INDIANA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Game Recap:

https://huskers.com/news/2023/1/1/womens-basketball-nebraska-at-no-4-indiana.aspx

3 hours ago, Red Don said:

Free throw discrepancy is #18 for Indiana, vs. 4 for Huskers. :Confused:

This reminds me of another game where there was an outrageous foul discrepancy; Iowa as I remember. image.gif

Speaking of Iowa, we'd better hope image.png the officiating crew for our upcoming game 1/28 is Not the Same as for Indiana.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, Tom Jones said:

SMH that Mendelson got only 8 minutes.  Not saying that I know better than the coaches - just that I don't understand. she scored on her only attempt, got 3 rebounds and blocked a shot. 

Puzzles me too.  My only thought, with so few practices, she isn't in BBall shape yet?  Or, still behind the learning curve?  Regardless, she sure seems to contribute when on the floor.   Another puzzler (to me);  wondering why we went to Sam at the end of regulation, and beginning of OT. She looks better every game, but still seems to be playing into shape.  She was probably running on fumes towards the end.

Yet, it was a great effort.  Out numbered 8 - 5 (stripes), still took them into OT.  Proud of our ladies.

Edited by 12dozen

4 hours ago, Red Don said:

We had our chances to Win but couldn't quite pull it off. I'm impressed with the team, and the young players showing their moxie.

The game should really never have been that close - with even officiating in the first 4 quarters we win!
FT shooting discrepancy 30 image.gif - 9. Fouls 10-21 image.gif
(and that over and above the other missed calls)

(If there is any doubt officiating made The Difference, Stat lines for Both teams is nearly identical, Except Indiana made 24 FTS (on 34 tries) vs Huskers 5 FTS (out of only 9 tries)

image.png

Indiana is # 4? (as Tommy Prothro might have said: "Fourth? They aren't even 44th!)
Indiana better hope the same officials referee all their games

4 hours ago, Red Don said:

We had our chances to Win but couldn't quite pull it off. I'm impressed with the team, and the young players showing their moxie.

The game should really never have been that close - with even officiating in the first 4 quarters we win!
FT shooting discrepancy 30 image.gif - 9. Fouls 10-21 image.gif
(and that over and above the other missed calls)

(If there is any doubt officiating made The Difference, Stat lines for Both teams is nearly identical, Except Indiana made 24 FTS (on 34 tries) vs Huskers 5 FTS (out of only 9 tries)

image.png

Indiana is # 4? (as Tommy Prothro might have said: "Fourth? They aren't even 44th!)
Indiana better hope the same officials referee all their games

14 hours ago, caveman said:

Nice effort.  The only thing I didn't like was the lack of presence on the post.  Alexis and Maggie only had 8 shots collectively.  4 of 8 by my count is 50%.  If you're 50% or better you need to be fed the ball more

Yes, for sure, when you look at it with 5 defenders and three Refs to deal with we still did really well. 

There's reasons we didn't score in the post.

Two or three things were happening (done by Indiana) to prevent low post scoring.  One, and obvious, was double and triple teaming Alexis and Maggie (and anyone else getting inside)  Indiana knew what damage Alexis could do if they just played her one on one.  Got to give it to Indiana coaches, they had a plan. They knew they probably couldn't stop Alexis with only one defender. (We've seen this before, it wouldn't be the last time)

Another is close guarding of our guards to prevent passes inside,  and fouling a lot....that wasn't called ....and it entered into it too. 

But ultimately,,,the free throws difference was....the difference 

Edited by redsteve

29 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Yes, for sure, when you look at it with 5 defenders and three Refs to deal with we still did really well. 

There's reasons we didn't score in the post.

Two or three things were happening (done by Indiana) to prevent low post scoring.  One, and obvious, was double and triple teaming Alexis and Maggie (and anyone else getting inside)  Indiana knew what damage Alexis could do if they just played her one on one.  Got to give it to Indiana coaches, they had a plan. They knew they probably couldn't stop Alexis with only one defender. (We've seen this before, it wouldn't be the last time)

Another is close guarding of our guards to prevent passes inside,  and fouling a lot....that wasn't called ....and it entered into it too. 

Agree.  Most of the turnovers by Jazz, were efforts to get the ball inside.  Amy best figure out how to handle this.  Other coaches will see how effective Indiana was, and game plan accordingly.

Jazz has to be more careful with her passes.  She needs to reduce the low percentage ones.  The worst was the no look pass to Maddie Krull.  Maddie was cutting to the basket and Jazz thought she was going to stop but didn't.  Also our posts don't do the best job kicking the ball back out when covered.  This was true last night as the refs seldom called a foul when we were taking it to the hoop but most of the time when Indiana was.

