KANSAS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Hope someone will share the status of Weidner’s injury as soon as it’s made official by the WBB program. 
It would be a gutting loss if she’s out for the season. High basketball IQ, great rebounding for a guard, great defense…she just has a nose for the ball and can impact a game without even scoring a point. She makes things happen out there. 
Lord, I’m hoping she can be back this season 🙏

11 hours ago, longtimefan said:

If Weidner's injury is season-ending (looks bad), that will really hurt the team.  She does everything for us.  Haiby looked close to being her old self.  That will help a lot. I really like what I've seen with Mendelson.  She's a good rebounder, good at blocking shots or at least makes it harder to shoot inside, hustles and has an inside game.  She shoots free throws well.  She hasn't attempted a 3 pointer yet but I think she will knock a few down.  In the warmup against Wyoming I saw her make 6 3's in a row.  Nice looking stroke.  Sorry to bag on Steward but her best asset is shooting 3's and she can be streaky.  She has no inside game and doesn't play good defense.  I think her playing time will be decreasing.

I think Maggie, backing Markowski at the 5, will make Stewart more effective.  She doesn't have the length or quickness to play the post.  She will contribute at the forward positions. And you mentioned, she can really shoot.

Good to have Sam and Izzie back.  But, neither seemed 100% yet.  Both played a bit tentatively.  It might take a few games to get up to speed.  Fortunately, it is still December.  Lots of battles between now and March.

With Weidner out, we'll need others to bring the energy, every game.  Might be time to feature the "Kendalls".  I expect MM will also contribute, more and more.  She seems to naturally keep balls alive, scramble, scrap, and compete full throttle.  Number 44 was certainly worth the wait.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

By the way, on the play where Weidner was injured, she made a terrific,  hard ass, hustle play.  That my friends cannot be understated!

Get well soon!

Absolutely.  She made a great play after another stupid turnover from a bad pass from Jazz to Alexis setting up the fast break that Allison stopped.

Edited by HUD
addition

I'm for whatever it takes to get Maggie more playing time.  Usually in Amy's system you play your way into more minutes.  She is on the right track.  A complete player.  By the end of the season I think we will all be amazed.  As for Stewart she is in a 3 pt shooting slump hitting 1 for 12 in her last 3 games.  Hopefully that will soon end as that is where she really contributes.

11 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

i don't know about having 40 and 44 on the court together.  Presuming only that both of them require some amount of rest, whatever amount of time they are on the court together will mean that for some comparable amount of time neither will be on the court. 

I agree.  Markowski has been known to pick up a few fouls.  Without an adequate backup, there were times, I feel, she throttled down a bit.  Probably, instructed to do so.  Not necessary now.  Let her go full tilt, then bring in Maggie.  And, I think both are best in the post.  Let Izzie and Stewart handle the "4".  

:ph34r:  First time I've noticed it, but did anyone else notice Asst Coach Jessica Keller near the end of the game during the timeouts in Overtime?

She seems really intense; and focused on coaching-up the team. :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap: Hard to tell what she was saying from the TV, but it would be interesting to know what fans who sit behind the Husker Bench have to say. :nod:

I'm impressed with her intensity. She seems like a great addition to the Coaches; and a good compliment to Coach Amy Williams. :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

51 minutes ago, Red Don said:

:ph34r:  First time I've noticed it, but did anyone else notice Asst Coach Jessica Keller near the end of the game during the timeouts in Overtime?

She seems really intense; and focused on coaching-up the team. :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap: Hard to tell what she was saying from the TV, but it would be interesting to know what fans who sit behind the Husker Bench have to say. :nod:

I'm impressed with her intensity. She seems like a great addition to the Coaches; and a good compliment to Coach Amy Williams. :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

Yep, noticed her on the floor talking to the team during a timeout. She was very ANIMATED 😃

2 hours ago, HUD said:

Depending on the matchups with the team we are playing I am still holding out hope to see Issie play some at the 3 position.  The emphasis is on some.  

Issie is very versatile and mobile,....with some size to boot. She's probably a combination 3-4 and some 5 on occasion....with a little extra thrown in on occasion... like a fast break.  You can't, and don't want to, pigeon hole her to one spot. 

With Alexis development in the paint, it's allowed Issie to be more than a 3-4-5 and move around the floor.  With Maggie now being another presence inside, it opens up the offense even more for the guards.

We had 8 blocked shots...don't recall that many for a long time.  Alexis and Maggie had 2 each....and their 6'-6" center only had 1.  Shows who's putting out the extra effort.

I can see us start both of our big's to get some control of the lane, and then rotate them, and go to both on occasion, We had some of them in together last night. It always was very affective. 

The effort and focus last night was remarkable. Pure adrenalin rush and gutted it out. It seems some of that rubs off of Alexis. She and Weidner's will to win is a big part of this teams makeup.

Yes, saw assistant coach Keller's intensity during timeouts. Fire in the eyes. Saw it in the girls too.

She looks like a good hire to me.

Edited by redsteve

50 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Issie is very versatile and mobile,....with some size to boot. She's probably a combination 3-4 and some 5 on occasion....with a little extra thrown in on occasion... like a fast break.  You can't, and don't want to, pigeon hole her to one spot. 

With Alexis development in the paint, it's allowed Issie to be more than a 3-4-5 and move around the floor.  With Maggie now being another presence inside, it opens up the offense even more for the guards.

We had 8 blocked shots...don't recall that many for a long time.  Alexis and Maggie had 2 each....and their 6'-6" center only had 1.  Shows who's putting out the extra effort.

I can see us start both of our big's to get some control of the lane, and then rotate them, and go to both on occasion, We had some of them in together last night. It always was very affective. 

The effort and focus last night was remarkable. Pure adrenalin rush and gutted it out. It seems some of that rubs off of Alexis. She and Weidner's will to win is a big part of this teams makeup.

Yes, saw assistant coach Keller's intensity during timeouts. Fire in the eyes. Saw it in the girls too.

She looks like a good hire to me.

Their center may have had only one official block, but she sure changed a lot of shots that led to a significant number of misses in or near the paint.

One thing I'd like to know is why does it seem like our posts can play pretty good defense on a driving guard and make them take a hard shot, which they miss, but we stand with our hands straight up for awhile after the shot and then the ball is rebounded by other team. It seems like it happens often. Maybe I just imagine things lol

38 minutes ago, twister31 said:

One thing I'd like to know is why does it seem like our posts can play pretty good defense on a driving guard and make them take a hard shot, which they miss, but we stand with our hands straight up for awhile after the shot and then the ball is rebounded by other team. It seems like it happens often. Maybe I just imagine things lol

It could be that they are preparing to absorb a player control foul and then cannot reestablish rebounding position quickly enough.

1 hour ago, twister31 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing last night.

6 hours ago, twister31 said:

Three words repetition repetition repetition. 

Ball goes up box out and look for ball.  Practice and game repetition is the only way to get there.

from a slow mo replay of the injury it appears that she came down hard on the patella.  It could be bruised, displaced, or fractured.  Let's hope for a bruise or displacement.  ... "A patella dislocation occurs when the knee cap pops sideways out of its vertical groove at the knee joint. It's usually caused by force, from a collision, a fall or a bad step. A dislocated patella is painful and will prevent you from walking, but it's easy to correct and sometimes corrects itself."