Gotta haves, portal or otherwise

Norm Peterson

15 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Your volume citation of Verge is misleading because Chucky plays more minutes per game than Verge did. His shot%, the % of his teams shots he takes while on the floor, is a quite reasonable 24.6%. That number in conference is 22.7%. (for reference, Verge was 28.9%).  In short, he's not the ball hog you're making him out to be.  Certainly doesn't matter though as I highly doubt he's leaving Wisconsin.

According to https://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin&year=2023  he's 3rd on Wisky in usage, behind big men Tyler Wahl and Crowl. Plus, the usage numbers are really low for about 8 of the guys on their roster who basically just keep the ball moving on offense.

Chucky does take some poor shots, but he's as close as they have to someone who's a "creator."

35 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Your volume citation of Verge is misleading because Chucky plays more minutes per game than Verge did. His shot%, the % of his teams shots he takes while on the floor, is a quite reasonable 24.6%. That number in conference is 22.7%. (for reference, Verge was 28.9%).  In short, he's not the ball hog you're making him out to be.  Certainly doesn't matter though as I highly doubt he's leaving Wisconsin.

My intention wasn’t to mislead or to portray him as a ball hog. There are plenty of high volume players who I wouldn’t label as ball hogs. I don’t think his (lack of) efficiency warrants him getting the volume of shots that he takes. Some of it may be what’s asked of him, but if you watch their games you see Gard often visibly upset with his decision making. He’s 36% on 2FG and that is quite abysmal. Nebraska doesn’t have a rotation player under 45%+ 2FG. And based on his basketball history and his poor FT%, his current 3FG% is an anomaly. 
We love Chucky. 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, millerhusker said:

1. Grant Nelson

2. Hunter Sallis

3. John Tonje 

That’s all I ask 

So, Sallis is 7th on his team in minutes this year at just over 16. His offensive numbers are fairly pedestrian. He is dishing 4.25 assists/40 minutes. For comparison, Griesel is dishing out 4.1 while playing 33 minutes per game. So, respectable assist numbers. His 3-point shooting is also Griesel-esque at 30.8 compared to 31.4.

You gotta figure Gonzaga is recruiting over him. You gotta figure he knows Gonzaga is recruiting over him. He's not putting up NBA Lottery Pick numbers, for sure. He probably doesn't want to continue to ride the pine even if it's for a ranked team.

Maybe there's a chance he'd be looking for a fresh start and thinking he could make his mark at Nebraska.

I'd take him, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, Sallis is 7th on his team in minutes this year at just over 16. His offensive numbers are fairly pedestrian. He is dishing 4.25 assists/40 minutes. For comparison, Griesel is dishing out 4.1 while playing 33 minutes per game. So, respectable assist numbers. His 3-point shooting is also Griesel-esque at 30.8 compared to 31.4.

You gotta figure Gonzaga is recruiting over him. You gotta figure he knows Gonzaga is recruiting over him. He's not putting up NBA Lottery Pick numbers, for sure. He probably doesn't want to continue to ride the pine even if it's for a ranked team.

Maybe there's a chance he'd be looking for a fresh start and thinking he could make his mark at Nebraska.

I'd take him, I guess.

The games I watched him play this year the announcers make him out to be a great defender.  I have not seen enough of the Zags to tell.

Colorado St is having perhaps a more disappointing season than we are. Yet, John Tonje is having a career year. He's played in 4 seasons now, but would have an extra year of eligibility due to Covid. If he swung our way for some reason, we'd get one season of a guy who shoots nearly 40% from 3-point range.

Given how CSU's season is going, there's reason to think he might be interested in trying something else for his final season of basketball. And playing in a big time league might be an inducement.

2022-23
2021-22
2020-21
2019-20

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
21 30.4 45.2 39.0 78.7 5.0 1.2 0.4 0.9 1.8 2.0 13.2
30 25.3 46.1 36.4 82.1 3.0 0.9 0.2 0.4 1.7 1.0 9.1
28 20.2 38.9 31.3 85.7 2.9 0.8 0.2 0.4 1.5 1.1 6.6
31 8.5 46.1 43.5 67.7 1.0 0.3 0.0 0.2 0.9 0.5 3.6

So, @millerhusker if you just look at things on paper, it seems reasonable to suppose that both Sallis and Tonje could potentially not only enter their names in the portal but also find their way to Nebraska if they did.

