MICHIGAN GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Back from the game.  That my friends was an ugly loss.  We shot poorly and you cannot miss open looks like that against a good team.

Michigan had a good game plan that worked well.  They shut down our paint and we simply settled on throwing up three's, and again it was an ugly shooting night.

Also didn't appreciate hearing Leah Brown yelling an f-bomb while coming to her bench at a time out.  Classy.

From the "something to like about it" file ...... How about the play of Callin Hake!?!    three three pointers and a drive to the basket that one would find surprising for an 18  year old freshman playing against a top 20 team.  She was open and ready for two other 3 pt tries when her ever hounded teammates didn't see her. She has very few minutes of playing time so far this year, but now with AW on the bench I think she will be playing more and I look forward to seeing it. 

24 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Back from the game.  That my friends was an ugly loss.  We shot poorly and you cannot miss open looks like that against a good team.

Michigan had a good game plan that worked well.  They shut down our paint and we simply settled on throwing up three's, and again it was an ugly shooting night.

Also didn't appreciate hearing Leah Brown yelling an f-bomb while coming to her bench at a time out.  Classy.

Yeah Brown is one of those players that makes you say I hate her but if she played for us… shrug. I didn’t really her then either😐

If there is a silver lining it is that other players will have to step-up.  I think we saw a little of that in Callin Hake's play and Kendall Moriarity tonight.  They will of necessity get more minutes and opportunities to improve their games than they otherwise would have.  The player I'd like to see improve their game is Kendall Coley - I think she will get the chance.

Post-Game Press Conferences

Coach Amy Williams (6:13)

Jaz Shelley & Callin Hake  (3:02)

We just can't come out like we did in the 1st against a top 20 team. This has been a trend of late. Thought our best on ball defenders last night was Jaz, and Callin. Callin appears to be someone who is ready to go after more court time with Allison out (all 19 minutes in just three quarters of play). Think we may need to shake things up a bit as to court time. Could see Callin gain more time if her play continues.

Just returned from attending last night’s game.  First, a nice crowd that at times was the loudest I had heard in my times at PBA.  Second, Michigan delivered a knockout blow in the first 5 minutes.  Third, Allison is a huge loss until someone steps up to take up the slack.  Callin Hake really impressed me with her scrappy play.  Fourth, Kendall Moriarity needs to gain some confidence in her offensive game.  We need some consistent scoring.  

Michigan is very good and they might might be better without a Hillmon.  Brown is an effective playmaker and the Wolverines were far more efficient in their offense which resulted in getting, good, high percentage shots.  No time to sulk, Indiana might be better. 

On 12/28/2022 at 10:33 AM, All About the Corn said:

Today should be a good game. I hope we have officials that make good calls both ways. Too often they call phantom fouls or they totally ignore fouls right in front of them.

The officiating was, at best, inconsistent.  Rough, physical play was allowed too much and cheap fouls called too often.

9 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Just returned from attending last night’s game.  First, a nice crowd that at times was the loudest I had heard in my times at PBA.  Second, Michigan delivered a knockout blow in the first 5 minutes.  Third, Allison is a huge loss until someone steps up to take up the slack.  Callin Hake really impressed me with her scrappy play.  Fourth, Kendall Moriarity needs to gain some confidence in her offensive game.  We need some consistent scoring.  

Michigan is very good and they might might be better without a Hillmon.  Brown is an effective playmaker and the Wolverines were far more efficient in their offense which resulted in getting, good, high percentage shots.  No time to sulk, Indiana might be better. 

Yep, the game was pretty much over after 5 minutes.  NU battled but couldn't get over the hump after the terrible start.  I agree Michigan is better without Hillmon - the rest of the team is freed up not trying to force the ball to 1 player.  Their game plan to double team NU's smaller guards and force them 35 feet away from the basket was well done.  That said, Nebraska needs to make a few shots - they had some chances.

Indiana lost to MSU tonight.  Go figure.

This game was a total 180 from the one played at PBA almost a year ago. In the January game we was ready to play from the opening tip and Michigan was not. They had the cold shooting start. Also not lost on me is Nolan was going through a rougher 3 point drought than Stewart. She was 2 for 18 in her previous 4 games. Really only need to watch the first few seconds. Jaz with a 5 second call. We just did not come ready to play. 

2 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

This game was a total 180 from the one played at PBA almost a year ago. In the January game we was ready to play from the opening tip and Michigan was not. They had the cold shooting start. Also not lost on me is Nolan was going through a rougher 3 point drought than Stewart. She was 2 for 18 in her previous 4 games. Really only need to watch the first few seconds. Jaz with a 5 second call. We just did not come ready to play. 

I agree and that is some what on the coaches. Just like in Volleyball when Knuckles got hurt we came out and played poorly the next two games.  Both Cook and Williams described the injuries as "losing the heart and soul of the team."  

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Indiana losing to Michigan State is another ominous sign of how difficult the B1G is this season. We need role players to become headliners.

Well said. The league is tough.  It's hard to see role players becoming headliners except in one or two cases.

Edited by HUD

3 hours ago, HUD said:

I have not heard anything about changing the limits about how close the camera people and equipment  can be ti the floor.  Has anyone noticed a difference.

The camera people were set up as they always are.  I have seen other players and other sports make contact with the cameras/equipment and people.  Typically there are no injuries.  This was a perfect storm.  Allison hit hard and at a bad angle.  It was ugly.

Ohio St just beat Mich. by about 10. Brown fouled out and another Mich girl. Brown was on the edge to a technical when she fouled out and at games end.

It was a slugfest....could have been 25-30 more total fouls that didn't get called...(by both teams) Very aggressive defenses. The type we have problems handling.

Athletic play by both teams.  Ohio St's big... is big.  European probably. 

Either one are probably sweet 16 teams or better.

Edited by redsteve