KANSAS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-3, 2-0 Big Ten)
vs. 20/24 Kansas Jayhawks (10-0, 0-0 Big 12)
Wednesday, December 21, 2022, 6 p.m. (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena - Lincoln, Nebraska
Tickets: 
Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED
Live TV: Nebraska Public Media
Ana Bellinghausen (PBP), Kara Graham (Analyst)
Live Video: B1G+
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (5:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (107.3 FM), Omaha (590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App
Special Event: Husker Holiday Game

Huskers Face Fourth Top 20 Foe with Kansas
The Nebraska women's basketball team returns to Pinnacle Bank Arena for the fourth game of its five-game home stand when the Huskers take on No. 20 Kansas Wednesday. 

Tip-off between Nebraska (9-3, 2-0 Big Ten) and the Jayhawks (10-0, 0-0 Big 12) is set for 6 p.m. (CT) in Lincoln. Live statewide television coverage will be provided by Nebraska Public Media with a video stream for subscribers of B1G+. Ana Bellinghausen and Kara Graham will be on the television call. The game also can be heard on the Huskers Radio Network with Matt Coatney and Jeff Griesch on 107.3 FM in Lincoln and 590 AM in Omaha, the Huskers App and Huskers.com.

Watched Kansas a couple of times. Their big is the strength of their game. Athletic and can dominate the boards. She would do well in the B!G. Somehow limit her and we have a chance.  Alexis and Mendelson are maybe the key 

Have a couple of guards that are scorers. Pretty much play the 5 starters most of the games...and they do most of the scoring. .....subs play maybe 10%-15% of the time. 

Not flashy, etc... they play fairly disciplined team BBall schemes offensively and defensibly. Just play good basketball. (well coached) They shoot with good percentages, so consistent. But don't rely necessarily on the 3.... like a Creighton or Drake.

They haven't played a real tough schedule so far...but it's still pretty much still  preseason. Played one top 25 team and beat Arizona...who was undefeated at the time. 

We do have a chance for sure.....our rebounding, defense, turnovers must be under control.....and we need to shoot for 40 + or better percentages overall...maybe 33% 3's...like every game I guess.

Any word on Issie?

Edited by redsteve

53 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Surprised they didn't move this one up with the impending weather.  Should be a heck of a game and a great chance for the ladies to take a step in the right direction.

I'll Be There (Streaming, of course :Redface: And hoping the internet doesn't go out - like last night) 

I was going over the roster in my mind last night (in no particular order (with apologies for anyone inadvertently left out)  Alexis, Allison, Jaz, Issie, Sam, Annie, Maddie, Moriarty, Coley, and of course, Maggie. (oops, left Callin out :Redface:, who has been doing a great job, along with Trinity and Nailah, recovering from injuries)  What a Roster Coach Williams has assembled right under our noses, almost without us realizing it.  🎇

2 hours ago, HUD said:

We need more scoring and offensive rebounding from the three position.  We are averaging less then 4 points and 1 offensive rebound per game from that position between the 3 players who have been there. Trinity B., Maddie K. and Kendall M.  

Good thoughts. What’s your opinion on K Coley playing the 3 spot?  Defensively, I think it’s great - I love her length and athleticism. She could maybe develop into a lockdown defender in the vein of what Nicea Eliely was.  Offensively, does Coley have the ball handling skills to be a threatening 3 i.e. to be able to slash, to penetrate towards the hoop and either dish it off to an open teammate or finish with a layup?

But I also like Moriarty’s development lately. I think she’s a gem. 

3 hours ago, HUD said:

We need more scoring and offensive rebounding from the three position.  We are averaging less then 4 points and 1 offensive rebound per game from that position between the 3 players who have been there. Trinity B., Maddie K. and Kendall M.  

from listening to Matt, wouldn't be surprised if Brady doesn't play rest of the season.

19 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

I would hope Brady takes a medical at this point and calls it a career. 

I feel awful for both Brady & Dillard. Talk about a couple of injury-plagued careers. Also felt awful when Taylor Kissinger had to retire early due to an injury. Sometimes it just ain’t in the cards 😢

1 hour ago, Neb Nets said:

Good thoughts. What’s your opinion on K Coley playing the 3 spot?  Defensively, I think it’s great - I love her length and athleticism. She could maybe develop into a lockdown defender in the vein of what Nicea Eliely was.  Offensively, does Coley have the ball handling skills to be a threatening 3 i.e. to be able to slash, to penetrate towards the hoop and either dish it off to an open teammate or finish with a layup?

But I also like Moriarty’s development lately. I think she’s a gem. 

Kendall C. came to us as a highly rated wing player but due to lack of forwards has been stuck there.  I would like to see her at the three as her playing time will drop as Maggie M. get's more.  I would like to see her and Kendall M. share the three.  At the sports nightly Amy Williams show Monday night I texted the following " Coach Williams do you ever see a line up with Maggie M., Alexis M. and Issy Bourne playing at the three?"  She said "nothing is beyond reason as Issy played there in the past but has really found her niche the past year at the four position."    

Husker Ladies Lead by 8 at the Half!!! 37-29  :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

In a tight, Defensive Game.  Huskers had a great 2nd Qtr, but Kansas' Jackson was out most of the Qtr w/2 fouls.
Great Defense by EACH and Every Husker Player.  Mendelson is becoming an impact player in her second game! :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

image.png
image.png

Edited by Red Don

Our defense is playing real well.  We're better than them at the floor game. Markowski is playing well.  

Their saving their big for the second half.  Without her, they're not the same team.  She does have an attitude. Need to get her to foul a lot more.

Second half will be a wild one probably.

Edited by redsteve