I assume you'd slot them both as starters. Who would you insert around them?

I'm leaving out the NDSU kid because these other two at least have some Nebraska connections that might draw them back here. And they both fill positions of need, for sure.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The games I watched him play this year the announcers make him out to be a great defender.  I have not seen enough of the Zags to tell.

As an athlete, he actually reminds me quite a bit of Dawson but with better handles.  I would joyously welcome another Dawson esque defender.  I friggin love that kid.  I think Lloyd will have similar perimeter defensive abilities.  

18 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

As an athlete, he actually reminds me quite a bit of Dawson but with better handles.  I would joyously welcome another Dawson esque defender.  I friggin love that kid.  I think Lloyd will have similar perimeter defensive abilities.  

Ditto on Dawson's defense. As good as Bando has been, Dawson has been just as good.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, @millerhusker if you just look at things on paper, it seems reasonable to suppose that both Sallis and Tonje could potentially not only enter their names in the portal but also find their way to Nebraska if they did.

I assume you'd slot them both as starters. Who would you insert around them?

I'm leaving out the NDSU kid because these other two at least have some Nebraska connections that might draw them back here. And they both fill positions of need, for sure.

I'd want Sallis in what Bandoumel's role ideally would be as a three level scorer and secondary ball handler. In this situation I suppose our starting point guard would be on the current roster. Either Quaran or Ramel. I'll take Quaran, if healthy. It sounds like Tonje's weakness is defense, so he may be similar to CJ on that end. That can be somewhat masked with a couple other legit perimeter defenders on the court. By all accounts, Quaran is a tenacious defender. People will realize pretty quickly that Ramel lacks lateral quickness. He definitely isn't going to look like Bandoumel, Dawson or even Sam on defense. However, if we need more of an offensive weapon in that spot, Ramel could be the guy. 

In the frontcourt alongside Gary, hopefully a versatile transfer. Fit-wise, I do think a player like Traudt or Nelson would be perfect next to Gary. Gary could be more productive and efficient next to a big who can play outside the arc. Not worried much about interior defense. We're going to double the post anyway. Keita is a 6'11" 245 traditional center who is supposed to be a very good post defender. When he was healthy and active, we still doubled the post every time. It's just going to be part of our defensive philosophy. If we don't get a transfer in this spot, I think it'll be Wilhelm. Hopefully he improves and becomes what we thought he could be. 

We could have a really solid bench next season as our freshman continue to progress (assuming we get some immediate help through the portal). Lawrence, Ramel, Dawson, Keisei, Keita, Oleg, Rice. Might be hard to whittle that down to an 8/9 man rotation. 

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

I'd want Sallis in what Bandoumel's role ideally would be as a three level scorer and secondary ball handler. In this situation I suppose our starting point guard would be on the current roster. Either Quaran or Ramel. I'll take Quaran, if healthy. It sounds like Tonje's weakness is defense, so he may be similar to CJ on that end. That can be somewhat masked with a couple other legit perimeter defenders on the court. By all accounts, Quaran is a tenacious defender. People will realize pretty quickly that Ramel lacks lateral quickness. He definitely isn't going to look like Bandoumel, Dawson or even Sam on defense. However, if we need more of an offensive weapon in that spot, Ramel could be the guy. 

In the frontcourt alongside Gary, hopefully a versatile transfer. Fit-wise, I do think a player like Traudt or Nelson would be perfect next to Gary. Gary could be more productive and efficient next to a big who can play outside the arc. Not worried much about interior defense. We're going to double the post anyway. Keita is a 6'11" 245 traditional center who is supposed to be a very good post defender. When he was healthy and active, we still doubled the post every time. It's just going to be part of our defensive philosophy. If we don't get a transfer in this spot, I think it'll be Wilhelm. Hopefully he improves and becomes what we thought he could be. 

We could have a really solid bench next season as our freshman continue to progress (assuming we get some immediate help through the portal). Lawrence, Ramel, Dawson, Keisei, Keita, Oleg, Rice. Might be hard to whittle that down to an 8/9 man rotation. 

