unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 13: vs. Queens

HuskerFever

A couple of concerns:  We seemed to give up a good number of offensive rebounds to a team that was not that tall.  Wilcher just feels like a turnover waiting to happen when he has the ball.

The good:  I feel better about this team in a game like this in that they can get stops and they can get stuff in the paint instead of trying to match shots with a team like Queens.  We looked sloppy at times but also got good shots off well executed plays and did what we had to do to win the game.

Had to figure tonight would be a bit disjointed with small crowd and with guys ready to go home. Our vets played solidly and make sure it wouldn't be a trap loss with a quick start. Just kind of kept them at arm's length the rest of the way.

Ultimately, we won all our buy games & had one pretty major win, so it's a solid start to the season. 

I though I was being generous by predicting 6 non-con wins - and that was assuming Walker played the entire way. So a 7-4 non-con is pretty solid. Hopefully we can play even better in the B1G going forward and at least make things interesting over the final month.

Big game coming up vs Iowa.

Edited by throwback

43 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

A couple of concerns:  We seemed to give up a good number of offensive rebounds to a team that was not that tall. 

They're a team that hunts offensive rebound and they missed a ton of shots. In terms of offensive rebounding %, this was actually their worst game of the year

Was there.  We won.  It wasn't pretty, but hey...they now get some time off.

I am not going to go into detail, but I saw these refs before the game.  I knew they were going to be bad, and they were.  Not sure how a couple of them are even allowed to ref major college basketball.

Funny,the three refs of the first game sat in the floor seats during the second games.  Let's just say they were enjoying their beers and beer runs.  Hope they drove home safely. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

Was there. Sat down in the front rows..

sparse crowd. Cold night.

D-Wayne was the DJ but not mic’d up.

Came out with good overall intensity and effort in defense was very good. Up close, it’s very impressive how much they rotate and recover with good closure. Lawrence needs to work on his technique, he got called for a few fouls on three point shots. 
WB is showing some nice strides and improving.

KT - glad to have him. At times he was our best option offensively. 
Overall, too big and strong for Queens. SG and Walker could score inside almost every time. 
Anyone hear what if anything is up with Dawson?  He didn’t get in at all. 

7 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Came out with good overall intensity and effort in defense was very good. Up close, it’s very impressive how much they rotate and recover with good closure. Lawrence needs to work on his technique, he got called for a few fouls on three point shots. 

Overall, too big and strong for Queens. SG and Walker could score inside almost every time. 

rothstein of all people tweeted he was available for this game. I assume that meant he was held out at K-state due to an illness. Another potential is that Lawrence has taken his minutes. JL seems to be an all-around better player just doesn’t have the size and athleticism of denim. 

8 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We set the tone early and then did enough to keep the game out of reach the rest of the way.

We need to figure out how to miss less 3s either by making more or taking less.

Spot on. We're 315th nationally in 3pt% at .297, yet we take almost 22 a game.

FH adjusted his defense to his personnel, he needs to do the same with his offense. Gary is 4th in 3pt attempts, even though he has hit just 22% over his career. He's taken more than twice as many as Sam, who hit 38% last year at NDSU. I love Gary's game otherwise.

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

We've noticed this as well.  No floor time in at least two straight, maybe more.  He looked fine in warm ups.  We assumed it was DNP due to coaches decision.  Lawrence appears to have jumped over him.

*-Nebraska put five players in double figures, the third time this year Nebraska put five players in double figures
*-Derrick Walker tied a career high with six assists, matching his previous best set against Penn State in the 2021 Big Ten Tournament
*-NU held Queens to 33.8 percent shooting, the Royals’ lowest percentage of the season. It is the sixth opponent held to 40 percent or less this year. NU has held three straight opponents to 40 percent or fewer. Queens entered the contest shooting 47 percent from the floor for the season.
*-Nebraska shot 52.5 percent from the field on the evening, the fifth time this season the Huskers have shot 50 percent or better.
*-Walker finished with 13 points, his seventh double-figure effort in eight games
*-Nebraska out-rebounded Queens 41-35, as Queens was entered the game with a +10.9 rebounding margin.
*-Keisei Tominaga had 15 points off the bench, his eighth double-figure game of the season, including seventh off the bench
*-Nebraska finishes non-conference play with a 7-4 mark, including the Huskers’ first unbeaten home non-conference record since 2018-19.

If I had fell into a coma the day before the season opener and woke up today, and you told me Nebraska went 7-4 in non-conference, I would have thought we won two games in Orlando (which was realistically best case scenario). So I'm very happy with where we are at right now. A lot of guys are visibly getting better. Onward and upward.

Watched the game on BTN+.  Announcers were fun, it was Strickland and I think the woman that is an anchor on the ticket.  I felt like we jumped out really well at first, then kind of used it like a scrimmage.  I think some guys are ready to go home for a couple of days and showed it in the second half.  I really like this team and am hoping for the best for them because they deserve a post season tournament if they keep the good play going.