Amy has been here we have had a post season appearance (counting the covid shutdown as we had a winning record and think we would had received an NIT invite). She is 1-3 in games played with the lone win in 2021 when almost no fans was allowed. Even if we just fell completely apart I still think she would be back next year. That said I do think she would be given more direction from Trev. That could be roster size, and/or coaches. 

14 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

But the numbers are her doing.

Yup.  I agree.

In today's world, perhaps the toughest thing to build is depth.  Players can easily transfer for perceived greener pastures if playing time, et al, is not satisfactory.   Then if injuries occur, there can be a pretty drastic drop-off.  To be one of the top schools, you have to find a way to build depth in both the front and back court.  Or you better hope your team stays injury free.  This season, this team faces that double whammy.  We did not have sufficient depth, and then came serious injuries.