Gotta haves, portal or otherwise

Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, bleujay said:

I would be surprised if Sallis didn't transfer, but why would Traudt?? He knew what he was stepping into, in a spotlight article a couple weeks ago he seemed pretty confident about his place and future role in the program.

Allegedly because he's not at all happy there, and he's tight with his girlfriend who plays volleyball at Creighton.

34 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Why???  He is correct as those are names to keep an eye on since could potentially transfer.  

Could they potentially transfer? Sure. Would Nebraska be a legitimate option for either? Probably not, maybe Traudt but even saying maybe is a stretch. 

Telling Nebraska fans to "keep an eye" on these two is getting people's hopes up for no reason at all. Only reason for Nebraska fans to keep an eye on either is the fact they're both from here. 

21 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Could they potentially transfer? Sure. Would Nebraska be a legitimate option for either? Probably not, maybe Traudt but even saying maybe is a stretch. 

Telling Nebraska fans to "keep an eye" on these two is getting people's hopes up for no reason at all. Only reason for Nebraska fans to keep an eye on either is the fact they're both from here. 

Tap those brakes. Not saying there's a big reason but there's not no reason.

20 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

I'm no pie in the sky guy (hey, that's catchy!), but Traudt is a legitimate possibility. The school where the girlfriend plays volleyball has a couple of guys on the roster at his position, although one or both could leave. We have WB, with Gary more a wing than a 4. Not saying it's likely, but Traudt is a more reasonable speculation than Sallis. 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, basketballjones said:

I have zero information or sources to back this up, but I just cannot see Hunter Sallis playing for Nebraska. He has some other school or Creighton (if he were to come back) written all over him. Just my gut instinct. 

The comparison of John Tonje to CJ is fairly accurate, but honestly I think Tonje is better. Just my opinion. Just a better "basketball player," imo.

The NDSU guy would be an incredible get. 

This coulda been for us but if you put “NE” behind a kids name they gotta go somewhere else first. 

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the Portal.  Is it going to be a one-way running machine into next season?  With the Success the Huskers have had this year thanks to players we are losing due to graduation...will we keep who's left or are we going to lose anyone? if so...how many? This year is not the same as the last three years.  We don't have a group of hero ball players. 

I'd assume that Chucky is staying in Wisconsin but just looking at numbers I'd surmise that Chucky's would look better playing at Nebraska where he wouldn't be taking so many mid-range jumpers.  While you'd like him to have more length I'd assume that his mental game would make him work in whatever defensive scheme we decide to implement next season.

42 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Speaking of the Portal.  Is it going to be a one-way running machine into next season?  With the Success the Huskers have had this year thanks to players we are losing due to graduation...will we keep who's left or are we going to lose anyone? if so...how many? This year is not the same as the last three years.  We don't have a group of hero ball players. 

I've learned to never be surprised at departures.  Even the best leave teams looking for greener pastures.  Such is like in the portal/NIL era.  I'd be more surprised if we had 0 portal entries than 1+.  Who that would be though is anyones guess.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 3:10 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Excellent question. I think for the first time in Hoiberg's tenure here, the list of needs and must-haves is short and manageable. I think we stand a reasonable chance of finding the pieces we need.

image.png

Edited by Norm Peterson