Yeah I don't know, man. I think our biggest need is a primary ballhandler/distributor who can score when needed.

We have plenty of guys who can shoot 30% from 3-point range. And while the comparisons to Bandoumel are good ones, he needs to be a guy who can step into the PG role.

I think he can be a lot better shooter than Bandoumel. I also think his highlights show a kid with excellent speed and quickness, explosive leaping ability, good length, and reasonably good handles who is shown to make some solid passes.

If he played point, he strikes me as the balance of a guy who *can* score but probably could run the offense as well.

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yeah I don't know, man. I think our biggest need is a primary ballhandler/distributor who can score when needed.

We have plenty of guys who can shoot 30% from 3-point range. And while the comparisons to Bandoumel are good ones, he needs to be a guy who can step into the PG role.

I think he can be a lot better shooter than Bandoumel. I also think his highlights show a kid with excellent speed and quickness, explosive leaping ability, good length, and reasonably good handles who is shown to make some solid passes.

If he played point, he strikes me as the balance of a guy who *can* score but probably could run the offense as well.

That's fair. Sallis can definitely be a primary ball handler and initiate an offense. 

Gonzaga has three guards ahead of Sallis in the rotation that will be back next year. We need to start the tampering now. 

Edited by millerhusker

I think one of the odd silver linings about all these injuries is that young kids will get some reps who would otherwise ride the pine, and we and the coaches will get an opportunity to see them play.

Gonna get a good look at Jamarques Lawrence tonight, I would think. Think I kinda already know what we have with Denim and the other freshmen.

If Hunter leaves I heard AZ is a top consideration. The Loyola Chicago kids from NE are probably both leaving but do not think they are Big10 level.

If Hunter is going anywhere AZ would be his first choice because of how big of a role Tommy Lloyd played in his recruitment. And agree wholeheartedly on Thomas and Dawson. FWIW Thomas is no longer a part of Loyola’s program. No longer listed on the roster either.

50 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

If Hunter is going anywhere AZ would be his first choice because of how big of a role Tommy Lloyd played in his recruitment. And agree wholeheartedly on Thomas and Dawson. FWIW Thomas is no longer a part of Loyola’s program. No longer listed on the roster either.

That's up there with Saint Christopher being dropped from the liturgical calendar 

I have zero information or sources to back this up, but I just cannot see Hunter Sallis playing for Nebraska. He has some other school or Creighton (if he were to come back) written all over him. Just my gut instinct. 

The comparison of John Tonje to CJ is fairly accurate, but honestly I think Tonje is better. Just my opinion. Just a better "basketball player," imo.

The NDSU guy would be an incredible get. 

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I have zero information or sources to back this up, but I just cannot see Hunter Sallis playing for Nebraska. He has some other school or Creighton (if he were to come back) written all over him. Just my gut instinct. 

The comparison of John Tonje to CJ is fairly accurate, but honestly I think Tonje is better. Just my opinion. Just a better "basketball player," imo.

The NDSU guy would be an incredible get. 

I forgot we weren't even in Hunter's final 8 schools. On to the next. 

I want Kevin Cross to portal back in to take Walker’s spot next year.  He must come full circle.  

Sallis would slot into Bando’s role pretty well.  Very curious to see if he leaves Gonzaga after this year. 

Like Norm said, we really could use a strong point guard.   Sam is decent but we really could use a guy who is a plus ball handler and facilitator.  Sam is a good physical mismatch at the position but I really love PG’s to be like Glynn Watson.

23 minutes ago, busticket said:

I want Kevin Cross to portal back in to take Walker’s spot next year.  He must come full circle.  

Sallis would slot into Bando’s role pretty well.  Very curious to see if he leaves Gonzaga after this year. 

Like Norm said, we really could use a strong point guard.   Sam is decent but we really could use a guy who is a plus ball handler and facilitator.  Sam is a good physical mismatch at the position but I really love PG’s to be like Glynn Watson.

Akoy Agau did it!  But he also had like 6 stops, so Cross has a ways to go in that department.

Edited by hskr4life

On 1/26/2023 at 9:31 AM, Cowboy Kermit said:

I heard Saint Thomas had left the team for mental health reasons.