It seems to me we only score when we penetrate and pass out for a three or hit a post in scoring position.  We have no one who can pull up and hit a midrange jump shot.  Indiana probably got to the free throw line more because they took the ball to the basket plus Holmes was more effective with numerous post moves drawing fouls.  Yes, the officiating was suspect but that’s not new in Women’s BB.  

Illinois looked impressive beating Iowa.  I am not confident that we can get enough wins to make the NCAA. 

4 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

It seems to me we only score when we penetrate and pass out for a three or hit a post in scoring position.  We have no one who can pull up and hit a midrange jump shot.  Indiana probably got to the free throw line more because they took the ball to the basket plus Holmes was more effective with numerous post moves drawing fouls.  Yes, the officiating was suspect but that’s not new in Women’s BB.  

Illinois looked impressive beating Iowa.  I am not confident that we can get enough wins to make the NCAA. 

Weidner was good at taking it to the hoop.  Also encouraging, Sam finished at the hoop a couple of times against Indiana.  She will only get better, as her conditioning improves.  Callin might be another. Time will tell.  Penetrating, and kicking out, is getting predictable.  We've had quite a few of those passes, getting intercepted lately.  Nothing easy in this league.

I re-played the game and watched several of the foul calls in slo mo and blow up.  Viewed that way, the officiating was not nearly as bad as it seemed when watching live. Indiana players had quicker hands and feet and were more able to avoid body contact and getting their hands on shooters's arms. As for Huskers' post play - tho I just love AM and her effort, too many times - even more often than in her freshman year - she gets the ball in the lane and then freezes up.  I wish she would either go up with the ball or turn and drive to better position or kick the ball back out instead of just holding it and waiting to get tied up get called for traveling.  Indiana's Holmes and the two big girls on the Iowa roster, and the center for Kansas all have DECISIVE quick moves to the basket. as tho they knew before the pass came to them what their move would be rather than catching the ball first and then figuring it out.  Late in the game, AM, apparently trying to avoid the overhead defense, backed away from the basket up the center of the lane and put up some low percentage shots.  I say all this many years removed from ever myself having tried to avoid a mobile defender holding arms up in front of me!  I love watching AM and appreciate her effort

19 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

I re-played the game and watched several of the foul calls in slo mo and blow up.  Viewed that way, the officiating was not nearly as bad as it seemed when watching live. Indiana players had quicker hands and feet and were more able to avoid body contact and getting their hands on shooters's arms. As for Huskers' post play - tho I just love AM and her effort, too many times - even more often than in her freshman year - she gets the ball in the lane and then freezes up.  I wish she would either go up with the ball or turn and drive to better position or kick the ball back out instead of just holding it and waiting to get tied up get called for traveling.  Indiana's Holmes and the two big girls on the Iowa roster, and the center for Kansas all have DECISIVE quick moves to the basket. as tho they knew before the pass came to them what their move would be rather than catching the ball first and then figuring it out.  Late in the game, AM, apparently trying to avoid the overhead defense, backed away from the basket up the center of the lane and put up some low percentage shots.  I say all this many years removed from ever myself having tried to avoid a mobile defender holding arms up in front of me!  I love watching AM and appreciate her effort

agree with much you have stated.........AM got her got her uni turned to ashes by some of Holmes moves. idk, maybe because of fouls, but, it wasn't pretty (for AM). when huskers tried to double team Holmes, most of the time it was too late. needed to close in on her faster and take their chances.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

55 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Weidner was good at taking it to the hoop.  Also encouraging, Sam finished at the hoop a couple of times against Indiana.  She will only get better, as her conditioning improves.  Callin might be another. Time will tell.  Penetrating, and kicking out, is getting predictable.  We've had quite a few of those passes, getting intercepted lately.  Nothing easy in this league.

Weidner had a nice pull up jump shot. 

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I share your concerns about not even making the NCAA.

On offense I feel like our team relies too heavily on the 3 point shot (I felt that way last year too) Yes, sometimes we have a great shooting day from downtown and we are very tough to beat….but other days, it’s CLANK City.  If you live by the 3, you will eventually die by the 3 and it won’t take you to the promised land 

17 hours ago, Neb Nets said:

I share your concerns about not even making the NCAA.

On offense I feel like our team relies too heavily on the 3 point shot (I felt that way last year too) Yes, sometimes we have a great shooting day from downtown and we are very tough to beat….but other days, it’s CLANK City.  If you live by the 3, you will eventually die by the 3 and it won’t take you to the promised land 

looking at the schedule, i think there are 5 games where huskers will be notable 'dogs. many toss up games and a few they should win.