KANSAS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

That would've been a tough one to lose, considering the fairly big lead right before half and what seemed like many chances to make a shot or FT down the stretch.

That being said, great job battling until they could finally hit a couple of big shots in 3rd OT.

Hope that everyone can get and/or stay relatively healthy for the rest of the year.  That would nice Christmas present for the program.

Edited by NUtball

Back home.....wow!

Emotional rollercoaster. 

Hearing Weidner screaming while crumpled on the floor is at the bottom of my list of things  ever hearing again.  Just saying.

Maggie is a real good one.

Great to see Sam doing better.

Great having Izzy back.

Edited by Huskerpapa

If Weidner's injury is season-ending (looks bad), that will really hurt the team.  She does everything for us.  Haiby looked close to being her old self.  That will help a lot. I really like what I've seen with Mendelson.  She's a good rebounder, good at blocking shots or at least makes it harder to shoot inside, hustles and has an inside game.  She shoots free throws well.  She hasn't attempted a 3 pointer yet but I think she will knock a few down.  In the warmup against Wyoming I saw her make 6 3's in a row.  Nice looking stroke.  Sorry to bag on Steward but her best asset is shooting 3's and she can be streaky.  She has no inside game and doesn't play good defense.  I think her playing time will be decreasing.

10 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

She was on crutches so it does not look good.

correct.......crutches usually don't tell a good story. coach sounded a little emotional talking about allison and the team at the very beginning of matt's postgame interview. she did add, will have to wait for final evaluation. 

Krull played 42 minutes! hopefully, she can find more offense going forward. Moriarity, too. 

Weidner will be back............maybe not as soon as fans hoped, but, she will be back!

Edited by whoopdeedoo

8 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

It also looked like after the game during the post game huddle as her teammates was giving her a hug she was tearing up some.

yes..........even a couple camera shots of her on the bench after she returned one caught her wiping her cheeks. the latter one, you could see her eyes were still "welling up". though i am only going by that, just gives me a feeling she knows it isn't good.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

The good:   Great team D led to a win over a top 20 team while shooting < 40%.  
                    Mendelson quickly emerging as a quality post addition.

The bad:     Weidner obviously.  She provided some scoring (not much last night) but it’s her energy, athleticism and defensive     
                     intensity that will be virtually impossible to replace.

Regarding the earlier discussion about concerns over the 3 position, this issue becomes even more muddled without Weidner. In a 3 guard offense that most teams seem to be running now I’m not sure how the 3 differs much from the 1 and 2.  It’s not rebounding, at least for us, since Jaz and Alison are the primary guard rebounders.  It’s not 3-point shooting either.  In my perhaps overly simplistic thinking we have two posts and 3 more or less interchangeable guards.  We have no ‘pure’ point guard or shooting guard.  The posts seem solid, especially adding MM.  At G we now have Jaz and the 7 dwarfs.  Sam is the 2nd option but her health and minutes are uncertain.  All the remaining G options COMBINED for 6 points and 5 rebounds in a substantial minutes last night, albeit with very good defensive contributions.  
It seems to me we either need 30 minutes from Sam, or someone else to step up and give us fairly consistent 10 and 5.