unelinstu's postgame chatter: vol 15, ed 12: vs. Kansas State

uneblinstu

I’m just not seeing how this ends well.  If this was our “year 1” I’m really excited.  It’s taken 4 years to find a team that plays hard and competes.

KSU has a first year head coach.  FIRST YEAR!!!  I WISH we could have a year like they’re having any year.  All the mo from the past three games is gone.  At least for me.

We reverted back to old habits early in the game.  Our shooters are inconsistent at best.  It’s frustrating.

This may be an emotional post, and we may be fine.  But I’m pissed dang it.  I want this so bad and each year seems to be the same… we’re 6-6 in the toughest conference in the nation… or one of the toughest.  We’ve had 7, 7, and 10 win years the past three years.  Some teams will have more wins this year than we’ve had the past three. And here we sit at 6-6 with one cupcake and 18 games against some of the best.

I hope I can eat crow on this post.  I WANT to.  I’m ready for crow.  But man… I just don’t see how this season ends up any different.  Maybe we get to 12 wins. That’d put us at 36…. In four years.

Going only off the radio broadcast and Fred’s postgame interview, the first half was not a good effort or performance.  Clearly, we are not a good shooting team but K-State may be a better team than credited.  Bright spots have to be Wilhelm and Lawrence. Hopefully, that will help their confidence down the road. 

I'll be over this in a few days. K-state looked pretty good, but I wanted that one after last year

-Sam looked passive in the second half, which probably led to his hook. He was also late on a few rotations which led to open 3 balls for KSU. Bando helped initiate the comeback by pushing the pace. Illness may have effected it also, but he was not playing well. Need him to be better. 

-Happy to see Lawrence and Wilhelm get some confidence during this game. Lawrence may have taken Lawrence's rotation spot, and if he is aggressive and attacks the rim while providing spacing, I get it. Dawson had no confidence on offense for a while, which opened the door for Lawrence. With Wil, he's important to the long term progress of this program. Knocking down shots today off boards and the bounce compliments the offense greatly. Need consistency. 

-Bad shooting game from Keisei and CJ. Need at least one to knock down shots to space the floor for the drivers. Ever since CJ's 20+ point effort at IU, he's not shooting well. Keisei is aggressive, which I appreciate. Just didn't fall

Nothing else really to say. That sucked. I still have more confidence in this group vs years past, but they need to get one of these wins. I personally think we match up well with Iowa if we can get out to their shooters, but need to take care of Queens first. It's their first year in DI after being in DII, I'm not worried about it at all. 

Keyontae was 9-13, the rest of his team was 15-47. In college basketball, one elite difference maker is the difference. We may never know with 100% certainly if Keyontae would have committed here (although we know he was here with his family at the absolute deadline AFTER visiting KSU), but we do know with 100% certainty Fred and this staff were denied the chance to lock him up by his very own athletic/compliance dept.  which is the type of crap that fans of this moribund program have been putting up with for far too long. 

He was 100% coming here prior to some misguided information from a doctor outside of the group that Nebraska typical consults with, to the chief decision maker (not Fred).

Seeing the kid dominate tonight certainly makes it even more frustrating in regards to how all of it went down.

Edited by HF_

I went to the game. It's a damn shame we didn't get Johnson because he's exactly the type of player we are missing. I'm not sure how many games this team can win with that type of shooting it was BAD.

I was thinking about this during the game. I like Fred but seeing what K-State was able to do with their new coach why oh why can't we just do that in any sport? There is nothing better about Manhattan,KS than Lincoln and yet I'd argue Snyder 2.0, Webber, Kleinman, and now Tang have all been more successful than any of our hires. It's frustrating.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I’m just not seeing how this ends well.  If this was our “year 1” I’m really excited.  It’s taken 4 years to find a team that plays hard and competes.

KSU has a first year head coach.  FIRST YEAR!!!  I WISH we could have a year like they’re having any year.  All the mo from the past three games is gone.  At least for me.

We reverted back to old habits early in the game.  Our shooters are inconsistent at best.  It’s frustrating.

This may be an emotional post, and we may be fine.  But I’m pissed dang it.  I want this so bad and each year seems to be the same… we’re 6-6 in the toughest conference in the nation… or one of the toughest.  We’ve had 7, 7, and 10 win years the past three years.  Some teams will have more wins this year than we’ve had the past three. And here we sit at 6-6 with one cupcake and 18 games against some of the best.

I hope I can eat crow on this post.  I WANT to.  I’m ready for crow.  But man… I just don’t see how this season ends up any different.  Maybe we get to 12 wins. That’d put us at 36…. In four years.

This team just isnt good.  No shooters or scoring.  I got sucked back in after the Crayton win but now they suck.  The defense has to win games but at what cost does that disrupt what little offense they have?

Kelly is a joke, and all fans need to let him know that next game he is in Lincoln.

We still had a chance halfway through the second half even though everything (including our defense) pointed against it. That gives me a little promise, but we still need to make some shots.

We can win any game in the country if one of CJ or Keisei is hot. We will win any game in the country if both are hot. Neither were hot tonight.

Whoever said that WB will be Ubel was spot on, except that Wilhelm has more natural ability and could be better long term under the right circumstances 

JLaw is still a true freshman, but it’s starting to matter a lot, and could be a long term great idea he hangs around 

If we're talking bare bones, basic fundamental basketball. Triple threat, dribbling, passing, shooting. Does Jamarques Lawrence not look like the most naturally fluid basketball player on the roster? His shooting mechanics are the best on the team, without question. Compact, no wasted motion. He dribbles with his hand on top of the ball, which is unheard of nowadays. Snaps crisp chest passes. He's turned the ball over 3 times in 80 minutes of gametime as a true freshman. I think he got some good coaching as a kid (and was coachable). When he's on the court and involved in the play, he just moves and looks like a guard being coached by Mark Few or Jay Wright. I know there's a lot more that goes into being a productive and effective college basketball player. I thought all these same things about Thomas Allen, but he clearly wasn't one of our best players when he was here. Hope JL sticks around so we can watch him progress. 

Walker picked a bad day to have his worst game of the season. 

Gary is an elite rebounder. 11 more of them last night. 

I had a feeling this game would be a letdown after the tough stretch we had. We'll see how the team bounces back. Queens won't be a walk in the park.

Edited by millerhusker

12 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Keyontae was 9-13, the rest of his team was 15-47. In college basketball, one elite difference maker is the difference. We may never know with 100% certainly if Keyontae would have committed here (although we know he was here with his family at the absolute deadline AFTER visiting KSU), but we do know with 100% certainty Fred and this staff were denied the chance to lock him up by his very own athletic/compliance dept.  which is the type of crap that fans of this moribund program have been putting up with for far too long. 

Good player, but our season shouldn't hinge on a last second transfer who may not pass a physical.

Postgame notes from UNL

*-Tonight's game at Kansas State was NU's sixth Quad 1 game of the year, including fifth on the road/neutral site.
*-Sophomore Wilhelm Breidenbach finished with 13 points topping his previous career high of 10 vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Nov. 20. It is his second double-figure game of the season and his career.
*-Juwan Gary had a career-high four steals, eclipsing his previous high of three set six other times. His four steals tonight are the most by a Husker this season.  Gary also matched his career high with 11 rebounds, which he had done two other times, most recently at St. John's on Nov. 17.
*-Freshman Jamarques Lawrence had a season-high nine points, as he entered the game with four points in eight games.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

*-Freshman Jamarques Lawrence had a season-high nine points, as he entered the game with four points in eight games.

Could this be more of a go to option if CJ isn’t firing?  Sometimes it takes a little push from the reserves to get a starter going.  Is there any way those two might have some PT battles in the near future?

Edited by hskr4life

Same old, same old Nebrasketball.  Just can't shoot the ball.  A few games sprinkled in throughout the season where a couple of guys get hot, but no consistency.

If they can keep up the defensive intensity and ugly up the games, they'll still win a few, but you simply can't win consistently when you can't put the ball through the hoop.

KSU was very active on the defensive end and exposed NU's lack of ball-handlers.